Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share some information with you all.

My friend's Chihuahua, Kirby, had been battling reoccurring staph infections on the skin for several months.
He had these nasty, pimple-like sores all over his torso and neck. My friend took him to the vet multiple times, and Kirby would be prescribed antibiotics, one after the other, all to no avail. My friend did a little research on the Internet and learned about colloidal silver. She began applying it topically onto Kirby’s sores, and after just 5 days, the sores were completely gone, and have not come back since. A couple of weeks ago, the poor boy also developed conjunctivitis in one of his eyes, so my friend dropped a couple of drops of colloidal silver, morning and night, into his eye, and after just a day, my friend said his eye was completely fine!

I have never used colloidal silver on my fluff, but I bought some off of Amazon to have on hand, just in case. Here’s the one I bought:
Amazon.com: Sovereign Silver - 8oz. /10ppm: Health & Personal Care

I think my friend said that she purchased hers from a health food store, but I’m pretty sure they all work just the same. Anyway, just thought I’d share this with you guys.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Sarah, let us know when or if you use it and the results.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I have used it as well but it did not kill dd staph unfortunately had to use duoxo chlorhexedine shampoo and 2 rounds of clindamyacin for hers.

I used peace and kindness by chris christensen.

Be careful with it as a few vets on vet group I am on warned against it and not sure out of not knowing or because they had a bad experience

It is what they use in eye envy for the NR that does not have to be refridgerated.

It is an anti-bacterial

Many times the staph comes back as the vet does not use a long enough round of antibiotics as skin infections are much harder to kill and take about 25 days on antibiotics and if severe enough you have to do two rounds of 25 days.

Also if you do not use probiotics while on antibiotics it can come back with a vengeance as well

Also doing a skin culture helps as it determines the best antibiotic for the infection that is going on. Many dermatologists use simplicef as the first option before culturing but my dd got hives 17 days in on that antibiotic sadly so we had to go with clindamyacin.

I use the peace and kindness to spray on brushes and combs to keep them clean

I know ladymom has good success with Benzoyl shampoo but it is much stronger than chlorhexedine shampoo and our dermatologist prefers the chlorhexedine over the benzoyl in cases of dogs with sensitive skin like my dd.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
I have used it as well but it did not kill dd staph unfortunately had to use duoxo chlorhexedine shampoo and 2 rounds of clindamyacin for hers.

I used peace and kindness by chris christensen.

Be careful with it as a few vets on vet group I am on warned against it and not sure out of not knowing or because they had a bad experience

It is what they use in eye envy for the NR that does not have to be refridgerated.

It is an anti-bacterial

Many times the staph comes back as the vet does not use a long enough round of antibiotics as skin infections are much harder to kill and take about 25 days on antibiotics and if severe enough you have to do two rounds of 25 days.

Also if you do not use probiotics while on antibiotics it can come back with a vengeance as well

Also doing a skin culture helps as it determines the best antibiotic for the infection that is going on. Many dermatologists use simplicef as the first option before culturing but my dd got hives 17 days in on that antibiotic sadly so we had to go with clindamyacin.

I use the peace and kindness to spray on brushes and combs to keep them clean

I know ladymom has good success with Benzoyl shampoo but it is much stronger than chlorhexedine shampoo and our dermatologist prefers the chlorhexedine over the benzoyl in cases of dogs with sensitive skin like my dd.
Thanks for sharing, Deb. How do pups get the Staph infection of the skin? Do they know?

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Thanks for sharing, Deb. How do pups get the Staph infection of the skin? Do they know?
allergy dogs get it and ladymom dog has diabetes so they are susceptible to skin issues too.

When a dog itches their skin opens up and allows infection to set in thus causing staph.

This is why allergy dogs are best to be on coconut oil for natural antibacterial and anti-fungal healing from inside out and also probiotics to add additional good bacteria into the body to heal from inside out.

I use coconut oil topically alot too for hot spots and it works way better than neosporin and things like that.

This is why it is important to bath a allergy baby weekly to keep the bacteria down on the skin as well topically.

Allergies are no fun :(

If the body is out of balance in the gut or on the skin then the bad bacteria will take over thus causing intestinal issues or topically causing staph infections

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
allergy dogs get it and ladymom dog has diabetes so they are susceptible to skin issues too.

When a dog itches their skin opens up and allows infection to set in thus causing staph.

This is why allergy dogs are best to be on coconut oil for natural antibacterial and anti-fungal healing from inside out and also probiotics to add additional good bacteria into the body to heal from inside out.

I use coconut oil topically alot too for hot spots and it works way better than neosporin and things like that.

This is why it is important to bath a allergy baby weekly to keep the bacteria down on the skin as well topically.

If the body is out of balance in the gut or on the skin then the bad bacteria will take over thus causing intestinal issues or topically causing staph infections
Interesting! So can you use that shampoo you suggested to PREVENT Staph infections, or is that too strong if you don't already have it? Are there any shampoos that are mild and prevent the infection?

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much for sharing, Debbie. I don't know much about colloidal silver, as I've never used it on myself or Sophie, but my friend does seem to swear by it. I bought some just in case Sophie were to get a staph infection or conjunctivitis. Of course, using colloidal silver would warrant more research on my part, but I do like to avoid antibiotics unless absolutely necessary. So far, she's never been on antibiotics, and I hope to keep it that way. :) I remember reading a while back that, if colloidal silver is ingested or applied in excess, it can lead to bluish/grayish discoloration of the skin?

This is just an assumption on my part, but I would think that most vets who practice traditional veterinarian medicine are against colloidal silver use. I wonder why the vets on the vet group you're a part of warn against it? As for antibiotics, I'm not sure which ones Kirby was on, but my friend sure seemed frustrated that his condition wasn't getting better. I'll be sure to tell her about probiotics, too. Not sure if Kirby's on any. Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Lady got a very stubborn staph infection this summer and I tried colloidal silver for the first time. I was desperate because antibiotics alone don't work for her anymore. I have to battle staph on all fronts, antibiotic, benzoil peroxide shampoo plus a topical.

I got it at the health food store. I applied it topically and was very pleased with the results. I would definitely use it again.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Interesting! So can you use that shampoo you suggested to PREVENT Staph infections, or is that too strong if you don't already have it? Are there any shampoos that are mild and prevent the infection?
we use this and dillute it with distilled water only when we see any staph occur but she has been free of staph almost a year now thank goodness. She went 5 years with no staph on coconut oil and probiotics but i stopped for a while and she was a MESS. Now she has been back on her system and doing great. I stopped as she was all jacked up from metacam when she hurt her leg and spun out of control :( It was a nightmare -

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Thanks so much for sharing, Debbie. I don't know much about colloidal silver, as I've never used it on myself or Sophie, but my friend does seem to swear by it. I bought some just in case Sophie were to get a staph infection or conjunctivitis. Of course, using colloidal silver would warrant more research on my part, but I do like to avoid antibiotics unless absolutely necessary. So far, she's never been on antibiotics, and I hope to keep it that way. :) I remember reading a while back that, if colloidal silver is ingested or applied in excess, it can lead to bluish/grayish discoloration of the skin?

This is just an assumption on my part, but I would think that most vets who practice traditional veterinarian medicine are against colloidal silver use. I wonder why the vets on the vet group you're a part of warn against it? As for antibiotics, I'm not sure which ones Kirby was on, but my friend sure seemed frustrated that his condition wasn't getting better. I'll be sure to tell her about probiotics, too. Not sure if Kirby's on any. Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience.
they told me it was toxic in high doses so it scared me :( They told me to be careful. I think it is like tea tree oil which I will not use ever as toxic to cats and dogs as i saw a yorkie die from tea tree oil put on paws straight at the recommendation of someone's groomer. A groomer also had a dog die at the shop she worked at from using tea tree oil that I know.

I am just super cautious about things with my guys. I know anything in excess can be bad so err on caution especially with toy breeds.

I agree many vets are skeptical on holistic things

I was spraying it daily on her back and then a vet on group made me nervous

You are correct there was a guy who was drinking it to cure himself from cancer and he turned blue. I think he was on oprah show so you can google it

what was the ppm on the colloidal silver as I think it is the lower the ppm the stronger it is and peace and kindness is 30ppm and the other i had was 40ppm. The owner of eye envy I think gave me 10ppm at a show to make my own at a better quality. This is when i found out it was in eye envy product. She was really nice and knew i struggled with allergies with my dog.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
we use this and dillute it with distilled water only when we see any staph occur but she has been free of staph almost a year now thank goodness. She went 5 years with no staph on coconut oil and probiotics but i stopped for a while and she was a MESS. Now she has been back on her system and doing great. I stopped as she was all jacked up from metacam when she hurt her leg and spun out of control :( It was a nightmare -
Which probiotic is your favorite?

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Which probiotic is your favorite?
I have used dds plus for years now from the vitamin shoppe as it is non-dairy and it works great on my dee dee and when the dogs get diarrhea i make up 2 capsules with a little pumpkin and they are back to normal.

Demi, Dex or Lucy really do not have digestive issues ever thank goodness but dd is on steroids so she will have an occassional bout and i double up the probiotics for that day.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
I have used dds plus for years now from the vitamin shoppe as it is non-dairy and it works great on my dee dee and when the dogs get diarrhea i make up 2 capsules with a little pumpkin and they are back to normal.

Demi, Dex or Lucy really do not have digestive issues ever thank goodness but dd is on steroids so she will have an occassional bout and i double up the probiotics for that day.
Is there a drawback to using probiotics daily if the dog's digestive system is okay?

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Is there a drawback to using probiotics daily if the dog's digestive system is okay?
I am a believer now in if it is not broke I do not fix it LOL after all I have been through so I only use it daily with dee dee but with my other 3 I do not and only use if they have loose stool which is very rare if at all.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I don't think Sophie has allergies, but she does get coconut oil daily, as I'm obsessed with it. :chili: Okay, maybe not obsessed, LOL, but I do love me some coconut oil. :thumbsup:

Also, for probiotics, she does get Fage Greek yogurt daily. Do you think that is enough, or should I get probiotic supplements?

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
they told me it was toxic in high doses so it scared me :( They told me to be careful. I think it is like tea tree oil which I will not use ever as toxic to cats and dogs as i saw a yorkie die from tea tree oil put on paws straight at the recommendation of someone's groomer. A groomer also had a dog die at the shop she worked at from using tea tree oil that I know.

I am just super cautious about things with my guys. I know anything in excess can be bad so err on caution especially with toy breeds.

I agree many vets are skeptical on holistic things

I was spraying it daily on her back and then a vet on group made me nervous

You are correct there was a guy who was drinking it to cure himself from cancer and he turned blue. I think he was on oprah show so you can google it

what was the ppm on the colloidal silver as I think it is the lower the ppm the stronger it is and peace and kindness is 30ppm and the other i had was 40ppm. The owner of eye envy I think gave me 10ppm at a show to make my own at a better quality. This is when i found out it was in eye envy product. She was really nice and knew i struggled with allergies with my dog.
Yikes, that's really scary about the tea tree oil. Did the Yorkie have an infection on his paw? So sad!! I do have tea tree oil at home, but I won't be using it on Sophie.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I don't think Sophie has allergies, but she does get coconut oil daily, as I'm obsessed with it. :chili: Okay, maybe not obsessed, LOL, but I do love me some coconut oil. :thumbsup:

Also, for probiotics, she does get Fage Greek yogurt daily. Do you think that is enough, or should I get probiotic supplements?
coconut oil is very good and our vet even said they are seeing good results with it in pancreatitis dogs BUT I WILL NEVER TEST THAT THEORY lol after spending 10k to save dex from that disease lol.

I have not used Greek but is that higher in fat than goat or low fat? I am really paranoid of fats after almost losing dex. I know goat is suppose to be better than low fat for dogs as most like their mothers milk.

If it works stick to it - I only change if something spins out of control or blood work is off but demi, lucy and dee dee all had good bloodwork recently and dex is up next. Lucy had a little low T4 and we did michigan panel and it came back fine.

I do blood work yearly and every 6 mos with dee dee since on steroids. Unless I see something spin off I am sticking to my routine.

I use to jump around alot before he got sick as tried everything for dd from the time she was 6 mos and made the mistake of switching everyone to what I did for her to make it easier. That was a mistake and now I believe in treating each dog differently according to their health issues unless they have no health issues

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Yikes, that's really scary about the tea tree oil. Did the Yorkie have an infection on his paw? So sad!! I do have tea tree oil at home, but I won't be using it on Sophie.
it was straight as the dog had allergies and licking paws so groomer said to put tea tree oil on them to stop her from licking and she did straight with no dillution and the dog died. It was really sad.

The groomer I went to told me about the other dog and also the derm told me never to use tea tree on an allergy dog anyway as it is from the meleuca tree and every dog she has tested is usually allergic to that tree so it will make them worse yet it is in many of the shampoos for skin issued dogs.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I went and did a search and this was the response the vet told me :( back then

The risks of using colloidal silver as an antibacterial agent far outweigh
any possible benefits.

Have you tried using a shampoo with some chlorhexiderm?

my question was even if done topically and this is his response

> even if done just topically not ingested?

Yes, it's still toxic - it kills cells

here is his other response on it as someone asked about papa smurf the blue guy lol he said

The skin discoloration condition is celled argyria and can become permanent
along with brain damage, seizures, and coma form ingesting silver

here is his first response to me

It's toxic!
Colloidal silver works against bacteria by inhibiting enzymes necessary for
ATP production - it also works against the body's cells in the same matter.
It has also been proven to cause kidney and neurological damage.

another vet response:

Do not use colloidal silver, it can accumulate in toxic amounts fairly
easily. PLEASE just use an ordinary antibiotic. "Natural" does NOT mean better.
I could list natural things that can kill you for hours, if it would change
your mind

see why I am afraid of using it LOL

1 - 20 of 60 Posts