Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

Registered
Oh gosh, thank you everyone for the out pouring of love! This has definitely hit home after yesterday's vet visit, the hubby and I are definitely cherishing every moment from here on out with our boy. He is laying next to me on the couch right now chewing on his chew bone. He still has that spark for life but does a lot of coughing, he gets weak and wobbly sometimes, confused and his appetite is starting to wane. This is going to be one tough road to walk. When he loses that spark for life or the quality of his life is gone, we will definitely do the right thing.

Matilda's Mommy, I am so sorry your baby went so quick. Losing our babies is heart shattering stuff.

Thank you all for your support, its comforting to know there are others out there that feel such love for their Malteses.

馃挅馃惗
So sorry to hear the news. My heart goes out to you too! I will keep you in my prayers.

Premium Member
Thankful for the good news update on Lollie. I too will be praying the medication adjustment lasts a very very long time! Please keep us updated.
馃惗 馃惥馃尰

Reactions: TwoCrows

Registered
Discussion Starter #24
Thankful for the good news update on Lollie. I too will be praying the medication adjustment lasts a very very long time! Please keep us updated.
馃惗 馃惥馃尰
Thank you, I will keep you updated!

That sure is a cutie pie in your signature! 馃挅

Premium Member
Hello everyone!

My 11 year old Maltese, Lollie, was diagnosed with CHF 6 months ago. He is on Lasix, Spirolactone and Enalapril. The vet as adjusted the meds several times over the past 6 months, each adjustment giving my boy some relief for 6 to 8 weeks. After an exam yesterday the Vet feels Lollie is in the advanced stages now, his meds are maxed out and his heart is in pretty bad shape now. Lollie still enjoys life as much as he can, still has an appetite but is definitely declining now. I gather this is the final stretch?

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else out there has dealt with this issue and could tell me what to expect for the later stage of CHF.

Thanks for any info!
I lost a maltese suddenly to CHF. She'd had had her yearly exam two weeks before and she was given a clean bill of health. Even had blood tests done and all was well. She was close to 12 years but supposedly was healthy. Then suddenly she wasn't. Took her to her regular vet and he had her in an oxygen cage. Then called for me to take her to the emergency vet hospital an hour away. She died in my arms on the way there. The vet there said it was probably a cord in the heart that broke. It was all so sudden, I was devastated.

I also had a shih tzu, who had CHF for months before passing. He was 16 1/2 years and had no problems except being diagnosed with the heart problem. Though a famiily dog, my teenage daughter was very attached to him. The vet eventually told my daughter that the medication had given him an extra 6 months of life, but now he was ready to let go. I stayed with him as he was euthanized with an injection. It was horrible for me but a gentle passing for him.

Hope that you will find peace for yourself when Lollie passes on her own or with the help of a vet. It's never easy.

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
I lost a maltese suddenly to CHF. She'd had had her yearly exam two weeks before and she was given a clean bill of health. Even had blood tests done and all was well. She was close to 12 years but supposedly was healthy. Then suddenly she wasn't. Took her to her regular vet and he had her in an oxygen cage. Then called for me to take her to the emergency vet hospital an hour away. She died in my arms on the way there. The vet there said it was probably a cord in the heart that broke. It was all so sudden, I was devastated.

I also had a shih tzu, who had CHF for months before passing. He was 16 1/2 years and had no problems except being diagnosed with the heart problem. Though a famiily dog, my teenage daughter was very attached to him. The vet eventually told my daughter that the medication had given him an extra 6 months of life, but now he was ready to let go. I stayed with him as he was euthanized with an injection. It was horrible for me but a gentle passing for him.

Hope that you will find peace for yourself when Lollie passes on her own or with the help of a vet. It's never easy.
Oh I am so sorry! ((HUGS)) It's never easy to lose them, no matter how they pass or from what. I guess heart disease is quite common. Their short lives are never long enough either. It's easier on them, I think, to be there for the euthanasia. I have had so many animals put down over the years at the Vets office, I am always there holding them in those final moments so they know I am still there, I know it makes for an easier passing. For now I am making sure to make our moments more special then ever knowing his final day could come at anytime.

Premium Member
Hi Leyla. I have been thinking about you and precious Lollie a lot. And, I am happy to hear with the medication adjustment that Lollie is a bit better.

I am wondering if adjustments have been made with Lollie鈥檚 Lasix. Interestingly with Snowball ... he was initially on Lasix twice a day. Then because his heart condition remained stabilized ... his cardiologist instructed me to reduce the Lasix to once a day. So, the only time I have needed to increase the Lasix is if Snowball gets episodes of a higher/abnormal breathing rate that doesn鈥檛 slow down. Snowball is to be given an additional Lasix if that happens. Then if his heart rate and coughing subsides ... we are okay. I have only had to add an additional Lasix twice ... and that was quite a while back.

In addition, I think the reason Snowball鈥檚 heart condition stabilized ... is because scar tissue has closed a large portion of the ruptured valve. However, as you know, things can change without a moments notice.

Another medication Snowball takes twice a day is Hydrocodone. Snowball also has a collapsed trachea ... so, the Hydrocodone and laser/acupuncture treatments have helped tremendously in reducing coughing related to the collapsed trachea.. The only time Snowball coughs is when he becomes too excited ... like when playing chase (running back and forth a lot and then spinning around and lowering himself to the ground like a football player! LOL) ... or if he is upset when he knows he is about to get poked and probed with a vet appointment.

I do think the Chinese supplements have helped Snowball tremendously.

Again, I am just sharing information ... in case you see something that might help Lollie in some way. I do understand that our precious fluff babies circumstances are not quite the same ... but, one never knows if just one bit of information shared might help.

Hugs for you and Lollie ...
Marie

Registered
Discussion Starter #28
Hi Leyla. I have been thinking about you and precious Lollie a lot. And, I am happy to hear with the medication adjustment that Lollie is a bit better.

I am wondering if adjustments have been made with Lollie鈥檚 Lasix. Interestingly with Snowball ... he was initially on Lasix twice a day. Then because his heart condition remained stabilized ... his cardiologist instructed me to reduce the Lasix to once a day. So, the only time I have needed to increase the Lasix is if Snowball gets episodes of a higher/abnormal breathing rate that doesn鈥檛 slow down. Snowball is to be given an additional Lasix if that happens. Then if his heart rate and coughing subsides ... we are okay. I have only had to add an additional Lasix twice ... and that was quite a while back.

In addition, I think the reason Snowball鈥檚 heart condition stabilized ... is because scar tissue has closed a large portion of the ruptured valve. However, as you know, things can change without a moments notice.

Another medication Snowball takes twice a day is Hydrocodone. Snowball also has a collapsed trachea ... so, the Hydrocodone and laser/acupuncture treatments have helped tremendously in reducing coughing related to the collapsed trachea.. The only time Snowball coughs is when he becomes too excited ... like when playing chase (running back and forth a lot and then spinning around and lowering himself to the ground like a football player! LOL) ... or if he is upset when he knows he is about to get poked and probed with a vet appointment.

I do think the Chinese supplements have helped Snowball tremendously.

Again, I am just sharing information ... in case you see something that might help Lollie in some way. I do understand that our precious fluff babies circumstances are not quite the same ... but, one never knows if just one bit of information shared might help.

Hugs for you and Lollie ...
Marie
Hello Marie!

I am so glad Snowball is doing so well these days! It warms the heart knowing we are extending their lives while they still have the chance for great quality too. Gosh, Lollie still acts like a puppy sometimes and when he does I feel so happy for him.

I love hearing how Snowball is doing and what meds are helping! Definitely gives insight to Lollies condition and steps we might be able to take with adjustments.

Lollie has been on Lasix twice a day pretty much these past 6 months. We tried lowering the dosage both in quantity and times daily. Lollie instantly bloats up and coughs constantly unless he is on it twice daily and a lot of it. He gets 50 mg twice daily. The vet increased his Enalapril double, to 5mg twice daily, along with the Spironolactone to 25mg twice daily. I think this last adjustments of these 2 meds have helped him this week. His respirations were up near 40 again, now they are back down to upper 20,s to lower 30s. Vet says we are maxed out on his meds and I can only pray he goes as long as possible. He has so much water around his heart only half of it is working, heart has also been displaced in his body because of it. His heart is definitely beating with less force this week as he is not rocking as he sits. So this is good.

Snowball is also on Enalapril? What dosages of Lasix and Enalapril is he on?

Premium Member
I saw this and thought about you and sweet little Lollie.
馃憤 馃槝

81c1d1c26ad59a1b51fda6e551c17321.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter #31
I saw this and thought about you and sweet little Lollie.
馃憤 馃槝

View attachment 274774
Awww.... thank you! Honestly, this is exactly how it is, I've wanted to jump in the grave with them at death. I'd bargain away everything just to get them back.

Right now I am crocheting a Maltese dog and all I have left to do is sew the parts together and groom it in the fashion of Lollie. 馃槉 This will be my reminder that my baby is still at my side.

Premium Member
Oh my! How adorable and very cute is that!
You are so creative! Such a sweet reminder of your sweet little Lollie.
I'm praying you can enjoy both your crocheted version of Lollie AND the real version for a very long time!
Hugs! 馃惗 馃惥馃尰

Registered
Discussion Starter #34
Oh my! How adorable and very cute is that!
You are so creative! Such a sweet reminder of your sweet little Lollie.
I'm praying you can enjoy both your crocheted version of Lollie AND the real version for a very long time!
Hugs! 馃惗 馃惥馃尰
Thanks! 馃挅

Premium Member
Leyla, I am sorry I missed seeing your last post earlier asking me for the dosages of Snowball鈥檚 Enalapril and Lasix. His Enalapril and Lasix (the Pimobendan, too) are compounded ... but, the dosages are the same as the regular tabs.

ENALAPRL.. (chicken) VET 0.5MG MINI TABS
Give one tablet by mouth twice daily

FUROSEMIDE
(LASIX)
... 3.125MG MINI TABS
Snowball takes one tablet by mouth once a day.
( he initially took Lasix twice a day ... but, because Snowball鈥檚 condition was stabilized ... his
cardiologist said Snowball was able to take it once a day)

PIMOBENDAN ... (chicken) 0.75MG MINI TABS
Give one tablet by mouth twice a day

HYDROCOCODONE-HOMATROPINE .. 5-1-5. ( this dosage is a specifically formulated dosage for dogs)
(FOR COUGH Snowball can have 1/4 tablet by mouth two to three times a day.
However, so far he only has it twice a day.

Before Snowball鈥檚 vet appointments I give him Gababentin... but, I don鈥檛 have that bottle with the prescribed dosage in front of me right now. He takes that to help calm him down a little so he doesn鈥檛 get overly stressed at vet appointments. Before the pandemic ... all of his check-ups, lab work, and laser/acupuncture treatments were done here at home. That was because it substantially helped reduce the stress levels for him.

The reason I have Snowball鈥檚 heart meds compounded ... is because the regular mini-tabs never divided evenly with the pill cutter! And, that always stressed me because I am a stickler when it comes to making sure Snowball is receiving the proper/exact dosages twice a day. The pill cutters often divide the pills too big or two small! Now with the compounded tabs they don鈥檛 need to be divided at all.

Leyla, I am not online as much as I would like ... so, please know that you can call me if you have any questions or just need or want to talk. You can private message me and I will give you my phone number. Also, I am on Facebook as Marie Zech if you want to friend me there, too.

Please give Lollie lots of hugs and kisses from me. 鉂ゐ煇攫煉曫煇锯潳

Marie

Registered
Discussion Starter #36
Leyla, I am sorry I missed seeing your last post earlier asking me for the dosages of Snowball鈥檚 Enalapril and Lasix. His Enalapril and Lasix (the Pimobendan, too) are compounded ... but, the dosages are the same as the regular tabs.

ENALAPRL.. (chicken) VET 0.5MG MINI TABS
Give one tablet by mouth twice daily

FUROSEMIDE
(LASIX)
... 3.125MG MINI TABS
Snowball takes one tablet by mouth once a day.
( he initially took Lasix twice a day ... but, because Snowball鈥檚 condition was stabilized ... his
cardiologist said Snowball was able to take it once a day)

PIMOBENDAN ... (chicken) 0.75MG MINI TABS
Give one tablet by mouth twice a day

HYDROCOCODONE-HOMATROPINE .. 5-1-5. ( this dosage is a specifically formulated dosage for dogs)
(FOR COUGH Snowball can have 1/4 tablet by mouth two to three times a day.
However, so far he only has it twice a day.

Before Snowball鈥檚 vet appointments I give him Gababentin... but, I don鈥檛 have that bottle with the prescribed dosage in front of me right now. He takes that to help calm him down a little so he doesn鈥檛 get overly stressed at vet appointments. Before the pandemic ... all of his check-ups, lab work, and laser/acupuncture treatments were done here at home. That was because it substantially helped reduce the stress levels for him.

The reason I have Snowball鈥檚 heart meds compounded ... is because the regular mini-tabs never divided evenly with the pill cutter! And, that always stressed me because I am a stickler when it comes to making sure Snowball is receiving the proper/exact dosages twice a day. The pill cutters often divide the pills too big or two small! Now with the compounded tabs they don鈥檛 need to be divided at all.

Leyla, I am not online as much as I would like ... so, please know that you can call me if you have any questions or just need or want to talk. You can private message me and I will give you my phone number. Also, I am on Facebook as Marie Zech if you want to friend me there, too.

Please give Lollie lots of hugs and kisses from me. 鉂ゐ煇攫煉曫煇锯潳

Marie
Hello Marie!

Thanks for all your info on Snowball's med dosages! In comparison, Lollie is loaded with the heart meds. I am so happy to hear Snowball has stabilized. Sounds like he is getting the best of care between doctors and your love! He is one lucky boy to have you! 馃惗

Lollie has some advanced crippling arthritis mainly in his back and leg joints and was on Rimadyal for inflammation and pain for about 1 yr previously. But now that he is on these heart meds, Rimadyal doesn't play nice with these drugs (it weakens the strength and potency of the Enalapril especially) so his arthritis has been on a roll lately. Yesterday Lollie came down his foam stairs off the couch and started crying loudly, flopped down writhing in pain! Terrified me to death to say the least, and of course its weekend. (Vets are closed) Anyway, I quieted him down and laid him on his side and gave him a dose of the Rimadyal. He hurt quite a bit yesterday. He is better today now and seems to be back to where he was before this shooting pain, thankfully he didn't dislocate anything! He is way to young to be so old! :cry:

Thank you so much for your offer to chat privately. I may need it at some point, you are such a dear!! 馃挅 I don't have Facebook, yes I live under a rock. 馃槀 But I appreciate your compassion Marie!! 馃槝馃挄 Give Snowball huggies and smooches for me!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #38
Omg...this is absolutely the cutest!! I wish I could make something like that. I don鈥檛 have the patience or the talent.
Like Paulann said, I hope you get to enjoy the both of them for a very long time 馃挄
Thanks so much! The stitch to create all the hair (loop stitch) is a bit difficult on my arthritic hands, 馃槀 under all that is a smooth looking dog. It's a fun pattern as long as I don't add the loop stitch!

Those 3 adorable babies in your signature are so cute! 馃挅

Premium Member
Thanks so much! The stitch to create all the hair (loop stitch) is a bit difficult on my arthritic hands, 馃槀 under all that is a smooth looking dog. It's a fun pattern as long as I don't add the loop stitch!

Those 3 adorable babies in your signature are so cute! 馃挅
It looks very time consuming. I admire you, Paulann and everyone else here who is crafty and the patience/focus that鈥檚 needed to complete these projects 馃グ

Registered
Discussion Starter #40
It looks very time consuming. I admire you, Paulann and everyone else here who is crafty and the patience/focus that鈥檚 needed to complete these projects 馃グ
Crocheting is so relaxing. I'm pretty high strung, 馃槀 so having to focus helps me stay centered. I tend to do more in the winter, I have several patterns lined up already.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts