Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone

Today Codi and I were running at the park and I guess he just wasn't looking and ran straight into a light pole. It made this loud CLUNK! sound, and he kind of backed off and seemed to "shake it off" and then tried to act as if nothing embarassing happened. :new_Eyecrazy: This happened around 8:00 this evening.

So far he has acted normal. He didn't want to leave the park, barked at all the dogs and ran around some more. We came home and he ate fine. Like I said, he's been acting normal.

I guess I was just wondering what I should look out for if something is wrong. I'm keeping a close eye on him, I just want to know if there is anything in particular I should pay attention to or do.

Thanks for all your help with everything!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, I ordered a book on First Aid for dogs(hasn't come yet), and have some PediaLyte if needed. But what else would be a good thing to have around the house in case something goes wrong?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks!!! :D

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
I don't know if this applies to dogs, but I know if a child hits their head (not too seriously) you aren't supposed to let them sleep for an hour or two. Hmmm...maybe that is an old wives tale.
Toby has hit his head before and I don't let him sleep for an hour and then when he does, I wake him every few minutes to make sure he is okay.

I would just keep a close eye on Codi and make sure he is acting okay. If he starts vomiting or acting odd, take him to the vet ASAP.

Hopefully others on here can offer more suggestions.

Give Codi a big hug from Toby and myself!
OUCH! That must have hurt.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I am a fanatic about having a basic pet first aid kit in the house.

Triple antibiotic ointment
Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrocortisone cream
Alcohol swabs
Benadryl
Pepto Bismal
Kaopectate
Baby Aspirin
Self-adhering bandages
Gauze pads
Eye wash
Small syringe (no needle) marked w/m’s or cc’s for medication administration
Cold Pack
Styptic powder to stop bleeding
Cotton swabs/cotton balls
Thermometer (normal rectal temperature is between 101.0 to 102.5 degrees)
Copy of shot record (in plastic sheet)
Pedialite to replace fluids

You can get one of those plastic storage conatiners with a lid at Walmart or the dollar store to keep everything in. Also, download a copy of of this emergency first aid for pets from the Red Cross, put it in a plastic sleeve, and tuck it in there, too.

http://www.redcross.org/services/disaster/...d/firstaid.html

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Sep 2 2005, 07:49 AM
I am a fanatic about having a basic pet first aid kit in the house.

Triple antibiotic ointment
Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrocortisone cream
Alcohol swabs
Benadryl
Pepto Bismal
Kaopectate
Baby Aspirin
Self-adhering bandages
Gauze pads
Eye wash
Small syringe (no needle) marked w/m’s or cc’s for medication administration
Cold Pack
Styptic powder to stop bleeding
Cotton swabs/cotton balls
Thermometer (normal rectal temperature is between 101.0 to 102.5 degrees)
Copy of shot record (in plastic sheet)
Pedialite to replace fluids

You can get one of those plastic storage conatiners with a lid at Walmart or the dollar store to keep everything in. Also, download a copy of of this emergency first aid for pets from the Red Cross, put it in a plastic sleeve, and tuck it in there, too.

http://www.redcross.org/services/disaster/...d/firstaid.html
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96385
[/QUOTE]
When I went to the Red Cross link it said Page Can't Be Found

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I have seen basic first aid kits for dogs advertised in catalogues, but I prefer to put one together from the list I posted becasue it's more complete.

Most of the stuff on the list you can get in any drug store or even Walmart. You can pick up a small plastic storage container to hold everything.

You have no idea how much they come in handy!

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Sep 2 2005, 11:19 AM
I have seen basic first aid kits for dogs advertised in catalogues, but I prefer to put one together from the list I posted becasue it's more complete.

Most of the stuff on the list you can get in any drug store or even Walmart. You can pick up a small plastic storage container to hold everything.

You have no idea how much they come in handy!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96434
[/QUOTE]
Alright thanks, I'll go look for everything I need in the first aid kit.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I can get a 4 pack of the small unflavored bottles in my grocery store for under $5. They are less wasteful, but you could always buy a quart bottle just to have around.

You could also check the baby sections of stores like Target, Walmart, etc., or your drug stores.

I did a search and CVS carries the little 4-pack in flavors. They would probably work, too. Lady loves fruit.

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/cvs/gateway/sear...ch+results..y=7

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey ...

Just wanted to say thanks for the superb list... I'm working on getting that kit together!

Also, Codi is just fine. Doesn't even shy away from the light post... guess he's got a thicker skull than I thought!

Thanks again!!! :D

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Sep 2 2005, 10:37 AM
I just did a search and noticed Pedialyte does come in a 4oz. bottle.  Problem is I've only noticed it in large quantity orders.  One site has them 48 4oz. unflavored bottles for $178!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96441
[/QUOTE]

You can buy a package of the Pedialyte popcicles in the baby section. They are flovored, but the pups don't mind. This way, you can have small amounts at a time. You might want to write down in your kit that the amount of fluid needed is 30cc per pound of body weight. I keep fluids here that I give under the skin, along with the Pedialyte, but I don't know if any of you are interested in doing that. It took me a bit to get accoustomed to doing it, but I also give my own shots because I don't want to take healthy pups into a vet's office for shots, as I prefer to keep mine in isolation until after they have had a couple of theirs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts