Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. It's been about a year since I've posted on SM due to everything going on. New house, renovations, getting married and a new baby. I'm posting now because I'm very concerned with Tobi my 3 year old Maltese and his behavior lately. Tobi has always been very attached to me and before the baby HE was the baby. A few weeks before I delivered he started acting very clingy with me. If he didn't have me in sight he would whine. Everyone said he could sense the baby was coming and not to worry about it. Well, after her arrival things have gotten progressively worse. He is acting very depressed. He is lethargic, sometimes shakey and unsteady on his feet. He walks around with his head down and bumps into things. Also, his tail which has always been up is now down. He's like a zombie dog! I was going to take him to the vet a few weeks ago but he seemed to snap out of it for a few days. I thought he was coming around but now he's back to the same behavior. We have an appointment tomorrow but I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what the problem may be. I'm starting to wonder if this could be something physical that we have just associated to the changes in our household. Thank you...I'm just so worried!

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
I would get him to the vet. I'm wondering if there are some eye issues or something else with bumping into things, shakiness and instability. I don't think it's attributed to the change but I can see how you would. Tail down there's usually something down or fear from my experience. Hoping it's nothing major but you need to see a professional. Congrats on marriage and the baby.:wub:Hoping someone else here chimes in. Good luck and I'm sending prayers.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
If your vet doesn't know what's wrong, I would try another vet.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Sounds like something physical to me as well. I hope the little guy feels better soon. Congratulations on all the new changes in your life. They all sound like good ones! Please let us know how Tobi is.

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
Congrats on your marriage and new baby and new house. Wow, you have had some changes in the last year!

Yes, get Tobi to the vet, I hope everything will be alright. He is such a love and please keep us informed~~~

·
Registered
995 Posts
Please let us know what the vet says! I'm keeping Tobi in my thoughts and prayers.
Congrats on your baby and marriage!

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
congrats on the marriage and baby :) about tobi , it does sound like something is not right ,pls take him to the vet and let us know . praying that its nothing serious .

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Add me to the something sounds physically wrong group... the physical signs he is showing sound more than emotional... I will say lots of prayers that the vet figures it out/treats him/he is one the mend and back to better soon.

Welcome back too!!! You've been missed...but holy wow you've had a full plate!!! Congrats on your marriage and new baby!!! Now let's get your first baby back to good health/spirits!!! Please keep us posted as to what the vet thinks... :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for your well wishes and prayers! I hope it's nothing serious. Today when the UPS man came Tobi had absolutely no reaction which so unlike him. Who would have thought I would miss the days he barked and acted like a nut???

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Please rule out physical causes ASAP. These symptoms sound very suspicious to me. Not to scare you, but I have a dog with GME and sounds all to familiar to me. Please make sure they check his vision. And shaking can be a sign of pain. Please check back after your Vet appointment. Hoping for the best.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Oh my.... is there a 24 hour emergency vet clinic in your area? I've never seen or heard of a dog that has no reaction to a visitor (the doorbell or a knock on the door) - something has to be going on if there is absolutely no reaction; not to mentioned the other symptoms you've listed... I agree with Brit - if your vet doesnt know, rush poor Tobi to another vet...

Good luck! I really hope its something very minor if anything at all!

·
Premium Member
10,186 Posts
Congratulations on your marriage and new baby.

I agree with the responses you have already received ... it sounds like it is physical. And, if it were me, I would take him to the ER, if possible. I'm wondering how long you have to wait in order for him to see your regular vet. By your description of Tobi ... I would think a vet would want to see him right away ... as an emergency case.

I will keep Tobi in my thoughts and prayers that he will be okay. Bless his precious heart.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
His appointment is tomorrow. I have always trusted our vet and they didn't seem to feel it was an emergency. Prior to bringing home the baby I talked to them and they said to expect some adjustment period. I thought that this was what the strange behavior was about but not anymore. My instinct says this is not normal! I will be sure to update you all.

·
Premium Member
10,186 Posts
His appointment is tomorrow. I have always trusted our vet and they didn't seem to feel it was an emergency. Prior to bringing home the baby I talked to them and they said to expect some adjustment period. I thought that this was what the strange behavior was about but not anymore. My instinct says this is not normal! I will be sure to update you all.
Oh, that's good news that you have an appointment for Tobi tomorrow. I'll check in tomorrow to see what your vet thinks. Saying prayers for you and Tobi that it's nothing serious. :tender:

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
AMANDA!!!!! Big hugs and congratulations!!!!!!!

I've been thinking about you and wondering how Tobi was adjusting to your new lil angel. It does sound like something is physically wrong. I'm sure he's also having a hard time adjusting to the changes which will subside so long as he still gets special time w/you, but it also sounds like something else is going on with him. How is his appetite? Please keep us updated and let us know what the vet says. I"ll be praying that it's nothing serious and Tobi feels better soon. Don't forget about us....we will all be anxious to hear an update! xo

1 - 20 of 92 Posts