Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found a baby copperhead snake on my back porch. The snake was only a few feet away from where my puppy was playing! We were eating outside and I turned around and saw the snake.:w00t: Wow I am scared now. I am thinking where there is one baby snake there are more. Anyone have any good ways to keep snakes away?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
A .22? The only good snake is a dead one, yours may have relatives around.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
My hubby was bitten by a copperhead a couple years ago....thank heavens our little granddaughter wasn't with him....she is usually his shadow. I'd say if you found one there might be more. My hubby won't kill a snake....he just "relocates" them. The other day Ollie almost stepped on a black racer (not poisonous) that was about 5 ft. long. I really don't like snakes.

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
I hate snakes.....some peope on here say a baby snake's venom is more poisonious!! I don't know that for a fact but please be careful.......

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hate snakes too.I have nightmares about them.

I asked my husband if we could move now. He said no.:blush: He will not kill anything either. He put on a pair of leather gloves and caught, drove it out into the country and let it go in the woods. I just hope none of the snakes brothers and sisters show up.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
All I can say is :w00t::blink::shocked::new_shocked::yucky: I'm petrified of snakes and even ones that are totally harmless.

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
I just found a baby copperhead snake on my back porch. The snake was only a few feet away from where my puppy was playing! We were eating outside and I turned around and saw the snake.:w00t: Wow I am scared now. I am thinking where there is one baby snake there are more. Anyone have any good ways to keep snakes away?
Hubby uses a white powder that he sprinkles on our rocks/stone in our front yard that keeps them away. I can't remember what it's called. He purchases it from our local lawn/garden store, it's not difficult to find. I'm terrified of snakes. We saw some huge ones in our front yard and it doesn't kill them, just deters them. However, the product would not be safe for your puppy. Cody, Mandy, and Josey do not have access to where he applied the powder.

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
awwh I really have no advice or suggestion on what you can do to keep the place snake-free! I hope that one you found was the one and only (no more), but I would be also worried if I were you.

This is scary! Snakes scare me! I must be honest and say that: snakes, scorpions and crocodiles are few of the creatures that I do not fancy! They seriously scare me!

Some people raise snakes as pets, but I really can't imagine myself with one. I was at a store that sell pet products a couple of weeks ago. In the corner of that store, there were snakes for sale. I didn't know that the store sell them and was not aware that they were at that corner. The second I laid my eyes on them in that corner, I jumped in fear and left the store as fast as I could. They say that these snakes are harmless, but I don't know why they still scare me!

I really hope your place will have no more snakes.

Good luck!

Kat

·
Premium Member
17,448 Posts
Please don't use the powder---I think it is for rattlesnakes anyhow & says on the box that it doesn't work for copperheads IF I remember correctly---also if there are snakes already inside the perimeter it keeps them in.
Two things to do:
1. Put boiled eggs out & the adult snakes will eat them & die--no more babies.
2. If you are in Birmingham, get a snake trap (designed by a local man for the snakes in Bosnia) & put it out---they get stuck in it & can be transplanted (or killed). It has a name something like "Cohaba"?? There is also a man who comes out to your garden for a fee & traps or kills the snakes he can find---you pay him regardless but he is good and worth the price. Look him up in the yellow pages.
Remember the copperhead is not as deadly as some snakes but has the fastest strike of all the dangerous snakes.
And yes, there are more if it was a baby! I hope this helps. sandi

1 - 13 of 13 Posts