Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching all over for Collyrium eye drops. The only thing I can find is an eye wash with a cup called "Fresh Eyes". "Collyrium" is written on the package.

Is that what you use on your Malts? Do they have a dropper?

Poor Lady's allergies are really starting to act up as things begin to bloom down here. She gets Zyrtec, but her eyes still run.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Mar 29 2005, 02:27 PM
I have been searching all over for Collyrium eye drops. The only thing I can find is an eye wash with a cup called "Fresh Eyes". "Collyrium" is written on the package.

Is that what you use on your Malts? Do they have a dropper?

Poor Lady's allergies are really starting to act up as things begin to bloom down here. She gets Zyrtec, but her eyes still run.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=47223
[/QUOTE]

I am sure that is probably it. I don't have my bottle with me of course...but that sounds right. I think it is called an eye wash...the bottle will do drops out, but comes with a cup to use to wash...not practical for the dog in my opinion...

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Yep!
Mine was in a bigger bottle and was white instead of clear....but the same thing.
Brinkley hated me putting it in his eyes, so I quit.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, that's the one I've seen. There used to be just regular Collyrium eye drops that I have used, but they don't seem to make them anymore.

Lady never used to have a problem with tearing until these allergies started. This is a terrible time of the year for her and I think someone (JMM?) said in another thread that Collyrium works well for allergies.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
It works well to flush the eyes if they are getting pollen in them. That is what I do with Jonathan. A regular saline solution would be fine for that, too.

If they have bad allergy eyes you may ask the vet about a maintenance dose of Dexacidin drops. Mikey gets this 2-3x/week as needed if he has red eyes (he has alot of scar tissue that sometimes irritates him and also gets mild eye allergies).

Collyrium is nice for cleaning around the eyes because it is safe to get in the eyes and I like the boric acid formula. However, only addressing the underlying cause of tear staining will solve it.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I picked some up at Walmart yesterday so we'll see.

Lady doesn't really get staining from this since it's not that reddish tearing. It's clear and definately allergy related. It's tough for Maltese because they are so low to the ground. All the pollen that settles on the ground gets into their eyes, nose and mouth.

It starts this time of the year and gets worse and worse, poor thing, until the oak tree are finished dropping those squiggly things. By the end, Lady has to be on a full dose of steriods to keep her blood sugar until control. The stress on her system from fighting off the allergens makes it soar.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts