Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,492 Posts
Bella is so lucky to have such a loving mom like you. Sounds to me like your doing everything possible to get her feeling good. I hope the supplements and raw diet help her itching.
I didn’t read back from the beginning but did your vet do a deep skin scraping to determine whether or not Bella has demodex mites. They itch like crazy and often missed unless the scraping done is deep. As for the supplements, all are very good., especially for building a strong immunity.
l have never heard of Proanthazone Derm, so can’t help you there.
Hopefully, Maggie will know more if she sees this thread again. She’s definitely my go-too if you want to know about supplementing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Bella is so lucky to have such a loving mom like you. Sounds to me like your doing everything possible to get her feeling good. I hope the supplements and raw diet help her itching.
I didn’t read back from the beginning but did your vet do a deep skin scraping to determine whether or not Bella has demodex mites. They itch like crazy and often missed unless the scraping done is deep. As for the supplements, all are very good., especially for building a strong immunity.
l have never heard of Proanthazone Derm, so can’t help you there.
Hopefully, Maggie will know more if she sees this thread again. She’s definitely my go-too if you want to know about supplementing.
Thank u so much. Nobody has done a deep scrape for demodex mites although I have heard about how those can be thrown out of balance in the natural flora ... hmmmm ... I will most certainly inquire. The other thing our vet is suggesting we consider is a 3day goats milk diet. Nothing but goats milk given in small doses throughout the day for 3 to 4 days ... she swears it really resets the GI. Anyone heard of that or tried it? I’m feeling overwhelmed and not sure what to do.

·
Premium Member
5,492 Posts
Thank u so much. Nobody has done a deep scrape for demodex mites although I have heard about how those can be thrown out of balance in the natural flora ... hmmmm ... I will most certainly inquire. The other thing our vet is suggesting we consider is a 3day goats milk diet. Nothing but goats milk given in small doses throughout the day for 3 to 4 days ... she swears it really resets the GI. Anyone heard of that or tried it? I’m feeling overwhelmed and not sure what to do.
Having 2 dogs with IBD, nothing has reset the flora/rebalanced the gut in my dogs GI tract like a fecal transplant did. Everything else was a waste of time and money for me. If You want to balance the gut, put your dog on a good probiotic, feed good food. Everything else is like the topping on the cake and not the main course. Unless you figure out exactly what’s going on, I don’t believe trying all these different types of supplements will help all that much, especially when you don’t even know what your addressing, if that makes any sense at all. And from my own experience, it took months before I noticed any benefits, definitely not in a matter of weeks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Having 2 dogs with IBD, nothing has reset the flora/rebalanced the gut in my dogs GI tract like a fecal transplant did. Everything else was a waste of time and money for me. If You want to balance the gut, put your dog on a good probiotic, feed good food. Everything else is like the topping on the cake and not the main course. Unless you figure out exactly what’s going on, I don’t believe trying all these different types of supplements will help all that much, especially when you don’t even know what your addressing, if that makes any sense at all. And from my own experience, it took months before I noticed any benefits, definitely not in a matter of weeks.
Logically it makes sense. I wish they could just talk to us .... well, I guess we’ll just keep loving on her and trying our best to figure out one thing at a time. Thank you for all your input. I really appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
5,492 Posts
Logically it makes sense. I wish they could just talk to us .... well, I guess we’ll just keep loving on her and trying our best to figure out one thing at a time. Thank you for all your input. I really appreciate it!
Sounds like you give Bella more love than most get in a lifetime. I wanted to mention that coming from having a dog with demodex mites, neither my vet, nor the holistic vet picked up on them. Both did skin scrapings, both treated my dog for environmental allergies for a year.

Whereas you mention she started soon after heart worm meds with GI upset, I would rule out mites before you spend tons of money unnecessarily. Mites flare when the immune system is compromised. They also cause nonstop itching. Giving the fish oil etc. is great to build an immune compromised puppy, I just worry that your vets keep adding more supplements or worse cytopoint injections on such a young dog when it’s not addressing the real issue. That’s just setting her up to fail. I also wldnt rule out food intolerances just yet , even though your vet thinks otherwise.

If it were me, I would continue with the supplements to strengthen Bellas immunity but it takes months and months to notice any kind of difference and if it doesn’t help, I would take her to an allergist to do a deep scraping. I would not keep adding more supplements, especially where she is prone to gi upset. My girl had a major pancreatitis attack from all the Chinese meds my holistic vet was trying for my girls itching.
And if it were mites, I wouldn’t do the medicine they use. It is really high doses of heart worm medicine , enough to poison a dog fo a very long time. There are holistic baths approaches that can take care of that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Tha
Sounds like you give Bella more love than most get in a lifetime. I wanted to mention that coming from having a dog with demodex mites, neither my vet, nor the holistic vet picked up on them. Both did skin scrapings, both treated my dog for environmental allergies for a year.

Whereas you mention she started soon after heart worm meds with GI upset, I would rule out mites before you spend tons of money unnecessarily. Mites flare when the immune system is compromised. They also cause nonstop itching. Giving the fish oil etc. is great to build an immune compromised puppy, I just worry that your vets keep adding more supplements or worse cytopoint injections on such a young dog when it’s not addressing the real issue. That’s just setting her up to fail. I also wldnt rule out food intolerances just yet , even though your vet thinks otherwise.

If it were me, I would continue with the supplements to strengthen Bellas immunity but it takes months and months to notice any kind of difference and if it doesn’t help, I would take her to an allergist to do a deep scraping. I would not keep adding more supplements, especially where she is prone to gi upset. My girl had a major pancreatitis attack from all the Chinese meds my holistic vet was trying for my girls itching.
And if it were mites, I wouldn’t do the medicine they use. It is really high doses of heart worm medicine , enough to poison a dog fo a very long time. There are holistic baths approaches that can take care of that.
Thank you so much for your time and efforts in passing on all this valuable information and experience. Will keep all this in mind.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts