Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

My 11 year old Maltese, Lollie, was diagnosed with CHF 6 months ago. He is on Lasix, Spirolactone and Enalapril. The vet as adjusted the meds several times over the past 6 months, each adjustment giving my boy some relief for 6 to 8 weeks. After an exam yesterday the Vet feels Lollie is in the advanced stages now, his meds are maxed out and his heart is in pretty bad shape now. Lollie still enjoys life as much as he can, still has an appetite but is definitely declining now. I gather this is the final stretch?

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else out there has dealt with this issue and could tell me what to expect for the later stage of CHF.

Thanks for any info!

Premium Member
I'm so sorry you and Lollie have to go through this. I don't have any experience with CHF. But I wanted to let you know I care and I am praying that Lollie will not be in pain and that you will have wisdom in his care.....and enjoy your time together & make more lasting memories. I hoping others here on SM have knowledge with this diagnosis and will offer help/advise. Many uplifting thoughts & prayers coming your way for dear little Lollie.
馃惗 馃惥馃尰

Reactions: TwoCrows

Premium Member
My Matilda had CHF, we had no idea she had it we took her to the emergency pet hospital and within a hour she was gone we are still just devastated, my Matilda was 11 1/2.
I'm so sorry your going through this.
My advice to you is to cherish each moment take lots of pictures, you will know when its time.
Again my heart breaks for you and little Lollie

Registered
I am so sorry this is happening to your Lollie. I can't give you any advice but will send prayers your way.

Premium Member
Oh, my heart breaks for youl We are w/ you in the journey. God give us courage to face what we don't want to be true.

Premium Member

Premium Member
YES!

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Oh gosh, thank you everyone for the out pouring of love! This has definitely hit home after yesterday's vet visit, the hubby and I are definitely cherishing every moment from here on out with our boy. He is laying next to me on the couch right now chewing on his chew bone. He still has that spark for life but does a lot of coughing, he gets weak and wobbly sometimes, confused and his appetite is starting to wane. This is going to be one tough road to walk. When he loses that spark for life or the quality of his life is gone, we will definitely do the right thing.

Matilda's Mommy, I am so sorry your baby went so quick. Losing our babies is heart shattering stuff.

Thank you all for your support, its comforting to know there are others out there that feel such love for their Malteses.

馃挅馃惗

Registered
Awww, what a darling guy. I'm so sorry you're going through this. My Zooey has CHF, but just the very beginning stage. We also lost a silky terrier to it, but he was very old and lived many years with it before it got to be too much and we put him to sleep. So glad you are here for some extra support. We definitely know what you're going through. ((((Hugs))))

Registered
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Awww, what a darling guy. I'm so sorry you're going through this. My Zooey has CHF, but just the very beginning stage. We also lost a silky terrier to it, but he was very old and lived many years with it before it got to be too much and we put him to sleep. So glad you are here for some extra support. We definitely know what you're going through. ((((Hugs))))
Thanks zooeysmom! So sorry to hear you lost a silky terrier to CHF. hugs Some can go years, others days or months. I wish you all the best with Zooey, it certainly is hard to lose our babies.

Super Moderator
Sorry to hear that about Lollie. Marie's Snowball has congestive heart failure and we nearly lost him a few years ago. But with vigilance, she has kept him going, She has both a cardiologist and an holistic vet that she works with. Lollie actually looks pretty good in that picture. Good luck, we never know what the universe has in store, Lollie may have much more time. Here is hoping that is the case.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Sorry to hear that about Lollie. Marie's Snowball has congestive heart failure and we nearly lost him a few years ago. But with vigilance, she has kept him going, She has both a cardiologist and an holistic vet that she works with. Lollie actually looks pretty good in that picture. Good luck, we never know what the universe has in store, Lollie may have much more time. Here is hoping that is the case.
Thanks so much!! So sorry to hear about Marie's Snowball, wow, a couple years is fabulous that he is still with you! Lollie is doing a lot of coughing and has this entire time since diagnosis. It seems every 4 to 6 weeks he starts to retain so much water around the abdomen and heart area. According to the vet he is maxed out on his meds, and other than one other drug for heart failure, he thinks Lollies heart is in very poor shape with only one side even functioning now. Vet said there is so much fluid the heart is actually being displaced in his body. His heart is beating so hard on the one side, his entire body appears to have tremors. Oddly enough the Vet said the exact thing you said, Lollie still looks really good for the shape he is in. He is starting to get weak and the vet thinks episodes of collapsing is going to happen soon. We live so rural, we don't have multiple vets to choose from. This vet has been fabulous with Lollie over the years with teeth pulling, urinary tract infection and overall care. He also knows birds, which is rare in vets! 馃悢馃悿 We are praying Lollie lives as long as possible meanwhile enjoying every moment now.

Wishing you all the best with Marie's Snowball!

Premium Member
My heart and prayers go out to you and your darling and adorable Lollie. 鉂 I hope sharing my personal experiences, in regard to my precious Snowball鈥檚 heart failure, can help you in some way.

As Walter shared here ... my darling Snowball, who turned 14 years old on February 19th of this year ... had a very serious heart attack (ruptured chordae tendineae ) on March 3, 2016. His prognosis at that time was 12 to 18 months. I feel so blessed, that considering his prognosis at that time ... and, after that, about six months later, he required dental surgery and oxalate stone surgery ... that Snowball has done so well.

Snowball鈥檚 medical team (Team Snowball) think that what has helped Snowball so far ... has been a combination of traditional heart medications (Enalapril, Pimobenden, Lasix) ... AND, Chinese supplements. In addition, his diets consists of low sodium home cooked meals.

I prepare Snowball鈥檚 low sodium home cooked dinners that include either chicken breast or extra鈥攍ean ground beef. I add and rotate a combination of veggies like broccolli, Brussel sprouts, asparagus, peas, red pepper, butternut squash, pumpkin, etc. He can also enjoy many fruits. His breakfast is 1/3 cups of chicken and Cherrios! Yes, Cherrios. 馃檪

Snowball loves to go for walks to his favorite place ... which is a nine minute drive from home! Long story how that happened! LOL However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the extremely hot and humid conditions here in Ashburn, Va ... his walks have been very limited at the moment. It is recommended by his cardiologist that it is not safe or healthy for him to experience real hot and humid conditions.

I feel it鈥檚 important for our precious fluff babies that have been diagnosed with heart failure ... to be under the care of the best cardiologist you can afford ... that is, in addition to their regular vet. Snowball has cardiology appointments every four to five months. During those visits he has a complete cardiac check-up ... including the echocardiogram, the test that is very accurate in determining the heart鈥檚 condition. This all helps in making sure your fluff baby is receiving the correct medications and dosages in order to best help him/her. I have been taught by Snowball鈥檚 cardiologist how to monitor Snowball ... including checking his breathing rate after he initially falls asleep.

I also feel that having a vet who practices both traditional and holistic medicine is a huge plus. The Chinese supplements (I think they are basically the same supplements (consisting of specific mushrooms) that now have also been proven to be so helpful for humans).

In addition, Snowball receives monthly acupuncture/laser treatments for his heart and collapsed trachea from his regular vet, Dr. Krisi Erwin.

I feel blessed that Snowball has had the same vet for all of his 14+ years. She formally worked at Leesburg Veterinary Hospital in Leesburg, Va. And, several years later and after completing her certification to practice holistic medicine ... she started her own private practice ... Wholistic Paws Veterinary Service. She is Snowball鈥檚 and my Earth Angel.

Again, my heart goes out to you and sweet Lollie. I love his picture ... he is so cute and adorable looking. 鉂ゐ煇锯潳馃惥 please feel free to ask me any questions if you think it can help you.

I am trying to post two pictures of Snowball and Dr. Krisi. With the COVID - 19 pandemic ... all vet services in this area are 鈥渃urbside鈥 馃榾

Hugs ..
Marie

PS: Would you feel comfortable sharing your name with us? I noticed the updated forum no longer shows our names in the avatar. I personally feel it鈥檚 a nice gesture when writing or speaking with someone .. to address them by their name. 馃グ.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
My heart and prayers go out to you and your darling and adorable Lollie. 鉂 I hope sharing my personal experiences, in regard to my precious Snowball鈥檚 heart failure, can help you in some way.

As Walter shared here ... my darling Snowball, who turned 14 years old on February 19th of this year ... had a very serious heart attack (ruptured chordae tendineae ) on March 3, 2016. His prognosis at that time was 12 to 18 months. I feel so blessed, that considering his prognosis at that time ... and, after that, about six months later, he required dental surgery and oxalate stone surgery ... that Snowball has done so well.

Snowball鈥檚 medical team (Team Snowball) think that what has helped Snowball so far ... has been a combination of traditional heart medications (Enalapril, Pimobenden, Lasix) ... AND, Chinese supplements. In addition, his diets consists of low sodium home cooked meals.

I prepare Snowball鈥檚 low sodium home cooked dinners that include either chicken breast or extra鈥攍ean ground beef. I add and rotate a combination of veggies like broccolli, Brussel sprouts, asparagus, peas, red pepper, butternut squash, pumpkin, etc. He can also enjoy many fruits. His breakfast is 1/3 cups of chicken and Cherrios! Yes, Cherrios. 馃檪

Snowball loves to go for walks to his favorite place ... which is a nine minute drive from home! Long story how that happened! LOL However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the extremely hot and humid conditions here in Ashburn, Va ... his walks have been very limited at the moment. It is recommended by his cardiologist that it is not safe or healthy for him to experience real hot and humid conditions.

I feel it鈥檚 important for our precious fluff babies that have been diagnosed with heart failure ... to be under the care of the best cardiologist you can afford ... that is, in addition to their regular vet. Snowball has cardiology appointments every four to five months. During those visits he has a complete cardiac check-up ... including the echocardiogram, the test that is very accurate in determining the heart鈥檚 condition. This all helps in making sure your fluff baby is receiving the correct medications and dosages in order to best help him/her. I have been taught by Snowball鈥檚 cardiologist how to monitor Snowball ... including checking his breathing rate after he initially falls asleep.

I also feel that having a vet who practices both traditional and holistic medicine is a huge plus. The Chinese supplements (I think they are basically the same supplements (consisting of specific mushrooms) that now have also been proven to be so helpful for humans).

In addition, Snowball receives monthly acupuncture/laser treatments for his heart and collapsed trachea from his regular vet, Dr. Krisi Erwin.

I feel blessed that Snowball has had the same vet for all of his 14+ years. She formally worked at Leesburg Veterinary Hospital in Leesburg, Va. And, several years later and after completing her certification to practice holistic medicine ... she started her own private practice ... Wholistic Paws Veterinary Service. She is Snowball鈥檚 and my Earth Angel.

Again, my heart goes out to you and sweet Lollie. I love his picture ... he is so cute and adorable looking. 鉂ゐ煇锯潳馃惥 please feel free to ask me any questions if you think it can help you.

I am trying to post two pictures of Snowball and Dr. Krisi. With the COVID - 19 pandemic ... all vet services in this area are 鈥渃urbside鈥 馃榾

Hugs ..
Marie

PS: Would you feel comfortable sharing your name with us? I noticed the updated forum no longer shows our names in the avatar. I personally feel it鈥檚 a nice gesture when writing or speaking with someone .. to address them by their name. 馃グ.
Oh gosh, I should have mentioned my name originally! My name is Leyla, I am 60 馃槺 yrs old. 馃槀 And live in New Mexico.

Marie, thank you for all your valuable information here! I enjoy learning as much as I can about things, especially CHF now that our precious Lollie is dealing with it. I am super glad to hear you have so many practitioners helping you with Snowball. It is definitely making a difference! I wish we had such technicians out here, but we are so remote, we do what we can. I agree with all the techniques you've been using to aid in his health. LOVE your photos! So precious!

Lollie always had a very sensitive stomach and threw up on even the highest quality brands of food, grained and non grained feeds. So I started cooking for him when he was 4 years old...Cooked ground Turkey, cooked veggies, sweet potato and a dash of vitamins. Instantly stopped the vomiting and he gained a ton of energy.

At 7 yrs he started to get a few loose teeth here and there and was put under 3 times since to remove all but 14 teeth. (I had always brushed Lollies teeth every night before bed, so this tooth loss was a surprise) I started a new technique to caring for his teeth after this, I continued to brush his teeth nightly but without paste and I followed up with spraying his mouth with Colloidal Silver. This completely arrested the tooth loss along with removing and keeping up with tartar and no more tear stains!

Lollie seems to be on the same meds as Snowball with the exception of the Pimobenden? The vet has me also watch his breathing at night and when it reaches a level over 35-40 respirations a min, he will have me adjust the meds. He is also on the herb Hawthorn.

Lollie is past the stage for too much exercise, not only does he have crippling arthritis and limps but he becomes so out of breath now and will cough until he collapses. He will bring out a toy once in a while, but it's very short lived and he has to lay down and recover.

I really don't know what to expect day to day and this has me on edge. He is declining much quicker than he was even 4 months ago. He is starting to wheeze now, he also gets confused, has panic attacks and his cataracts are horrible. My poor Lollie. 馃槩

Premium Member
Our Kitzel is 10 yrs. old & he has a grade 3 heart murmur (from 0-3 in 2 months) as one of the chordae tendineae snapped causing regurgitation. He is only on Benazepril --where he gets 1/4 tablet of 5 mgs per day. He is under the care of a very good cardiologist & also his local vet. I first noticed him giving a little grunt when I picked him up. We live in a very hot & humid climate & his cardiologist says that he can set his own pace in exercise---so he walks & then we push him in the stroller w/his sister (she has cancer). He still loves to eat, loves to walk, still plays w/his toys---but he does sleep much more than he ever did. He doesn't cough! I did have a maltese (my first) yrs. ago that lived a long time w/CHF. I wish you all the best!

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Our Kitzel is 10 yrs. old & he has a grade 3 heart murmur (from 0-3 in 2 months) as one of the chordae tendineae snapped causing regurgitation. He is only on Benazepril --where he gets 1/4 tablet of 5 mgs per day. He is under the care of a very good cardiologist & also his local vet. I first noticed him giving a little grunt when I picked him up. We live in a very hot & humid climate & his cardiologist says that he can set his own pace in exercise---so he walks & then we push him in the stroller w/his sister (she has cancer). He still loves to eat, loves to walk, still plays w/his toys---but he does sleep much more than he ever did. He doesn't cough! I did have a maltese (my first) yrs. ago that lived a long time w/CHF. I wish you all the best!
Aww...dear Kitzel, I am so sorry! I hope he continues on for many more years! Our dogs and their hearts.... All we can do is continue the love and appreciate every moment with them. My hubby insists Lollie needs a heart transplant. 馃槅 I agree!

Registered
Hello everyone!

My 11 year old Maltese, Lollie, was diagnosed with CHF 6 months ago. He is on Lasix, Spirolactone and Enalapril. The vet as adjusted the meds several times over the past 6 months, each adjustment giving my boy some relief for 6 to 8 weeks. After an exam yesterday the Vet feels Lollie is in the advanced stages now, his meds are maxed out and his heart is in pretty bad shape now. Lollie still enjoys life as much as he can, still has an appetite but is definitely declining now. I gather this is the final stretch?

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else out there has dealt with this issue and could tell me what to expect for the later stage of CHF.

Thanks for any info!
Now I feel really bad for you. I know how it hurts when you lose someone. All I can do is pray for your Lollie. Most importantly, you have to cherish all the moments you both are sharing. And try to keep him happy. I hope he continues on for many more years. I can't give you any advice regarding this matter. But I hope you both have a wonderful time before anything happens.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you everyone for all your compassion! I will keep you all updated on Lollies progress and let you know how he is doing as time passes. You guys are fabulous! 馃挅馃惗

1 - 20 of 61 Posts