Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I need a reality check here. We bred Pudge and the babies are due to go to their homes in 2 weeks, we were given the pick of the liter for breeding, and I am seriously considering keeping him. He is sooooo sweet and his personality is just like Pudge's laid back. Keep in mind that Sophie who is 5mos old is at our house often (daily) as she lives right next door so we kind of already have 3. Do you all think I am crazy
? My only concern is the potty training as PUdge and Josie are potty trained and go out the doggie door, so we would have to pad train the little one for awhile until it was old enough to go outside. Plus P&J sleep with us, and the little one couldn't for awhile until potty trained, would that be unfair???? Help I need to decide really soon.......

·
Registered
994 Posts
Originally posted by 2happymalts@Nov 22 2004, 06:36 PM
Okay, so I need a reality check here. We bred Pudge and the babies are due to go to their homes in 2 weeks, we were given the pick of the liter for breeding, and I am seriously considering keeping him. He is sooooo sweet and his personality is just like Pudge's laid back.  Keep in mind that Sophie who is 5mos old is at our house often (daily) as she lives right next door so we kind of already have 3. Do you all think I am crazy
?  My only concern is the potty training as PUdge and Josie are potty trained and go out the doggie door, so we would have to pad train the little one for awhile until it was old enough to go outside. Plus P&J sleep with us, and the little one couldn't for awhile until potty trained, would that be unfair???? Help I need to decide really soon.......

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17959
[/QUOTE]

Believe if i could i would have a million maxis i love this breed and its really like having children, i dont have any so maxi is my baby and i am also thinking about getting maxi a sister or brother i actually went this past friday and they had a sister and brother 2200 each and i wanted both of them they were adorable and they had the baby doll faces and when i picked them up they were loving me as i was them but thank god i was in the city so i had to go back to work
i say go for it

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i wish i could get one too but in oreder to get parker i had to agree no more pets until 2 of the 3 pass away
so its going to be a while b/c cats live forever!!!!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
i wish i could "kidnap" my parents maltese and keep her but they are gonna kill me if they find out i kidnapped her...

i also want like 3 more maltese but i guess not until i get my own house..dont know when that'll be coz im still a student ...still got about 2 years left until i graduate..

unless i get married !!!! and the husband has enough money to buy a house !! or better, already has a house !!!!

but i might not even stay in the states after school..im on a student visa...
i'll be kicked out of america if i dont get a job and a working visa within a year i graduate..

byebye america

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Nov 22 2004, 08:39 PM
i wish i could get one too but in oreder to get parker i had to agree no more pets until 2 of the 3 pass away
  so its going to be a while b/c cats live forever!!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=18000
[/QUOTE]

This is my dilemma too...hubby says NO WAY! But Brinkley really wants a sister...and his breeder is getting ready to have another litter...but not from his parents...actually his daddy got run over

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by MalteseJane@Nov 22 2004, 09:25 PM
When I think about the vet bills, I can afford only one. So I stay with one.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=18010
[/QUOTE]

Well said, Janine. I think that is one thing everyone should keep in mind before adding another Maltese (or any pet) to their family is if they can afford a "worse case scenario" (like surgery for luxating patellas, a chronic medical condition like my Lady's diabetes, etc.) for every single one of their fur babies. I know it's tempting when they are young and healthy but as they age, a number of health issues can come up that can really strain the budget. I figured out that I spend about $1800 a year on Lady's medications and diabetic supplies alone per year, have averaged about $1,000 a year in vet expenses since she turned 5, and that doesn't even include "normal" expenses like food, etc.

I KNOW I couldn't afford another one and still be able to take care of Lady properly.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I don't think anyone is saying that someone who can't afford the vet bills should get a bunch of dogs. To me my dogs are like my children(they come first). If I have to do without the new car or the jewelry in order to have my companions, I do.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i have 3 dogs....and its actually pretty cool because when one is tired...the other two are fine to play. lol.

and we had gruffi sleeping in our bed since day one.....he was 5 weeks old. and we only had 2 accidents in the bed(totally my fault). and he was a big dog. lol. he was sprites size when he was 5 weeks old.
now he's almost my height when he stands!

if you can definitely afford it---go for it. as long as you know that your dogs want another dog in the house. i know that the three dogs we have now would HATE to have another dog---so i dont think we'll be getting one.

·
Registered
994 Posts
its funny i was just saying to my friend how i havent bought myself anything in ages since i got maxi , i buy him everything every day i come home with a toy, i have a dog walker, i have health insurance, we go to the dog store on the weekends, he gets groomed every 3rd week its a never ending money pit but its one i enjoy and i love that he has a to of toys to play with because he hasnt chewed up one thing in my house so i think all the entertainment has worked on my behalf, if i got him a sister or brother i would do the same

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
There is some very good information here about the real cost of having a dog that should be consdiered before adding another dog:

Of course, purchasing a dog is just the beginning of the demands on your wallet.

"The cost of the dog is the least expensive part of owning a dog," said Stephanie Shain, director of outreach for companion animals for the Humane Society of the United States. "What you'll spend every year in caring for the dog will exceed that."

The American Pet Products Manufacturers Association estimates the average yearly cost for a dog to be more than $1,200. Some typical expenses are veterinary care, grooming, dog training, rental housing pet deposits, supplies, toys, food, treats, pet sitting and licensing.

The most expensive years of a dog's life typically are the first year and the senior years.

For a puppy, first-year veterinary care will cover an entire vaccination series, spaying or neutering, heartworm preventive, flea and tick control and deworming.

"Dogs should see a veterinarian at least once a year," said Clark Fobian, president of the Missouri Veterinary Medical Association. "During about one-third of our routine examinations, we'll discover fleas, tapeworms, ear mites and other things the owners didn't realize the pets had."

The senior years bring health concerns related to aging. Medication to treat chronic conditions such as arthritis, diabetes or congestive heart disease can quickly add up to hundreds of dollars a year.

And contrary to what some pet owners think, getting a pure-bred dog in no way ensures a healthier dog, Fobian said. The "hybrid vigor" of mutts often makes mixed breeds a more affordable choice initially and in the long run.

Some breeds are more susceptible to certain conditions or ailments; others have inherent genetic diseases that owners must treat and factor into their pet-care budget.

"Some of these conditions can be chronic and lifelong," said Merry Crimi, companion-animal veterinarian in Portland, Ore., and past president of the American Animal Hospital Association.

Cockers and Shar-peis, for example, often have skin and ear infections that must be treated with antibiotics, shampoos and antifungal drugs throughout their lives. German Shepherd dogs can develop hip, back or pelvic problems later in life, Crimi said. Surgery on both hips can cost $4,000.

I think many people end up mistakenly thinking that when they've gotten through the expense of the first year with spaying or neutering, shots, etc., they are "home free" so to speak and can safely get another dog. As this article points out, the senior years (which are from around 6 and up) can be very expensive, especially with the number of genetic ailments Maltese are prone too. You may be able to afford 2 Maltese now, but will you be able to down the road?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Nov 23 2004, 12:40 PM
There is some very good information here about the real cost of having a dog that should be consdiered before adding another dog:

Of course, purchasing a dog is just the beginning of the demands on your wallet.

"The cost of the dog is the least expensive part of owning a dog," said Stephanie Shain, director of outreach for companion animals for the Humane Society of the United States. "What you'll spend every year in caring for the dog will exceed that."

The American Pet Products Manufacturers Association estimates the average yearly cost for a dog to be more than $1,200. Some typical expenses are veterinary care, grooming, dog training, rental housing pet deposits, supplies, toys, food, treats, pet sitting and licensing.

The most expensive years of a dog's life typically are the first year and the senior years.

For a puppy, first-year veterinary care will cover an entire vaccination series, spaying or neutering, heartworm preventive, flea and tick control and deworming.

"Dogs should see a veterinarian at least once a year," said Clark Fobian, president of the Missouri Veterinary Medical Association. "During about one-third of our routine examinations, we'll discover fleas, tapeworms, ear mites and other things the owners didn't realize the pets had."

The senior years bring health concerns related to aging. Medication to treat chronic conditions such as arthritis, diabetes or congestive heart disease can quickly add up to hundreds of dollars a year.

And contrary to what some pet owners think, getting a pure-bred dog in no way ensures a healthier dog, Fobian said. The "hybrid vigor" of mutts often makes mixed breeds a more affordable choice initially and in the long run.

Some breeds are more susceptible to certain conditions or ailments; others have inherent genetic diseases that owners must treat and factor into their pet-care budget.

"Some of these conditions can be chronic and lifelong," said Merry Crimi, companion-animal veterinarian in Portland, Ore., and past president of the American Animal Hospital Association.

Cockers and Shar-peis, for example, often have skin and ear infections that must be treated with antibiotics, shampoos and antifungal drugs throughout their lives. German Shepherd dogs can develop hip, back or pelvic problems later in life, Crimi said. Surgery on both hips can cost $4,000.

I think many people end up mistakenly thinking that when they've gotten through the expense of the first year with spaying or neutering, shots, etc., they are "home free" so to speak and can safely get another dog. As this article points out, the senior years (which are from around 6 and up) can be very expensive, especially with the number of genetic ailments Maltese are prone too. You may be able to afford 2 Maltese now, but will you be able to down the road?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=18145
[/QUOTE]

Yes I could because I would do whatever I had to in order to take care of my dogs. Loyalty goes both ways :D

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Good answer!

I'm the same way. Lady's medical expenses are staggering - much more that I ever could have conceived of when I adopted her. I have to budget so closely just to make sure I stagger the refills, etc. so they don't hit all at once since I only get paid once a month. I have also done payments plans with my vets when her bills were near $1000 a couple of times.

I definately do without to support her. My Saturn has over 100,000 miles on it now and no way could I afford car payments.

I am fortunate to be single and that my kids are grown so I don't have to juggle "do I reorder Lady's $46 potassium bromide (for seizures)" or do I buy my son new sneakers?

As far as loyalty goes, I don't think Lady's that loyal! I swear she thinks she's entitled!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Originally posted by Maxismom@Nov 23 2004, 11:21 AM
its funny i was just saying to my friend how i havent bought myself anything in ages since i got maxi , i buy him everything every day i come home with a toy, i have a dog walker, i have health insurance, we go to the dog store on the weekends, he gets groomed every 3rd week  its a never ending money pit but its one i enjoy and i love that he has a to of toys to play with because he hasnt chewed up one thing in my house so i think all the entertainment has worked on my behalf, if i got him a sister or brother i would do the same
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=18135
[/QUOTE]

I haven't bought much for myself either. I don't look as cute anymore because I don't buy clothes like I use to(lol...it's my vanity speaking). And I work at a clothing store(VERY RARELY) and my older sister usually wants stuff and I just buy it for her. So I buy more clothes for her than myself. I have to buy more fluffy stuffed toys for them soon too. And then christmas is coming up and my cousins coming to visit today and I want to show them a good time.
It would just seem so selfish if my babies lose something so that I can gain. I have them now so I don't really need too much to keep me happy. But the good thing is that it isnt expensive to please them so I still have something left over for me...teehee
2happymalts--are you secure enough for one? Do you have the time to potty train them (which was fairly miserable for me LOL). For me, I'd have to really think for a while on this issue, so if I don't have enough time, I'd have to say no. But that's me. GOOD LUCK! Regardless of your decision you always have 3 babies running around!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you all for the great feedback. Well we are going to bring the two boys home that are left on Friday for a few hours to see how Pudge and Josie and of course Sophie interact with them. I know which one I am in love with, but they have to want another one around also, it is their house
they just let us live there and support them.
I know what you mean about the financial part of it and trust me much thought has gone into that. As I said we have -0- skin kids so we are lucky we have the extra money to spoil them and care for them. During the first 10 months of this year I have spent over $2500 on the two 1/2 that we have. So would anticipate adding this one will bring it to about $4000 annually not including anything drastic, and that is okay. We take them for grooming every 2-3 weeks and the vet knows us personally, if you know what I mean
We already know that Josie may need surgery on both knees and are okay with that cost .

I would love to potty train them (ooops him-hubby talked about keeping both boys so I guess I was thinking about that as I typed) outside to start with but the first 10 days he will be with us hubby and I are both working , then hubby is off for long Christmas break and will be home all day to work with him. So I guess I will just need to go home a few times a day until his break-it is doable. We are home quite a bit so our lifestyle would be okay adding more, they would have us around. I tell me husband that I have no life except like DMZ to live for my pupsters....he agrees-they have him whupped. And I have plenty of lap space as well as chest space (sophie's fav place to sleep) so one more would just keep me that much warmer

I will keep you posted after the visit on Friday.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I love getting Maxi stuff i love to come home and say to Maxi
"Mommy has a present for you " and he runs jumping up and down as happy as can be , thats what i love and thats what makes me happy

I laugh when i think about stuff with him because who woudl ever of thought i would be like this and i am Maxi gets away with practically everything
because i love him so , and most of all he is a good boy around other people so i must be doing something right
come january i will not be traveling to NYC anymore and Maxi will be coming to work with me so he is going to be a happy camper
and so will I

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I love getting Maxi stuff i love to come home and say to Maxi
"Mommy has a present for you " and he runs jumping up and down as happy as can be , thats what i love and thats what makes me happy

I know what you mean it is as if they know when you have something for them....hmmm could it be because most days I do....

Maxi will be so happy to get to go to work with you-lucky dog Maxi is lucky too
. If you lived in Washington you could have a new little brother for him, for a really good price, because I would know you'd spoil him and take good care of him. It is not about making money on the babies it is about getting them to good homes that will give them what they deserve (to be worshipped
)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts