Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Zoe ate a lot of her edible Nylabone Bacon Bone last night and then a huge dinner and she was burping a lot. We figured she just had a tummy ache so we just let her rest and be mellow. But right around bedtime she started doing this coughing/gagging thing. I'm not sure if this is related to the tummy ache or not but it sounds like a cough and then it looks like she is gagging a little. She continued to do this maybe 10 times throughout the day today although she is acting completely normal. She is eating regularly and sleeping normally and playing a lot like she usually does.
Does this sound like reverse sneezing or should I take her to the vet to get checked out? I don't think that it is a collapsed trachea because she doesn't seem to have trouble breathing and I don't know how she could possibly have a collapsed trachea because we never put her in collars.
Does anyone else's baby ever cough like this?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...
-Brittany and Zoe

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just read this thing on Canine Cough (Kennel Cough) and she went to the vet about 2 weeks ago (ample time for her to develop these symptoms) and now I'm thinking that maybe she caught this from one of the dogs there?
It says it is HIGHLY contageous....
Has anyone's had this?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm definitely calling the vet first thing in the morning.
Now I have myself convinced that it is Kennel Cough. Zoe hasn't had all of her vaccinations (I think she has like four more to go) so I'm a little worried....

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Good luck.
I have read that the nylabones...even the edible are supposed to be ok. But I do see small pieces as Brinkley eats them. They might get caught in their little throats for a bit, but I would think as they eat and drink, it would help them go down.

I would also call the vet, just to be safe.
Hope all is well. Brinkley and I send hugs and kisses...She is sure a doll!!!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Caesar has had this happen before. He has had all of his shots, but this summer at my parent's he would cough/gag a lot. I think it was hair in his throat....I don't know but there was hair in his poop. He hasn't had this problem since then and I haven't noticed any hair. The thing was he would try to eat anything off their carpet and I think that was how he must have picked up the hair?...Not sure.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Lexi has only coughed a couple of times since I got her. <_< She seems to like to eat my hair. I have seen the hair in her poop
. So when she does cough it is more of hair ball cough. :D

Let us know what you find out!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
hopefully its not kennel cough. i know that sprite, ellie, AND EVEN gruffi do that reverse sneezing. i tell them "stop it" like loud, and i guess that startles them and they'll stop---most of the time. i heard rubbing their throats help. i've done it, but im not too sure if it helps that much. tell us what the vet says.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Tuffy had an episode like that, he was sneezing and coughing like crazy so I took him to the vet and they said he had allergies. They gave him some medication and he snapped out of it in about a week.

I'm glad you are calling the vet, when in doubt you know. Hope everything turns out fine, keep us posted. *hugs to Zoe*

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for your replies!
I called the vet and he said that if the cough worsens or is accompanied by other symptoms (like sluggishness, not eating or drinking, not going to the bathroom regularly) that I should bring her in. Fortunately the coughing has really been subsiding (hopefully it will stop completely). He said that it could either be a mild case of Kennel Cough (which could go away by itself) or allergies....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts