Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this would be good to share with everyone here...

When I decided I wanted a Maltese, my Mum was all sceptical about it - "Why do you want one of those?" "They're ugly with that long hair" (mind you, at this time she hadn't actually seen a maltese for real - just an odd pic here and there - obviously bad ones by her reaction! LOL) "It'll get filthy" "It'll take too much to look after it" blah blah and so on...

WELL.... I got Abby and both Mum & Dad were smitten from day 1. I had to drive 5 hours to get her. Dad took me in their new car. He was whining the whole way saying "I don't really want a dog in my car" "It better not pee in here". HA! Dad is a big sook - he rings up most days and says "Hello, How's the baby?" (referring to Abby) and I always reply with "I'm good thanks Dad how about you?" with an overtone of sarcasm!

And Mum isn't much better...

They stayed at my house this last Saturday night because I had to take them to the airport early in the morning (they live in a town about half an hour from where I live and about 45 minutes from the airport)... and I caught her!! Her and my dad absolutely ADORE Abby - they even call themselves "Grandma & Grandad"!!!

So Dad & I were sitting in the kitchen and Mum was in the hallway. She was chatting away to Abby, cuddling and petting her.... next minute she blurts out "I think when we get another puppy it'll have to be one just like you".
BUSTED!!!

She still has two dogs of her own (don't get her wrong, she LOVES her babies!), and would never get one while she still had them - her two dogs, Nell & Rosie are outside puppies and she "couldn't do that to them"... I think that means she's going to let this puppy live inside!!! SHE HAS NEVER LET ANIMALS IN HER HOUSE UNTIL ABBY CAME ALONG!!! I kid you not! In my entire 22 years of life, I have seen one animal (other than fish) in their house - and that's Abby!

Must be that gorgeous Maltese charm hey???
Anyone else have a similar story??

She has even gone as far as deciding she will keep this pup in puppy cut because she thinks they are cuter that way! CONVERTED!!! LOL

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Cute story!
I am waiting until we go home to visit at Thanksgiving. Not sure what to do with Brinkley yet. We usually stay with my grandmother...who has cats inside...but does not care for dogs. I want to take him, but if we stay in a hotel it will hurt her feelings, and he will have to stay in the hotel alone when we are gone...b/c she doesn't want him in the house... <_< But, I am going to work on her some...see if he can stay in the porch...and me bring a gate with me...it may not work...but I don't want to board him. My sister said he could stay with them...but she has two chihuahuas and a 2 year old, and a brand new baby. He would be able to go outside in the back yard and play...but without me there to supervise all the time..I don't like it too much. I am really torn about what to do.
I keep thinking she will be hooked when she sees him, but she is really stubborn and set in her ways.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by tlunn@Oct 25 2004, 10:28 PM
Cute story!
I am waiting until we go home to visit at Thanksgiving. Not sure what to do with Brinkley yet. We usually stay with my grandmother...who has cats inside...but does not care for dogs.  I want to take him, but if we stay in a hotel it will hurt her feelings, and he will have to stay in the hotel alone when we are gone...b/c she doesn't want him in the house... <_< But, I am going to work on her some...see if he can stay in the porch...and me bring a gate with me...it may not work...but I don't want to board him. My sister said he could stay with them...but she has two chihuahuas and a 2 year old, and a brand new baby. He would be able to go outside in the back yard and play...but without me there to supervise all the time..I don't like it too much. I am really torn about what to do.
I keep thinking she will be hooked when she sees him, but she is really stubborn and set in her ways.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=13265
[/QUOTE]

Well, my parents "shifted" they views pretty much immediately and really softened to Abby (mind you, it could have something to do with the fact that she's cute and knows how to use it! LOL)

Maybe plan a quick visit beforehand, to see if she will "fall in love" so to speak?!

I know what you mean though, I'm very particular in who I leave Abby with. I won't leave her with anyone else unless I am in absolute desperation. One day it was storming badly here last week (amazing considering we are in drought! LOL). She was scared of the thunder and lightning, but I had to go to work and couldn't take her with me - I even considered calling in sick - but it wasn't really a possibility because I'm temp and don't get paid for sick leave. One of my best mates is on holidays and she looked after her for the day. I stressed all day despite knowing that she wouldn't do ANYTHING to my baby - she sees me & Abby pretty much every day and knows how I look after her, what and when she eats etc etc.... I phoned her two or three times that day to make sure all was okay - and that was really holding back so I didn't offend her!

Only other people I have left her with are my parents. And they know what I expect too - although they do tend to spoil her a bit when she's there!

It's hard to find someone to trust 100%

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by tlunn@Oct 25 2004, 10:28 PM
Cute story!
I am waiting until we go home to visit at Thanksgiving. Not sure what to do with Brinkley yet. We usually stay with my grandmother...who has cats inside...but does not care for dogs.  I want to take him, but if we stay in a hotel it will hurt her feelings, and he will have to stay in the hotel alone when we are gone...b/c she doesn't want him in the house... <_< But, I am going to work on her some...see if he can stay in the porch...and me bring a gate with me...it may not work...but I don't want to board him. My sister said he could stay with them...but she has two chihuahuas and a 2 year old, and a brand new baby. He would be able to go outside in the back yard and play...but without me there to supervise all the time..I don't like it too much. I am really torn about what to do.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=13265
[/QUOTE]

Would she agree to a play pen, lined with a plastic sheet? You could take him outside as much as possible and only leave him in there when you can't be with him. It's not the best of ideas, but an idea all the same.... I'd rather that than a boarding kennel or something!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Maybe could do that...gotta find one cheap...b/c won't use it very often.. <_<

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by tlunn@Oct 25 2004, 11:08 PM
Maybe could do that...gotta find one cheap...b/c won't use it very often.. <_<
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=13268
[/QUOTE]

I got a pretty good one here in Australia (sufficient for what I wanted it for) for $29.99 Australian (I think that's about $17-18 American). I found it really handy...
I'll post a pic of it here when I get a chance, to show you what it's like. If worse came to worse, I could always mail one over to you before Christmas! LOL

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Tlunn--If you pass by Nashville on your way to your parents, I can babysit for you! HAHA Where do your parents live?

When my mom heard that I got ButterCloud she thought I was crazy to buy a dog (I hate to say "buy"). My sis has a maltese, Phoenix, who's Noriko's bro. My mom does NOT look like a dog lover. She looks like she'd kick a dog before she loves it! HAHAHAH I'm really kidding...you know what I mean
. But once, my sis was in the room w/Phoenix and my mom snuck in just to get phoenix. HAHA It's very sweet. It's funny to see a different side of someone you know all your life!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Oct 26 2004, 01:46 AM
But once, my sis was in the room w/Phoenix and my mom snuck in just to get phoenix.  HAHA  It's very sweet.  It's funny to see a different side of someone you know all your life!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=13277
[/QUOTE]

haha yes i know what u mean

but sometimes i get really jealous

how come they are never ever sweet and loving to me ???

like my mom..when i was living with her she used to call her maltese by my name, and called me "gongju" thats her maltese name..she loved her that much she got my name all confused!!

anywayz, if ppl do have a sweet side of them, how come they only show it to their doggies?? why cant they show it to me..???? *sob*

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Oct 26 2004, 01:46 AM
Tlunn--If you pass by Nashville on your way to your parents, I can babysit for you! HAHA  Where do your parents live?

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=13277
[/QUOTE]

Other direction...going to Oklahoma...
Thanks though...
Mostly I don't want to be without him for 4-5 days...
Poor cats...Poor outside dogs...I don't worry about leaving them... :ph34r: Why is Brinkley so different?

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
sunshine, your story made me totally laugh. your parents remind me of my mom!!

Whats a sook??

and it was funny when i got sprite...i wanted to treat her like a dog, and my mom thought i was cruel!! and then when we wanted gruffi, my mom was like "he's staying outside" and we were like "no way". now my mom makes scarfs and gets our sweaters so she can dress him!! LOL. (gruffi is our big dog). anyway, tlunn, i totally hope everything works out. i hate people who dont like dogs---my brother hates my dogs. and he makes a point to not sit in our house because we allow the dogs on our furniture.

·
Registered
707 Posts
My parents have been baby sitting Bella since I got her because I bought a condo that was pre-construction and it was suppose to be ready to move in by August. I haven't closed yet (they say this week but I just don't believe them anymore) Anyway, my father hates little dogs. He's a labrador lover...NOT ANYMORE!!!! He's totally in love with Bella. He treats her like a child. Oh and my mom...she would never let our shih-zu(which passed away 6 years ago) in her bed or her room but with Bella, Bella owns their house.

It is a Maltese thing!!!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
THat is funny! :D My mom is the same way, she is not a dog person at all but just loves Caesar like crazy. One of dads first comments were " So I guess I can't get a hunting dog I think if we get a dog it will be one of these". She just cuddles with him, and can't take him on enough walks to show him around the neighborhood as her "grandpuppy" :D Now she has decided when she has more time (home more than she is now) then she will get a little puppy. Dad has offered one as a Christmas puppy but she said she wants to wait until she is home more to worry about training etc with a baby puppy.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
My parents and hubby weren't totally into my idea of getting a dog.. My parents because I think they still saw me as a little kid without enough responsibility and my husband because he was used to big ol' outdoor dogs. My sister is the one that kept me from listening to them and I'm so glad she did because now, all of them love, love, love Tuffy.
My mom, who normally isn't an animal person just loves Tuffy (and now Palbert, her other grandpuppy *thanks Caesar's Mommy for that word, I love it!*) She loved how Tuffy would just curl up next to her and let her just pet him for hours and she totally needed that the last time we were all together. She's thinking about getting one now! My dad even loves Tuffy, but he still kids me whenever I put clothes on him.. he's a nut.
It's amazing how everybody seems to be drawn to them! Even big guys that wouldn't normally be into the little dogs come up to the Tuffy and tell him how cute he is.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Maybe my grandmother will convert...

·
Registered
387 Posts
I totally relate. My mom was discouraging me to get a dog. Well from the moment I got Gizmo my whol family was smitten. My dad never paid any attention to ouyr dogs, but when Gizmo visits he plays with him for ages, and he'll walk me to my car etc. My brother visits me...er..well he visits Gizmo. I have no problem every finding a puppy-sitter. I have no end to volunteers!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Originally posted by Mystify79@Oct 26 2004, 10:43 AM
My parents and hubby weren't totally into my idea of getting a dog.. My parents because I think they still saw me as a little kid without enough responsibility and my husband because he was used to big ol' outdoor dogs. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=13317
[/QUOTE]

I'm kind of the same way... except it's my boyfriend not my husband!
(oh hopefully one day....ok, not the point). Davin loves big dogs, he wanted me to wait until we were living together before we got a dog, and he wanted a BIG dog. Not that I'm scared of big dogs, but little dogs are just so soft and cuddely! Now, he can't get enough of Martini, he thinks she is just the greatest thing! When he hasn't seen her in a while he likes me to put the phone on speaker phone so she doesn't forget his voice...way to cute!!!

When I was showing my family pictures they couldn't believe I wasn't getting a shih tzu, but they all just love her so much. My mom and I were talking over the weekend about getting Louie a brother/sister... she sort of hinted towards a maltese. I said that when my lease is up I am going to want to get Tini a friend being that my roommate owns her brother, and she is so used to having a playmate... so we will see what March my bring for me, and for my parents!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
its another aussie word!! lol. we say "wuss" for wimps here. lol. or other words(which i hate cuz they're inappropriate).

i remember reading Harry Potter and he has different words for like "the trunk of the car". they say another word for trunk. :wacko: it gets confusing. lol.

i remember when we first got sprite, my brother and his family came over and took a picture with her(without me in the pic!!). isnt that weird?? but now they totally ignore my dogs. they're mean people now.

my grandma LOVES our dogs though. i mentioned somewhere about how sprite basically saved her life(my grandma has alzheimers, it was 6am, we were all asleep, my grandma wandered outside, sprite woke up my mom, my mom found my grandma on our private street laying on the floor).

my grandma doesnt remember that, but whenever she sees them, she always knows to call them her grandchildren. lol.
and she says that gruffi looks human and chews like a human. :D

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Oct 27 2004, 08:30 AM
its another aussie word!!  lol.  we say "wuss" for wimps here.  lol.  or other words(which i hate cuz they're inappropriate). 

i remember reading Harry Potter and he has different words for like "the trunk of the car".  they say another word for trunk.  :wacko:  it gets confusing.  lol. 
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=13427
[/QUOTE]

another aussie word ...jetty...thats dock (at the beach) in american english..i didnt know that was aussie engl. and i used that to my american friend and she didnt know what i was talking about.she was like huh?? jetta??

Originally posted by doctorcathy@Oct 27 2004, 08:30 AM
my grandma doesnt remember that, but whenever she sees them, she always knows to call them her grandchildren.  lol. 
  and she says that gruffi looks human and chews like a human.  :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=13427
[/QUOTE]

awww thats so sweet ~

my mom used to say i chew like a cow when i eat :ph34r:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts