Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Administrator
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Time for another contest. :)

We want to hear the story behind your dog's name. It's that simple. You can post your stories in this thread.

Contest closes on October 31 at 11:59pm EST.

The winner will be chosen by the SM mod team.

The prize for the winner will be:

A Petrageous stainless steel elevated dining set. I'll try to get a picture of the dining set soon.

Let's see those stories folks!

Yung

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Our Edgar was named by my husband, he did not want a fluffy name. I surprised my husband with our pom Emmet, to soften things I let him pick the name so now we had 2 E names. When we bought our 2nd Maltese she had to have a name that started with E. After several day's we decided she would be Ellie. After we lost Ellie I waited 3 months and I found a breeder that had a female maltese the name the breeder gave her was Mercedes. My husband loved the name, He tells people if we ever get another male maltese we will name him Beemer. My husband loves BMW's. People think it is funny that we have a Malt named Mercedes but drive BMW's.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Bella was originally called wilma by the breeder but right away i knew she was never going to be a wilma

Bella was born with a serious heart condition as most SM members know and only given a max of 6 months to live. Most people including vets told me not to take her, to leave her and get a ''nice healthy'' puppy and to forget her but by then id totally fallen in love with her just from her photos, plus i knew that the breeder wasn't going to bother with any vet treatment and that life for her would be pretty bad

Bella was the most beautiful tiny puppy idever seen - all 1lb 8 of her the day i took her home and since Bella is the Italian for beautiful it just seemed to fit perfectly!

Of course bellas surprised everyone, esp the vets as she is now 7 years old and although on daily medication is doing great and still looks as beautiful as ever

·
Premium Member
5,464 Posts
I originally was looking for a female maltese puppy - and had her name picked out - Daisy.
The breeder emailed me pics of the 3 puppies that were available - Girl, Boy 1 & Boy 2.
I fell in love with Boy 2 :wub:

I made a massive list of boy names - over 50 names!
I managed to narrow it down to 3 - Henry, Koda & Milo.
That was when I joined SM and I posted a thread with pics of my future puppy and the 3 names and asked members which was their faveourite - Milo was the clear winner! Also at that time on a dog forum I had been a member of for a long time - Milo(then called, "puppy") had earned the name "cyclops" as all the pics only showed one of his eyes lol - so I quickly decided to go with what SM chose - and "puppy" became Milo! :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
Tessa's name was originally China Doll. I changed her name to Tessa because after looking through a baby name book I came across the meaning to Tessa and it fit her perfectly!! Tessa means FOURTH. I have Jack my first, Mindy(who passed from breast cancer in Dec '08) was my second, Pixie is my third and so Tessa was my fourth. Everyone thought that I would go with the name Chloe but after they found out the meaning of Tessa's name they loved it!! The great thing is Tessa actually responded to the name the day I got her. It was ment to be!!

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
When I first got Archie I didn't know what to name him! After a week I gave him the name Loki (acient god of mischief). But no one could remember it....including me! :blush:

Stan's hero is Archie Bunker.....so when I mentioned the name, he jumped at it and said "Yes"!!!! ...thus Archie.

Then when we got our next malt, she was supposed to be named Angel, even her breeder was calling her that to get used to it. Then a friend of mine read off random letters of the alphabet to me and I had to say the first name that came in to my mind. The funny thing is when she said "A", I was supposed to say Angel, but the name Abbey came out :w00t::unsure: hummmm.....so her name became Abbey.

Then when i got my third little girl, I did name her Angel. It seemed God wanted all the angels for himself so he took her away. After that I said I'd never name another dog Angel. (Several years ago I had a kitten named Angel that god took very early tooo:w00t:) ....I will never ever name another pet Angel.

So then came a tiny little princess, a little girl who was like a tiny movie star. I named her "Angel's Adore Ava L'Amour". A name fit for a star. My shinging little star :thumbsup:

Oh, then there's that silly knucklehead yorkie that I rescued from a puppy mill. The serious guy who doesn't know how to play or have fun. he needed a "fun" name....even if it just made me smile. Thus Tinker Toy...or Tinky Winky, LOL.....yes, it still makes me smile. And he's still as serious as ever.

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Our Barron was named after my cousin Barron. I always loved my little cousin, Barron. He was much younger than the rest of us - we all pretty much took care of him during his childhood (we called him "Bo" and his sister "Co" (her name is Nicole).

When my husband and I lost our two Cocker Spaniels - we decided that we would foster - it wasn’t two weeks after the passing of our beloved Nicholas that we got a call.

I wasn’t ready for it, or so I thought. We kept our word and opened our hearts. when we went to get him - there before us, was the scruffiest, most matted, little guy you ever saw (10 weeks old, mind you)- I couldn’t wait to give him a bath - but I couldn’t - he was far beyond anything I had seen.

I called Petco grooming, because I needed him done STAT - when I brought him in - they said "name" - I said, "Allie" the woman looked at me "didn't you say that he was a boy?" - I answered "yes he is - my name is Allie" - she asked again, "What’s your dogs name?" I said, "He’s not my dog, I would never let a dog get in this condition! He doesn’t have a name, he’s just (I still think how STUPID I must have sounded saying that about a little dog) a foster dog."

Barron, my cousin, died at the age of 36, from a stroke during the very short time that we were "fostering" our Barron - I asked my uncle if he objected to me naming our little fuzz-ball after his son - he replied - "not at all, Allie - he loved animals ALMOST as much as you do" - and so, that fluffy mess of hair, became our "Barron" - I cannot imagine my life without him . . .

Enclosed is a picture of Barron, after we returned home from Petco . . .

·
Registered
198 Posts
When I first met my wife, she had two Maltese pups, Lilo and Stitch. Lilo was her baby... she had rescued her years before and she just positively adored her. Stitch was adopted later to be a companion for Lilo. I loved the pups' names. I, too, am a huge Disney fan and the fact that she loved Disney too was so cute to me.

Earlier this year, we lost Lilo in a tragic accident. My wife was beyond devastated and even now, months later, she will still get teary and emotional when she talks about her. After losing Lilo, Stitch was rehomed to my mother's... It was hard to see Stitch without his Lilo!

Now, months later, we decided we were ready for another puppy. A few years back, Lilo and Stitch had a female puppy and she was now pregnant. The woman who owned the mom called us when the pups were born... we really wanted a female puppy if there was one and not only was there one, there was two! We decided we wanted to adopt one and we picked out a name: Tinker Bell. You see, when my wife rescued Lilo years before, her name had been Tinker at the time and so in her honor, we decided to name her granddaughter Tinker Bell. A few days after the pups were born, we decided we wanted both of them... the woman had been sending us pictures of the two of them cuddled together and we just didn't want to separate them. So the hunt was on for a name for her sister... we knew we wanted a Disney name, preferably one that would show that the two of them are a pair. The obvious choices were Wendy (from Peter Pan) or a name from one of the fairy movies but none of them seemed right. And then, in a moment of brilliance, we thought of Princess Tiger Lily, the Indian princess rescued in the Peter Pan movie.

And now they are finally home with us, our lil Tinker Bell and Tiger Lily... :) Can't imagine life without our pups!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
An alcoholic prankster from DH's office thought it was so darned funny that we were getting a tiny male dog with long hair and top tail. So he jokingly suggested that the puppy be named Casanova. When we got Casanova home, it just seemed to be the perfect name for him as he is such a player and loves to charm the ladies. :wub:

Bijou was the tiny precious girl I always wanted, so it was very easy to name her as she is our precious little jewel. :wub:

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Delilah's full name is...

Jacob's Duet is My Darling Delilah Rose.

The first part is of course our breeders kennel name and I also wanted to include her parent's in there as well. Since her parents have this remarkable ability to "sing", this is where the duet came in. They obviously made beautiful music together, to create such a beautiful girl!:wub: The name Delilah Rose came from my most prized possession in my garden, a beautiful rose bush called the Delilah Rose. And she lives up to every bit of her name! She has the singing gene too and is very vocal to speak her piece. She is of course my darling! I can't imagine not having her in my life. I just love her so much!:wub::wub:

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
I was on the phone with my friend and i had told her i was thinking of naming my puppy Marchello but wasn't sure .We were playing with names and she said to me with a Italian accent Bacha Me Bacha You ..I said thats it Baci means kiss ...So Baci got his name and I get many kisses from him:wub::wub::wub:

·
Registered
216 Posts
A little more than 7 years ago a friend of mine lost her baby. Shortly after that I lost my 18 year old son.

My friend and I used to say that God needed my son to take care of and push her baby on the swings in the garden of Eden. Silly perhaps but it made us feel better to try and rationalize the deaths in our mind.

Thus the name Eden in honor of our children enjoying life in heaven.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Where I live is called Dunedin. It is a small city with a very strong Scottish/Celtic heritage. My skin kid is a piper, and we are interested in all things Celtic. Spookies full name is SeaOutlaws Spookie Samhain, Samhain is the Celtic word for Halloween, which is also her birthday. She will be one.

·
Premium Member
8,106 Posts
Crisse was named by the Humane Society where I adopted her. They made me promise to keep her name and I said of course.

Darla came from "The Little Rascals", fits her perfectly.

Fallon is Gaelic and means "grandchild of the ruler".
xoxoxoxoxo

·
Registered
842 Posts
Well...haha this was literally causing a rift between my parents and I.
When we named Andy, it was NOT this difficult. Nelson's name wasn't 100% settled on until the day we went and picked him up and he was in my arms.
We were literally almost fighting over this. I think the hardest part was getting used to ANYTHING besides Andy. Andy was our first and only dog, so EVERYTHING sounded weird...

We looked online at baby name websites, went and bought baby name books. It was like a child was coming...We went through them daily. We each had our list of names we liked. Of course, my top 5 my parents hated. My moms top 5, my dad and I hated. My dads top 5, my mom and I hated. HAHA there was NOTHING we could all remotely agree on.

I am just looking now and I still have the list of Puppy Names saved on my computer. Some of my favorites were Bently, Dempsey, Jaxson...with a TON of others on there. Is Nelson on there? Nope...

I don't even remember who discovered it, but upon looking through the baby name book...Nelson (Irish meaning) "son of the the Champion" And well since his Daddy is a champion, we thought well that works! Didn't LOVE it at first. But it was a name each of us could live with at least..

Now however, I could NOT NOT NOT picture him as anything else. I guess they all kind of grow into their names over time. But I think it suits him well. His breeders called him "Trouble" since we didn't have a name picked out while he was still there. So his formal nickname then became "Baby Face Nelson" after the gangster :HistericalSmiley: But half of the time the poor dog probably doesn't even know his name. I call my cat Spencer, Boo or BooBoo 90% of the time hahaha. And Nelson I say Nell Nell, Nelly, Nels, Nuh Nuh for some reason haha. But I do love his name, and wouldn't have wanted it any other way!

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
My first malt's name was Bijou Benny. When Bijou passed away I was beyond devasted. When I decided to get another malt I wanted to honor the lifelong love that Bijou had given to me. So Benjamin was named using Bijou's middle name. :wub: For Benny's middle name I used Angelo b/c it means angel in Italian. To honor my Italian husband and because I'm fascinated with angels I came up with Benjamin Angelo.

Emma Anjelica came next. I just couldn't think of a prettier name than Emma. And keeping with the Italian/Angel middle name theme Anjelica fit perfectly.

The most ironic part of Ben and Emma's names was revealed to me about a year after I had them. My friend pointed out to me that I named my dogs after Ross Gellar's kids from the show Friends. (Remember his little boy Ben from his first wife?) And then Ross and Rachel had little Emma? LOL!!!! :HistericalSmiley:

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
We didnt know what we were going to name Dolce , but my daughter wanted a part in it , and shes into fashion lol , So it was either Dolce, Coach , Juicy, Prada and when I met Dolce his name was Dale , and I didnt think it was an ugly name I just thought that he was just too teeny too sweet , and there we chose Dolce, alot of ppl argued with me that it was a girls name , but i didnt think so , he was my Dolce.. and it stuck .. of course i also call him baby , or i call him Damian ( i get him n my son confused lmao ) or cochito lindo de mami ( cute lil thing of mommy ) , my little white boy , and alot of other names i cant remember but he is my Dolce.

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Hunter was a stray, he was dog #_ _ _ _ _ _. Then, the shelter named him Calvin. A family adopted him and named him Hunter. Why the change from Calvin to Hunter? We will never know. When we went to see Hunter shelter said he had only been with his prior family for less than 6 months and so we could change his name.

But, we decided not to. Not only did he answer to the name Hunter but when he came out of the kennel to visit with us he nose-sniffed the entire room and all its items and the people in it before flopping belly-up in front of my husband. He was such a little 'Hunter" that we decided the name had to stay.

Plus, its kinda funny when we tell people our dog's name is Hunter and then they see a little white fluff ball instead of the larger breed dog they were expecting :)

·
Administrator
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
These are alll fantastic stories. You sure make it hard for us to choose. :( Keep 'em coming folks. :)

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Mine is no contest winner for sure, and what amazing stories. You will have such a hard time choosing. But all of you have shared such amazing stories, and they all are special.

Mine are completely boring :), but will share anyway:

Flakey (RIP) - Hubby got him for me as a present around Christmas time. Oh I kept saying he looks like a wittle snowball, but that just did not fit him. So we came up with the name Flakey, as in snowflake, but who knew the little guy would take on an entirely different meaning :blink::wub: We were so blessed to have him.

Tina Marie (RIP) - I named her after me, as I have no skin children. My family calls me Tina, and Christine Marie is my actual name. She was my little daughter.

Kara (RIP)- Gosh, I loved this name. Hubby just came up with it and I fell in love with it.

Mia - We were torn between Nina or Mia. No reason for either, but choose Mia, and it so suits her.

Leo- Could we have done any more perfectly with his name? We actually called the little guy Leo, as my hubby, MIL are both Leo's the zodiac sign.

And that's that. But so enjoyed reading all of your wonderful stories of how your special ones names came about.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts