Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day the lap top worked just fine, then later that evening I got back on it and it wouldnt do anything. It would start up and then when I clicked on something to open it, it would take about 10 minutes at least before it would open. I ran Norton virus scan and another virus scan that FannyMay me the link for. It was able to get online, slowly but surely, and download the link she sent me. Neither scans found anything. It is like the harddrive is constantly running, hubby was trying to figure out what is causing it to slow down so bad, but couldnt figure it out as of last night. He also tried to restore it to the old settings, but it did not help, it was still messed up.
There is 70% free space left on the hard drive. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
You hear the hard drive spinning?? Ummm.... maybe the hard drive is breaking. How much memory do you have? (not that that matters)

Setting it to old setting usually doesnt work...
Try reformatting your hard drive!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Kodie@Jan 10 2005, 08:07 AM
You hear the hard drive spinning??  Ummm.... maybe the hard drive is breaking.  How much memory do you have? (not that that matters)

Setting it to old setting usually doesnt work...
Try reformatting your hard drive!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=28697
[/QUOTE]
I dont know on the memory, hubby is the computer guy here, I don't know much about them. The puter is only 1 yr old, and i know there is 70% free space still on the hard drive. If it is already breaking...NEVER BUY A GATEWAY.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
hmm, sometimes my computer acts wonky too. I would suggest a restore(under system tools)..and then if that doesnt happen..get Gateway's arse on the phone again and give them a piece of your mind!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
OK before you do ANYTHING ELSE save everything you want off your computer. Get all your pictures and documents and emails and whatever else you want to save onto a CD or DVD (if you have a CD or DVD burner). You will kick yourself if you lose everything.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I emailed your post to my husband at work and this is his reply. Keep in mind my husband works with computers on a daily basis. It's his job and his passion.

If you want to send us a report: download "HiJackThis" and follow the
steps here to send a report to us:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...showtutorial=42

It could be some type of spyware program, you will want to follow the
steps here:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/s.../default.mspx?G
T1=6065
You can also try "Spybot Search and Destroy" and "Lavasoft Adaware."

If you want to find out what is hogging up all the resources in windows
2000 or windows xp systems do a ctrl+alt+delete and pick the "Processes"
tab. In this tab look for items under the cpu column that are
significantly higher then 3 not including "System Idle Process" Also
look for any program that is using "Mem Usage" above 8,000k.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
There is a really good Ani-virus software on the internet, it is free. We use the corporate version at work. It is a lot better then Norton. It is called AVG.

You can also try doing a Scan disk. What version of Windows do you have?

I agree with FannyMay. Try to save what you can. If you have a CD burner burn all of the documents and pictures to it. To help save room you can zip the files. You can download Winzip for free.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Awww, it's still not fixed! Maybe you can also reinstall windows but save what you dont want to be erased. :/

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Good luck girl!!!!!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay thanks, we have some kind of spy ware, I think it is Adaware, but I don't know if that is the one for sure and when we ran it last. I will try that. We defragged it tonight, didn't help. I will try to do the adaware thing later, I have to wait, don't wanna tie up the line for 3 hours(I swear if it went any slower it just wouldn't do anything) because schools are getting cancelled locally again due to more freezing rain/drizzle and hubby's hasnt been called off yet. I don't want to disrupt the school calling tree with the s...l...o....w computer being on line! haha.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Originally posted by Caesar's Mommie@Jan 10 2005, 08:54 PM
I will try to do the adaware thing later, I have to wait, don't wanna tie up the line for 3 hours(.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=28888
[/QUOTE]

you dont have to be online to run ad-aware

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Try to see is you have spyware. It is so annoying. Even at work with all the stuff we have we get it. Our computers and network at work have to run good and be at a certain standard because of all the government work we do.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by MalteseJane@Jan 10 2005, 07:38 PM
Sounds like spyware to me too. I am using Spy Sweeper.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=28882
[/QUOTE]
Thank you for this post. When my hubby saw Spy Sweeper he remembered that his mom had downloaded that and used it to get rid of a trojan or something. He said it detects stuff adaware may miss. We are going to download that today since they don't have school again due to ice. I think the puter will need all day to down load it! haha.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well the Spy Sweeper found 80 items, but the lap top is still acting the same. Fanny May we are now going to try the things you and your husband suggested. I just wrote them all down so we can go back downstairs and try to figure this baby out. Thanks again for all the posts everyone , we really appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts