Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The hair on Zoe's face seems really dry to me. I want to put some conditioner on the hair around her nose and a little below her eye area but I am too scared that she will either lick it off or get it in her eyes.
How do you do this??

I'm so confused!
Also, how often do you condition the face?
Thanks all.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I use Lexi's PetSilk Moisturizing Rinse on her face eat bath (every 1-2 weeks). I don't put it right next to the eye but I put it on the face. She doesn't really lick it. She will lick the water drops around her mouth though. I don't think you would be using enough to harm her at all.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I thought the same thing about Brinkley's face b/c of the tear stain treatments.
I have been spraying some leave in conditioner on his face(cheeks) and beard-it says it is tear-free...but I still try to be careful. He does lick the drops, but it obviously is not enough to harm him.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I sprayed a little Back to Basics Sunflower leave-in conditioner/detangler onto Zoe's face today....She pretty much loves to lick/chew/eat anything so she was going a little nuts trying to get her tongue around to her cheeks to lick the stuff.

I also trimmed up her face as her beard was getting long. This is the first time I've ever tried to do this (she's never been to a groomer or gotten her hair cut since she's been home :wacko: ). I know I need to take her to a groomer but I get so scared that she won't look the way I want her to. I feel like if I can maintain the hair on her face myself and control that aspect, then I can let the groomer trim her hair (no shorter than like 1.5 inches) and I think that'll be okay with me....
I guess I'm kind of just rambling now :lol:

·
Registered
939 Posts
Well, Brittany Lot ....... she is so adorable! When I look at he pictue I just melt
:excl:

If you are conmfortable trimming her face, you can probably trim her body also. I did the groomer think with Tiki once, and I won't do it again.... He wasn't very happy and neither was I. No I give him a puppy cut when ever I think he needs it, more often in the summer. The first couple times it looked a little choppy, but now I have it down pretty well and he looks good.

I don't realy treat for tear stain, Tiki has ver little and I don't bother with it ... it looks like blush

Best of luck on the grooming adventures!

Judi

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am so nervous about taking her to a groomer...I'm just not so confident in my abilities to trim her whole body
How do you trim her body and make everything the same length? I would be scared that she would have hair that ranged from one inch to four :wacko: !

J

·
0 Posts
I have taken Lacey to the groomers and trimmed her myself in between her visits. Right now Lacey has a very short haircut. I had the groomer trim her very short due to her being spayed. I don't like the haircut, to short, but for Lacey it is great. I don't have to worry about brushing and combing her while she is recovering from her surgery. Her hair is about a half of an inch long...way to short for my liking, but that is what I told the groomer to do. The first couple of times I trimmed Lacey myself you could tell it wasn't done by a professional. The last time I trimmed her little face she looked great. My husband told me I should trim her myself everytime, but Lacey does great at the groomers and I figure she gets out in the world without me and is doing great.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much! Zoe is almost 20 weeks old....I got her from a breeder in Phelan, CA. (a teeny tiny town) on July 20.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts