Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I finally went and piced up Aolani's comfort trainer from my mom's house and tried it on him last night in the house although he didn't take to it right away (rolled around on the floor trying to take it off and pulling away from me several times) he quickly realized that it's best to just follow me so that he can get a treat. Then I started to make him walk a little longer before he woudl get a treat, but he was pretty good. Can't wait to try it outside later on today - will post a follow up later on.

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
We have Gentle-Leader face, training collar. Hooks under the chin.
They sure walk great with this on. Took several days for them to adjust to this but now they just walk along.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, I was going to try the gentle leader but heard that it tends to ride up on our furbabies face or it will just fall off. So far, the comfort trainer fits him really well. Anyway, I just got back from my walk with Aolano and let me tell you it was one of our better walks. It got to the point that when I would turn I wouldn't have to pull on the leash anymore, just turn and say "this way" and he woudl turn too. Great! it even helped me when he tries to lunge at passing cars (usually the size of a jeep or bigger). I have to carry more treats as I seem to get through them really quickly, esp with the passing cars, but I can already see the difference this will make and how much it will help with training. Thank you Jackie and Mandy :)

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I'm glad you like the Comfort Trainer!

I have been debating whether or not to get something like that or an easy-walk harness to help train my two not to pull...

but my question is this: After using one of these, if I put a different type of harness on them will they start pulling again, or does this actually help TRAIN them?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
It is a training aid. You still have to teach a cue for loose leash walking and reinforce your dog for that behavior. It prevents pulling while you teach. For some dogs who get really excited in certain situations, it is great to use when you need it (ie walking at an agility trial is too much excitement for Roo to handle vs. walking outside our house).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts