Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You may remember while on vacation a couple weeks ago I posted about fleas and runny eyes. When we got back from vacation we headed right for the Vet and Ty was diagnosed with conjunctivitis in both eyes, one worse than the other. He's been on antibiotic and steroid drops for almost a week and is looking much better but not a 100% yet.

I usually give him a bath on Sat and he really does need it, his head is pretty goopey. Do you all think I should wait or is it ok to bathe him.

Anyone with thoughts on the cause? The Vet was kinda vague. Could the fleas have caused it? Could I have caused it by getting water in his eyes when bathing? We are outside ALOT, did he pick it up in the dirt? I understand this can become a chronic problem so want to have a bit better understanding.

I was wondering if his hair had anything to do with it, it has just recently gotten long enough to put up in a band but sometimes the strands fall out, could the fallen strands irritate his eyes and cause it?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Lady has had problems with conjunctivitis the past few years. In her case, my vet said it is caused by her allergies. I think it can also be caused by a bacterial infection.

How much longer will Ty be on the drops? I'm surprised that after a week of treatment it's still goopy-looking. Lady's eye usually looks better in 24 hours. Of course, I start treatment with the first sign of green goop, so that may be why. If Ty's eye was infected for awhile, it will take longer to clear up.

I can't see how a bath would bother his eye. You don't get shampoo and water in his eyes anyway, do you? I use large squirt bottles (kethcup & mustard ones!) for water to rinse so I can control it and not get it in eyes or ears.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Conjunctivitis is a viral infection that is often in the air, not only can your baby get it but it is normally highly contageous as well and humans can get it also. You need to be very careful to wash your hands after treating Ty's eyes.
We went to visit the kids back in Aust and hubby caught it from our little grandson.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We were on vacation without access to a vet when it started so it was pretty bad by the time we got home. He is much MUCH better, most of the "goop" is residual goop that I have not dared wash off. The Vet actually cut some off but told me not to worry about the rest til he was better.

I'm very careful about handwashing before during and after treating his eyes so as not to spread from one eye to the next or to my other dog. That is why I was worried about bathing, I wondered if the running water could irritate the eye again....at this point he really needs to have his face washed to get the goop off, even if only with clear water.

Thansk for the web site, very helpful!!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I dug up this thread cause Miko has conjunctivities from allergies I guess. We had to go to a vet today cause one of his eyes actually looked smaller in size than the other (and was a bit more swollen) and he had all this green gook around it. We rushed him to a new vet since we are in the Palo Alto (I am still away and Miko is with my husband but they were visiting me for the weekend). This vet was just amazing!! She did the whole test for possible corneal abrasion, then rinsed out his eye really well. Which was difficult cause Miko kept looking in every direction just to escape the drops. Then she talked to us for like an hour on a sunday evening. So now I have to send off my poor husband tommorow with Miko on oral antibiotic, eye cream and benadryl!!! Hopefully he will manage but I guess we don't have a choice

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Awwwww Poor Miko, I sure hope he feeling better real soon
Gee that vet sounds amazing, it's good when you can find a really good caring vet when away from home and your usual one. I reckon hubby will do great caring for Miko too

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Lady's prone to conjunctivitis, too, from allergies. I keep Terramycin on hand (non-prescription, but approved by my vet) and it clears it up quickly.

I don't know where you live, but in here North Carolina this is a terrible time of year for allergies with the trees doin' their thing! Lady gets Zyrtec and it really does help her.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After battling green gook for 2 months we have discovered that one drop of Tobramycin Ophthalmic solution 0.3% in each eye QD keeps Tys eyes completly free of infection. It seems to be allergies but the drops actually work better than the antihistimines and there has been no staining.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts