Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Her vet diagnosed her with a UTI when he saw her Tuesday and she has been peeing in the house which has not happened in the whole 6 years that I have had her. He put her on Amoxicillin for it. Today I noticed that she is pooping on the back porch. I am really concerned. Could this be from the UTI? She is eating and drinking normally and she played with Sophie for a little while today but something just seems to be wrong. Is it possible that the allergies and the UTI have really made her sick to the point where she can't control her bladder? Could it be something else that I should have the vet look into? She's only 7 years old and I wouldn't think that she is old enough to have bladder issues yet.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I've had my fair share of UTI's with diabetic Lady, so my guess is that amoxicillin isn't working. Vets usually prescribe Clavamox or Baytril initially, but not all bacteria is sensitive to those antibiotics. Most UTI's are caused by E-Coli which can be very resistant to antibiotics.

The next step would be to do a sterile culture. That will tell your vet what bacteria is causing the infection and what antibiotics will clear it up. Your vet may also want to do xrays to rule out stones.

Lady had a uti a few years ago that we couldn't get rid of. It turned out to be caused by two different strains of E-coli so she needed two different antibiotics to clear it up.

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
I'm so sorry about Bailey. The Maltese is a sensitive breed. My girls are both house trained but if there is a change in their routine, (eg, a trip) sometimes there will be an accident. Also, a Maltese that is not feeling well will have accidents or go potty in unusual places especially if there is a bladder infection. You didn't say how long she has been on the amoxicillan, but after 2-3 days, if there is not an improvement in her symptoms, I would call your vet. I agree with Lady's Mom. Sometimes, the infection can be hard to get rid of.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I'm sorry to hear your Bailey is not feeling well :( I don't have advice on the meds but I do hope she gets all better soon!

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
I don't have any advice but just wanted to say that I hope you get Bailey is feeling much better soon.

·
Premium Member
24,171 Posts
I've had my fair share of UTI's with diabetic Lady, so my guess is that amoxicillin isn't working. Vets usually prescribe Clavamox or Baytril initially, but not all bacteria is sensitive to those antibiotics. Most UTI's are caused by E-Coli which can be very resistant to antibiotics.

The next step would be to do a sterile culture. That will tell your vet what bacteria is causing the infection and what antibiotics will clear it up. Your vet may also want to do xrays to rule out stones.

Lady had a uti a few years ago that we couldn't get rid of. It turned out to be caused by two different strains of E-coli so she needed two different antibiotics to clear it up.

:goodpost:

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
As always, Marj is a fountain of good info.

Just wanted to say, go with your instincts. Mom always know when something isn't right with their fluffs.

Sending lots of prayers for Bailey Grace. I hope that she's feeling better very soon.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Poor Bailey girl. I'm so sorry she is not feeling well. I haven't experienced anything like this but I would just on top of keeping in contact with your vet. Praying that Bailey gets relief soon. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you Marj! I think that I am going to bring her back to the vet tomorrow if she has another accident in the house today. This morning she seems to be feeling better. She took her meds and ate all of her breakfast. Now she is chewing on a bully stick. This is the first time that she has had a UTI and having her have accidents in the house is so unlike her it really worried me. She went outside to potty as usual this morning so hopefully the meds are working. She also has a nasty bruise on her chest where they drew blood for the thyroid and allergy tests. Is this normal?

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Oh Jen - I'm so sorry that you and Bailey are going through this. Being a mom is the hardest job in the world. I have no medical help to give but hoping she is turning the corner on this and that she'll be herself again really soon.:grouphug:

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
It's possible that the antibiotic is messing with her GI tract a bit, so I don't think that there is much to worry about there regarding the pooping.

Have you tried a teaspoon of cranberry juice in the water? It helps with UTI's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts