Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

We have a new addition in our family. We decided to name him Cotton Candy. He is 8 weeks old. As a kid I have had two cats a normal pom and a toy pom. But this is our first time as pet parents. We are very excited to have candy in our lives.

Spoiledmaltese seems like the best place to get all the information about my pup. There is a wealth of information out here and pet parents with a lot of experience. Hope to contribute as well.

Thanks
Sachin (Cotton Candy's Dad)

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Welcome, Sachin and Cotton Candy!

Reactions: CottonCandy

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
Welcome to SM Sachin and Cotton Candy. I love the picture of him giggling. He is adorable. I am looking forward to watching him grow up with us.
🐶 🐾🌻

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all!! Will continue to post pics as he grows. He got his first set of vaccines yesterday. He was dull the whole day which got us super tensed. He seems to be doing fine this morning. Hope he grows into a healthy and a happy boy :)

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Welcome!
We have lots of threads regarding vaccinations, that you might want to read.
Alot of us titer our dogs. If they show enough immunity, there is no need to vaccinate, which can cause lots of issues especially in small breed dogs. My girls have never needed another vaccination since they were a year old, fully protected via titer results.
Your baby boy is very sweet...best of luck with him.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome!
We have lots of threads regarding vaccinations, that you might want to read.
Alot of us titer our dogs.
Thanks a lot @maddysmom , I am going through the vaccination thread and there is a wealth of information. But I find it slightly risky here in India to go without vaccines. I had not heard of titering, will read through it.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Thanks a lot @maddysmom , I am going through the vaccination thread and there is a wealth of information. But I find it slightly risky here in India to go without vaccines. I had not heard of titering, will read through it.
I'm glad you are reading and learning about vaccinations! We're not saying not to vaccinate, but rather be careful how you do it. The only vaccine I give any of my dogs is rabies every 3 years because it's the law in California, and they have positive titers for parvo and distemper, so they will probably never need those again after their initial set. But it does depends on your geographic location and law.

Reactions: maddysmom

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm glad you are reading and learning about vaccinations! We're not saying not to vaccinate, but rather be careful how you do it. The only vaccine I give any of my dogs is rabies every 3 years because it's the law in California, and they have positive titers for parvo and distemper, so they will probably never need those again after their initial set. But it does depends on your geographic location and law.
Thanks for the clarification @zooeysmom. This makes a lot of sense and I have learnt something new :)

I read through titering and we will definitely explore this option for our baby.

Candy says Hi to all of you

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Hi darling Candy!

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
VERY CUTE....little fluff ball!
🐶 🐾🌻

·
Registered
115 Posts
Welcome I love seeing pictures of your new baby. He is adorable!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hello All,

Candy turned 4 months on 2nd Sep and the turn of events that occurred in the last week make us want to forget the experience and wish no pet parent has to go through.

On 26th Aug, we visited Candy's vet for a round of routine vaccination. To our dismay another pup visited the vet at the same time and who tested positive for Parvo. This really scared the hell out of our lives. We understand how dangerous and contagious parvo can be. We cursed our luck and headed back home.

On 30th Aug, Candy vomitted around 7:30am in the morning. Out came a big piece of black thingy along with it. Pulled it out and after washing found it to be a piece of cloth from his bed lining. We assumed he vomitted because he ate that piece of cloth. He vomitted again within an hour and he continued to vomit 4 times. By this time we freaked out.. Parvo was the only thing playing in our minds. Called our vet got an appointment and visited him pronto. He did not suspect Parvo..but on aur insistence tested him for Giardia and it tested negative. Doctor said if giardia is negative then parvo would also be negative. He suggested we give him IV fluids and shots for vomiting and gastric. We returned home with again Parvo playing on our minds. Candy ate a few kibbles and slept the whole night.

1st Sep morning, we were hoping he would have recovered. As soon as he woke he was a little playful and ate some kibbles as well. We were overjoyed. However the joy was short, as he puked everything he ate. He became very dull and sat at a corner of his pen. About half hour passed and he pooped. The poop was a bit smelly, for some strange reason we felt like opening it up and investigating. We found there was some amount of mucous and maroon colored item like blood. We freaked out crazy. The thoughts that crossed through our minds cannot be out in words. Only feeling that I had was of losing him. We immediately rushed to the doctor. He did a parvo test that came negative, but Candy's health had deteriorated and the doctor was panicking too. We just stopped short of blaming him for what candy was going through. The doc again administered saline, gave him shots for vomiting, gastric and a broad spectrum antibiotic. We returned home. Candys health deteriorated further and I continued to pester our vet through messages. There was nothing much we could do, we all slept.

2nd Sep 12:30am, I woke up to one of the worst unbearable stinky smell. Checked on candy and he had diarrhoea. Again as the smell sank in through our noses we got a sinking feeling in our hearts. I cleaned up all the mess amd cleanup Candy. By now he had stopped responding to our calls. He just lay down in his pen almost life less. Me and my wife could not control our emotions and we wept hard that night and could not sleep at all. We had lights on and just watched him throughout. I messaged our doc frantically and he suggested we take him to another clinic, a friend of his who treats acute cases.

2nd Sep 9:00am, we reached this new hospital. The doc did a slew of tests including giardia, parvo and corona. All turned negative..but all his symptoms were shouting Parvo. Doctor said his condition is not good. We admitted him and the line of treatment decided was that of Parvo. No water, no food for the next three days. Only IV fluids and about 6 shots 3 times a day. He had lost 15% of his body weight.

3rd Sep 9:00am, doctor checked on him and mentioned he is responding to the treatment and his weight loss had stopped. She said his condition seems stable. We had a huge relief but we knew there was a huge battle to fight and win. It was very painful to see him lying at one corner without the energy to even move his head or look up or sit up.

4th Sep, there was improvement in his health and the doctor discharged him that morning. But we had to visit the vet for few more shots. We got him back home and started on recovery diet. We would have to take him back if he puked but glad he did not throw up. it was over 48hours since he had pooped and that was another scare. The doc said if he doesn't poop by 5th Sep morning, you better get him back so that we can get an x-ray and check if there are any obstructions. I forgot to mention, on 2nd Sep they also did an x-ray to check for foreign body. There were none.

5th Sep 8:00am, we were all awake and eagerly waiting for him to poop. And he blessed us with his poop. The joy of seeing him poop was tremendous. I was okay to clean his poop again and again a 1000 times over. We called both our vets and informed them. By now he had also started being playful. Not his usual self but, walking around Barking and wanting to play with his toys.

5th Sep 7:30pm, now as I pen this.. candy is playing with my daughter. Me and my wife are so very relieved and exhausted from what transpired in the last week. We are so glad he is recovering and plan to give him all the love possible in this world. Sorry for such a long post but not many understand pet love..felt this would be the place where I could share my feelings and be understood as well. We however have not been able to figure out what caused the vomiting and diarrhoea.

Loads of love, hugs, kisses and puppy bites from Candy

·
Premium Member
17,488 Posts
Oh my! Let us pray that he (Candy) continues to improve day by day. I am sorry you & he, had to go through such pain.

·
Registered
Kobe, 3 months, Maltese
112 Posts
Oh my goodness. I cant imagine going through something like this. I’m so sorry you had to go through this. We all hope for you that Candy‘s health continues to improve and you never have to go through anything like that again.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts