Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I'm going to print this and take it to the vet with me next time I go. My vet prefers Frontline, he said nothing beats it as far as effectiveness and price goes. But you are right, had not thought of copmparing them to how the Dr./Drug thing works.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Thanks for the link, Luvmypupster. I have Pico on monthly Heartgard (the little white pill kind) for 3 years and he's never had a problem so I'm sticking with it. It seems to be one of the best on the chart considering how long it has been on the market.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Thanks, that is very informative. Tiki gets the monthly Heart Guard and I still have a 5 month supply but I think I will ask about Sentinel next time I go in.

Judi

·
Registered
346 Posts
I use the Heartguard and get it from my vet. I totally respect what he thinks and will stick with it. He has always been great when it came to my babies and never steered me in the wrong direction. No adverse reactions for any of my babies, so quite happy with the product. It was rated quiet good and my babies are happy & healthy so will be sticking with his recommendations.

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
Wow, thanks for posting the chart. My vet just said Friday he thought we should give Frosty the injection. I'm going to print this and take it to him.

Frosty has been off heartworm med. since last November because he almost died after taking his routine (had it since puppyhood) Heartquard Plus. He's now 12 yrs. old and has always had Heartguard, but when I gave it to him in Nov. about 4 hrs. later he became very ill. He was going into shock at about 4 AM I had to take him to the doggie ER. He was there on intravinous fluids and drugs for 36 hours. I can't prove it was the Heartguard, but it was the only thing he had contact with that could make him so ill. So we haven't given him any heartworm meds since, but are thinking that in the summer we should give him something. For some reason my vet doesn't like Interceptor, he said something about too many combination drugs. Here in my county in Western Oregon we don't have a heartworm problem, but we do go camping other places in the summer.
Dee

·
Registered
939 Posts
Boy Dee that is scary! I am glad Frosty pulled through ok.

Let us know what your vet recommends and how it goes.

Here in Texas they recommend the heartguard year round. I give it only every 40 days as my vet said every 30 is not necessary but I can't remember why; something to do with the medication actually kills the heart worm, and doesn't actually prevent infection therefore the meds can be spread out rather than over lapped.

Judi

1 - 10 of 10 Posts