Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!?

I am told time and time again, that I am giving Max too much freedom. He hates his crate and trys to get his head through the openings while digging like crazy. The kitchen is small, so when I seclude him in there, he crys and shreaks the whole time.

How did you guys successfully potty train, confine them AND keep your sanity with the whining and crying???? AND the GUILT??

My guy is 11 weeks, now.

What to do about the constant crying???

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I find 11 weeks old to be awfully young for the babies to be confined by themselves. Can you keep him close to you? If you use a crate, how about having his crate near you so you can reach out to touch him when he needs comforting? Maltese are lap babies by breeding, and they have a real need to be held as much as possible. They love to be near their people.

PS. I successfully potty train all of my dogs without using the crate training method. Our babies have always slept with or near us, so I haven't ever had them cry or whine for lonliness or frustration.

Many folks here do use the crate training method, and some keep their babies in crates to sleep, others let them sleep with them. It depends on what method works best for you and your family.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
We didn't crate train either. Brink was in the gated kitchen when we could not supervise. When we could supervise, he was still only allowed in the living room/kitchen/den. The rest was gated off. We had wee pads in every room, some rooms had two until he got the hang of it. I have several pictures of him with his nose poked through the gate pouting while he was in the kitchen....but I don't remember him doing much crying and whining. He was older though. He was four months when we got him home. Yours is still really young.
Maybe you can try the leash him to you method.

Re-reading this, I don't guess I was much help. Sorry.

Good luck though!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I crate trained my girls but they both love their crate so I never had any problem with them in their crates unless I tried crating while I was home with them.

So my question is are you home while you are confining him or is this when you are gone? If its when you are gone try turning on a radio or TV. Maybe the noise will help. You could also try putting something with your scent on it in with him.

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
We never crate trained Sassy either. I kept her in the kitchen area with a baby gate. I did however sit at the island a lot writing cards, and busy work. What about a baby pen with peepee pads. I know how guilty I used to feel when I had to leave her in the kitchen and I wanted to be elsewhere. But just remember............this too will pass. He will not be a puppy forever.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I understand completely what you are going through!
Abbey did the same thing! And it didn't matter if you were in the same room or not - she did not want to sleep in that crate. I tried everything from radio, clock ticking, scented clothing, treats waiting for her in her crate, etc. :new_Eyecrazy: Finally after 3 weeks she stopped crying. But it was really hard!! I never was a mother that could just let my babies cry. Everyone thinks I'm too much of a softie - but you have to do what's right for you.

Abbey now knows "Night Night" and she goes to her crate on her own (with treats waiting on her of course
) But if i have to leave her during the day like when my kids have a school function - I gate her off to 1 room and she whines and cries! I'm sure she stops when we're long gone but I do worry about her and that's why I'm considering a playmate for her!

Good Luck!!! This too shall pass!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
You have to make him love his crate...
What you do is set it up in the day time with all his cool toys or a few snacks.. and leave the crate open... let him go in there by himself.. and come back out...
if you can't do this in the day then do it when you come home from work.
then slowly put him in the crate for ten min at a time. When ever you let him out of the crate take him to his place to potty...and give the command for pottying... weather it be on the wee wee pad or outside. If you don't want him in the crate for any reason then leash the puppy to your blet while you walk around. So you can catch him in action if he makes a mess. Keep in mind you got your puppy early so he will cry for a few more weeks maybe... Normally they would still be with there sister or bothers.
When ever chelsey whined I said no wining to her. Now when every she whines I just say that " no winning and she stops" With chester that did not happen... in night we would put him in his crate with a t- shirt that had our scent on it and brin the crate in our bed room. When he wined then we would tap the top of it...and tell him quiet... we did have lot of sleepless nights , but after a few weeks he slept through the night.. and then se slowly moved his crate down to the kitchen... we now put a blanket over the crate...because ones the light comes in the kitchen... chester wakes us up.. he is like a roster.. We work late so we don't need to wake up at 6;00 am
When we turn off the lights for bed time now... we say bed time... that means no more play or wining... they understand that command very well now... chelsey sleeps until we wake her up...

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input. I see each pup takes to things differently.

I do leave the crate door open for him to go in and out as he pleases, he does jump in an out of there momentarily. I have not closed him in there since day 1, though.

I feel better about putting him in the kitchen, but he does cry...

I guess 11 weeks is kinda of young, and I know many experts say you should not let them cry too much at 11 weeks, because we are their new mommy at that age and supposed to provide the nurturing.

I guess I will be a bit more patient with him till he is less of a baby.

He does go on command in the morning, though. Although now he is starting to want to shake his wee wee pad in his mouth. Trying to stop that before it completely starts.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
There is an alternate method of training, if you have the time and patience. You can put a belly band on him some to allow him to be with you in your area. You just have to be willing to take him outside often until he gets the hang of it. When he goes out and does what he is outside there for, give him a treat. I use yogurt drops. I'm still a big advocate of the x-pen and pad training for mine, as most of mine never go outside. I put a pad in one end of the pen, then a basket and bedding at the other end, with the food and water. I use a plastic basket during this time because I don't want them to confuse the bedding with the pad for doing their business.

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
I guess I should have mentioned that in the gated area of the kitchen I would place Sassy's crate with the door open. She had her bed but she would actually sleep inside the crate but could come out at will. She also had her porry box, food, water and plenty of toys in the gated area with her.

Sassy will be 3 in Dec. and she still likes to sleep in her crate when she is home alone. I have taken the door off but she uses it as her little den.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the additional tips. Today, while I was in the shower....ofcourse, I let him hang out in the bathroom with me....he was trying to reach up to the tub while wimpering.

Is he becoming too dependant? He wasn't that way last week. I know he is still adjusting.

What is a belly band?? and how is it used?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
No, Max is not becoming "too dependent". He is still a baby. Pico used to do the same thing to me when I took a bath. He'd peek his little face over the edge of the tub and whine. When he got a little bigger he would take a running jump and land on the built-in seating area on our tub. Once, he missed his mark and landed in the water and you would have thought it was boiling oil!
He stopped jumping up after that.

These dogs are called companion dogs for a reason. They want to be near their humans. Fortunately for me when I got Pico I was working from home and he spent all day in my lap. Then I could get up every 20 minutes to take him outside to potty and he is sooo good about it now. We have not had him do potty in the house ever since. Of course, not being pad trained that means taking him out with an umbrella from time to time and "quickie" trips when it's really cold but it's a blessing to have a house-trained dog.

Don't worry about "spoiling" Max with too much attention. He's your baby and needs to be babied and held. Believe me, he is going to repay your love and attention many, many times over in the years to come. I'm looking down at my little white, silky sweetie draped over my lap like a fur bag of lazy bones that he is! Keeping my lap warm on this cool day the same way he warms my and my husband's hearts with his personality.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by Pico's Parent@Nov 10 2005, 10:42 AM
No, Max is not becoming "too dependent".  He is still a baby.  Pico used to do the same thing to me when I took a bath.  He'd peek his little face over the edge of the tub and whine.  When he got a little bigger he would take a running jump and land on the built-in seating area on our tub.  Once, he missed his mark and landed in the water and you would have thought it was boiling oil!
  He stopped jumping up after that.

These dogs are called companion dogs for a reason.  They want to be near their humans.  Fortunately for me when I got Pico I was working from home and he spent all day in my lap.  Then I could get up every 20 minutes to take him outside to potty and he is sooo good about it now.  We have not had him do potty in the house ever since.  Of course, not being pad trained that means taking him out with an umbrella from time to time and "quickie" trips when it's really cold but it's a blessing to have a house-trained dog.

Don't worry about "spoiling" Max with too much attention.  He's your baby and needs to be babied and held.  Believe me, he is going to repay your love and attention many, many times over in the years to come.  I'm looking down at my little white, silky sweetie draped over my lap like a fur bag of lazy bones that he is!  Keeping my lap warm on this cool day the same way he warms my and my husband's hearts with his personality.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=118637
[/QUOTE]

Pico sound like a cute little doll. Love those lil malti stories. Tub one is funny. :lol:

·
Registered
568 Posts
11 weeks is very young.Most breeders will not send a puppy home until at least 13 weeks.Rudy never cried in his crate.He seemed to like it but I wanted him with me and after the first week or so I started putting him in my bed.Thats where he's been ever since.I potty trained him using wee-wee pads,which he still uses.I think your little baby is way to young to be left alone.Perhaps you can move him to the room you are in and put a pad down for him if you confine him to a small area.I heard that they like a heating pad under their bedding on low.That may help.Good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts