Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI guys im getting close to going nuts over Mitzi's urine.
Ok so she urinated in the am and the puppy pad has not soaked it in. She peed again and it didnt soak it in again it is a larger pee big one shes peed this big amount twice today and the color is like an orangy-yellow color i know somewhere someone had posted but i dont recall the topic, someone please help!! Is there something wrong with her kidneys ?? gosh i sure hope not. Shes acting normal playing, active, energetic, e.t.c. I am going to include a photo of her urine, i hope u dont get groosed out i just want u all to see what color and like it didnt soak thru the pad. Please help guys. THanks so much.

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/uploads/11..._1114455741.jpg
http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/uploads/11..._1114455741.jpg

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
The thickness could be crystals and the orangy could be blood. It could be as simple as an infection, in which case would be best to get her on an antibiotic right away. Call the vet, usually they want to see them for those not just a sample for some reason...
good luck hope all is taken care of quickly!

edited due to my usual bad run-on sentence habit.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Sure looks like I would talk to the vet...just to be safe.
Hugs and kisses coming her way!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I hope it's nothing serious!! If it's something that's bothering you I would take her in to the vet. You know her better than anyone else and if something seems off, better safe than sorry. Big hugs and kisses for Mitzi

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Looking at your picture it looks fine to me. Just concentrated. Does not look orange to me but yellow. But pictures can be deceiving. So for your piece of mind have it analyzed by the vet. Alex's urine is very concentrated sometimes, very dark yellow. But vet said as long as there is no blood in it there is nothing to worry about.

Does that look different to you ?

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I would think that if it does not soak through the pad this has something to do with the wee wee pad. What kind are you using ? Mine are people pads. Maybe the top layer of your pad is not as absorbent.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by MalteseJane@Apr 25 2005, 12:11 PM
I would think that if it does not soak through the pad this has something to do with the wee wee pad. What kind are you using ? Mine are people pads. Maybe the top layer of your pad is not as absorbent.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56414
[/QUOTE]

Im using ones for dogs that i got from ebay the irregular ones maybe thats why
, but since i have used them they all soak the urine up.
Maybe it is the pad. Im going to call the vet right now and see what they say . Thanks everyone for your posts, Oh no wait there out to lunch , Ill call at 2. thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
If the picture is showing the true color it simply looks a bit concentrated. A true orangy or brownish would call for a trip to the vet. the 'concentration' would likely indicate that not a lot of water had been consumed.
The 'puddle-ing" seems like it might connected to the pad itself... maybe just not as absorbant as it should be?
One thing you can do is test for hydration.. pull up on the scruff... if well hydrated the skin should immediately go back into place.. if it is a little bit slow.. slight dehydration.. if it is slow.. then pretty dehydrated and need to get some water consumed.
Also want to note though.. a pooch can have blood and indication of irritation ( crystals/stones/infection/ etc.) and not really be visable, I test Missy's every day for blood with strips her vet suggested ( do to her bladder cancer) and I have gotten positive for blood sometimes ( expected with this problem).. but to look at the urine it appears fine.
JUST TO NOTE:! I'm NOT suggesting that there is any such problem with your situation!! just want people to be aware..Missysmom

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
That's what I found :

URINE COLOR
Urine is normally yellow to amber in color, and depth of color will depend on urine volume.

However, dark urine does not necessarily indicate that the kidneys are concentrating the urine in a fluid saving effort.

Red Colored Urine
The discoloration of the urine will depend on the type of pigment causing the discoloration and the urine Ph.

HEMOGLOBIN in acid urine colors the urine a smoky brown while in alkaline urine the color is red.

If a urine sample is to be checked for Red Blood Cells it should be done as soon as possible after the sample has been collected, as RBC’s start to breakdown within minutes, releasing HEMOGLOBIN into the urine. (HEMOGLOBINURIA)

The presence of blood in the urine may indicate a variety of diseases ranging from kidney- nephritis, cysts or trauma to infections in the bladder, urethra, prostate, or genital area. While HAEMOGLOBIN only in the urine may indicate a blood disease, bacterial infection, red blood cell parasites, or even some type of chemical poisoning.

Brown Red Urine
MYOGLOBIN in the urine (MYOGLOBINURIA) is characterized by brownish red urine.

MYOGLOBIN is released from the muscle tissue following excessive exertion (RHABDOMYOLYSIS) or trauma such as torn muscle fibers.

The presence of MYOGLOBIN in the urine indicates the need for a thorough muscle check, and a blood test for muscle enzymes to rule out muscle disease.

MYOGLOBIN in the urine may also adversely affect the kidneys (toxicity) and the greyhound should receive intense fluid therapy.

Blood, Hemoglobin and Myoglobin will all give a positive result to occult blood with a dipstick test.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts