Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excuse me of my ignorance... but i have not researched this topic on the internet or books.. because i know the pictures and stories I will see/hear. I could NEVER bare it!!!
This might sound stupid but... are puppy mills banned? and if not.. why not!? If we know these puppy mills are there and this is what is happening to these poor dogs... why do they continue to exist? Are they still around just to supply the pet stores? I would rather someone explains it to me then me looking at these depressing web sites... I just can not bare to see these sites. I do not want to be ignorant to this topic... i know it exist and i wish i could do something more to help stop these mills from operating.

I was at the king of prussia mall in PA sat night and I saw a Maltese in there.. my bf wanted to take him out the cage and see him. I told him I cant bare to do that. This poor little guy was soo depressed in this cage! I knew from Kodie's personality that when I give him attention and then leave him alone, he gets really upset. I didnt want to give this poor baby attention, only to leave him there in his cage again. I usually dont go into pet stores for this main reason... it depresses me to no end. I wanted to rescue this baby but i knew that would only make this pet store buy another dog to put in his place.
-_-

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Dec 6 2004, 10:55 AM
I wanted to rescue this baby but i knew that would only make this pet store buy another dog to put in his place.
-_-
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=20534
[/QUOTE]

If everyone was as wise as you, there would be no more puppy mills.

There is no one "fits all" definition of a puppy mill, but here are a few to give you a general idea:

A breeder who produces puppies hand over fist with no breeding program, little attention to puppy placement, and poor health and socialization practices. A puppy mill may or may not be dirty but it is usually overcrowded and the dogs may be neglected or abused because the breeder can't properly handle as many dogs as he has.

Popular usage of the label "Puppy Mill" has it as a large facility, where dogs are crammed into cages, fed little, uncared for, with little or no human contact, and forced to breed heat cycle after heat cycle, while an uncaring owner reaps profits.

Puppy mills are facilities which are licensed by the United States Department of Agriculture that mass-produce puppies for pet stores throughout the country and to emerging foreign markets. At present a USDA license is required for anyone with four or more "intact bitches" although federal officials are considering raising the number of animals held to as many as 60 without a USDA license. Puppies are subjected to horrific conditions from birth and during transport from breeder, to broker, to pet stores hundreds of miles from where their life began. The breeding "stock" suffers a constant misery living in small cramped cages often soiled with their own excrement.

If you have any compassion at all for the animals bred and raised under these miserable conditions, stay out of pet stores. Each puppy purchased from a pet store serves an industry with no conscience and virtually no enforcement by USDA.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Kodie, you did the right, brave thing AND you educated your boyfriend too!

LadysMom has the info we should craft into an email to include the prisonersofgreed.org website and all of us pass it along to all our email friends and as them to do the same.

How quickly we could blanket the population with an education piece about puppymills and raise awareness of petstores. Especially those who say "we don't buy from puppymills" but buy from brokers who buy from puppymills!

I still see the image of that dog on Animal Planet whose lower jaw was nothing but a little flap of flesh because she'd lost her teeth and subsequently her jawbone was absorbed into her body to serve her need for calcium.
Add tears to that "smiley".

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So your telling me that a puppy mill is licensed from the government??? They allow this to happen... WHY? I might sound nieve but i'm sorry... I just dont understand how someone could be sooo blind to whats happening! I say lets right letters to the President of the USA! He likes animals... they just bought his wife a new puppy! I looked at the web site posted on another thread about rescuses..and there is a flyer you can print and give out to people! I think i'm gonna do that! Is it illegal to do that outside of the mall?? If it is illegal.. where is it legal to hand these flyers out?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Dec 6 2004, 04:36 PM
So your telling me that a puppy mill is licensed from the government???  They allow this to happen... WHY?  I might sound nieve but i'm sorry... I just dont understand how someone could be sooo blind to whats happening!  I say lets right letters to the President of the USA!  He likes animals... they just bought his wife a new puppy!  I looked at the web site posted on another thread about rescuses..and there is a flyer you can print and give out to people!  I think i'm gonna do that!  Is it illegal to do that outside of the mall??  If it is illegal.. where is it legal to hand these flyers out?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=20613
[/QUOTE]

Puppy mills have USDA licenses. They are inspected at least once a year. There are a lot of things that the goverment always that isn't right. So I can't tell you for sure why they allow it. I've heard that it is very hard to prosecute the owners. The laws are also not strict enought so most times all they get is a slap on the wrists. So what really needs to be done is to have stricter laws that way there is something to enforce.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Also, doesn't a puppymill generally sell to brokers rather than one puppy at a time to the "consumer"? I believe the USDA license requirement only is required for breeders who sell to brokers, pet stores, and the like.

However, Jennifer Siliski of Hollybelle Maltese supposedly only sold to consumers and she ran a puppymill.

So maybe the rule of thumb is that anyone who sells to brokers and pet stores is a puppymill, but a puppymill can also be a breeder who sells to the consumer ??

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well... i have been printing out handouts about puppy mills and to tell people not to buy from a petstore. I am going to post some of these flyers and make copies... my parents own a store and they are going to hang up flyers and sit out the flyers for people to take. I'm really trying here! -_-
I came across 2 maltese in a puppy mill... very upsetting pics..
maltese
another Maltese

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
awww.. those pics are depressing... that poor little girl. I am gald to see her doing better.
This is horrible. Now i know why i do not look at this stuff on the web! Makes me upset.
-_-

1 - 10 of 10 Posts