·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Cosmo had his vet appt. this morning and all went well. He now weighs
1lb. 6oz. he only gained 5 oz. The vet mentioned something about
wondering if there was an underlying reason why he isn't growing
faster like thyroids, he said it to himself more than to me so I don't think
he believes it is a concern yet. We go back in 3 weeks for rabies shot so I will touch on the subject more then. If he is only gonna end up being a 3 pound malt then maybe this is a normal rate of growth? Either way I would like to do more
research on this and if anyone had any information or can point me to a good site
I would appreciate it. In the mean time I am going to try to stay calm and not
over react on something that could or might not be a problem.

Prayers also have great power in them and I will take as many prayers as
I can get for little Cosmo.

P.s. maybe some of you owners out there with the smaller Malts can tell me a little
more about when yours grew or what they weighed at what age??

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Nikki isn' quit that small. She is 3lb ~10oz. When I got her at 10 weeks old she was ~2lbs. She has averaged about a 2oz gain per week. I really don't think she is going to get much bigger than 4lbs.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Peanut weighed a pound at 12 weeks when I got him. He was also a 'late bloomer' as he didn't really have a growth spurt until he was almost 8 months. He seems to be steady at 6-6.5 pounds at over a year and a half. Hugs for little Cosmo
Tic was about 3 pounds at 12 weeks and he's been 7.5 pounds for a couple of months now. He's 9 months and he's probably going to grow a little more. My guys aren't that small, but just giving you my experience

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
How old is your little one now
Indy was 2.3 lbs. when we got him at 13 weeks ( our Vets scale goes by tenths of a pound) and has grown slowly over time. He is now 9 1/2 months old and as of yesterday (at the Vets.) he is 3.6 lbs. Lately he has been having a sort of growth spurt, for him any way. He stayed under 3 lbs. till he was 7 months old, which is why we waited to have him neutered until he was at least 3 lbs. The Vet really wanted to wait until he hit the 3 lb. mark. He was 3.2 lbs. at 7 months (mid August) , then when he went in to be neutered he had gained a little bit and was 3.4 lbs. (end of August) now a month after his neutering he is at 3.6
.4 more to go and he will be 4 lbs.
I don't know how long this pattern will continue, but I am hoping for awhile

I know how you feel about worrying about their weight. It's not that I care how much my little guy weighs, it's is he healthy at that weight and I always thought he was so tiny and small boned and could stand to put some weight on. He was eating well and our Vet said he was healthy, so I figured he would grow in time or not.....Time would tell
I have read so much on these boards about all the different rates that peoples Malts grow, I stopped worrying so much.
Any way, the reason I mentioned all of that is so you won't worry about your little one so much. Just make sure Cosmo is eating well and give some treats too :D Keep checking in with your Vet and most of all,give Cosmo lots of hugs
Sending hugs from Indy and I also

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments and uplifting advice. Cosmo is 14 weeks.

I don't care how much he weighs as long as he is healthy. It sounds like
some of the other Malts here stayed pretty tiny aswell for a while, I just figured
he would of had a growth spurt by now. I am still trying to search some information on thyroids and so far haven't gotten too far, but I will continue to
pursue.

Thanks again all the comments really do help.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
I cannot remember exactly how big Ty was at that age but he was not much bigger. He just turned 7 months and doesn't weigh quite 5 lbs. I do remember it seemed like the longest time before he weiged over 2 lbs. My vet got me quite concerned about his weight and the fact that he was only gaining 5-6 oz from one visit to the next.

But the bottem line was (and is) that he was eating well, sleeping well, is VERY playful and healthy. He was just neutered this week and I had a full blood panel done and absolutely everything came back perfect.

If Cosmo is eating well and acting healthy I would not worry. My Vet still tells me that Ty is too thin but Ty has food available all the time and eats like a pig, we have parasite checks done regularly. I think he is just small. He may get a growth spurt later but as long as he is healthy I think that is what matters.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh puppymom Thankyou very much, that is very reassuring. Sounds
exactly like Cosmo he only gained 5 oz. since his last vet appt. which was
3 weeks ago. He is eating good, has plenty of energy and seems overall
healthy even the vet said he seemed good, so maybe he was just making
an aloud mental note to keep an eye on it?

But I feel much better knowing your Malt was almost the same way.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Originally posted by lethalfire@Sep 30 2005, 05:11 PM
Oh puppymom Thankyou very much, that is very reassuring.  Sounds
3 weeks ago.  He is eating good, has plenty of energy and seems overall

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105145
[/QUOTE]
That's what I was saying about Indy, it took him 4 months to gain a pound
If Cosmo gained 5 oz. in 3 weeks thats much more than Indy gained at his age
We got him at 3 months and at 9 1/2 months he has gained just over 1 pound. and most of it has been in the last 2 months. Your little guy is still very young. I wouldn't worry to much at this point, but I know it's hard for a Mommy not to
Your right there are several little ones on this board and some started out little, but ended up at a good average weight

Did your Vet mention giving Cosmo Nutrical ? My Vet had us give Indy some in the beginning to help him stay healthy. I still give it to him once in awhile. It's good to keep in the house in case his sugar level gets low and he has less energy.
Cosmo is such a cutie

Edited to add:
I just wanted you to know that, I will keep Cosmo in my prayers and hope that he is a very healthy little baby
Let us know how his next check up goes

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Just pay attention to what you feed him, give him "nutrient dense" food. If you are still moistening his food buy puppy milk replacer and use that rather than water, it just adds a few more calories. Avoid treats that have fillers but not protien or nutrients. I gave Ty cooked chicken and cheese for treats rather than the dog bisquits which were mostly meal. You can also supplement with a little canned, like Hills Science diet but I really prefer to stick with all dry. I did give him Nutrical but only at night after I was absolutely sure he had eaten all he was going to, just before bed I would give him a finger full, we called it his "vitamin".

I also make sure his training treats are high in nutrition. They have such small tummies you don't want to give them any wasted calories.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by Littlemans Mom+Sep 30 2005, 05:24 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-lethalfire
@Sep 30 2005, 05:11 PM
Oh puppymom Thankyou very much, that is very reassuring.  Sounds
3 weeks ago.  He is eating good, has plenty of energy and seems overall

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105145
That's what I was saying about Indy, it took him 4 months to gain a pound
If Cosmo gained 5 oz. in 3 weeks thats much more than Indy gained at his age
We got him at 3 months and at 9 1/2 months he has gained just over 1 pound. and most of it has been in the last 2 months. Your little guy is still very young. I wouldn't worry to much at this point, but I know it's hard for a Mommy not to
Your right there are several little ones on this board and some started out little, but ended up at a good average weight

Did your Vet mention giving Cosmo Nutrical ? My Vet had us give Indy some in the beginning to help him stay healthy. I still give it to him once in awhile. It's good to keep in the house in case his sugar level gets low and he has less energy.
Cosmo is such a cutie

Edited to add:
I just wanted you to know that, I will keep Cosmo in my prayers and hope that he is a very healthy little baby
Let us know how his next check up goes

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105164
[/B][/QUOTE]

Sorry I must of either misread or didn't quite understand your post. Wow only 1 lb.
till 8 months. Ok now I know not to worry. I do have nutrical but I didn't think you
were suppose to give it to them unless they're blood was low, maybe I will start giving it to him once a day also. As far as treats I don't use them much but now that he is on hard food (Nutro) I have heard cheerios are very healthy for them.

I also once in a while give him some canned Nutro. Just again I want to thank everyone for all the advice and information. I just can't believe how great of a Forum this is.
Joe hats off to you

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
When we got Toby at 16 weeks, he was 4.75 lbs and now he is 6 lbs (almost 2 years). He barely gained weight, he just seemed to fill out and grow in length. Maybe this is similar to what Cosmo is going through.

At any rate, keep an eye on him. If you feel something isn't right, take him back to the vet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts