Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday, around 7PM, I was in the kitchen. Suddenly ALL the dogs start barking and running to the slider. I can see, from the kitchen, something is out there. I start walking towards the slider, and a coyote lunged at the glass, attempting to get my dogs. I run to the slider and pound on it, to scare him away. He then lunged at me. His teeth were bared, and his head was flying. He finally ran off.

I was so upset, I was shaking like a leaf. I called my neighbors to warn them. I could tell, by her tone, that one gal just didn't believe me, as it seems odd to have a coyote running around our condo complex. In any case, I contacted animal control.

Well this morning, just before leaving for work, the stupid jerk is back on my patio!!! Lunging at the slider again. He quickly ran off this time. A few minutes later, my neighbor, who didn't believe me, called. She's screaming, "There's a flippin' coyote out there!!"

Pray my "slider" holds up until animal control catches this bugger ~ lol

Keep a close on your little ones.

·
Registered
8,608 Posts
:shocked: WOW a COYOTE - that sounds a bit scary . I had a fox in my surburban backyard once - thankfully it was a bigger whimp than me :) Sarah

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
OH MY! Is there anything you can put up along the slider in case he breaks it? Holy Cow! I'm freaked out just hearing about it!

Stay safe!

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
:shocked: that's no good! he must be extremely hungry to risk coming back to your place.... :mellow:

animal control better get their bodies out there ASAP to remove that nuisance.

·
Premium Member
16,777 Posts
Yikes. I hope they catch him soon, before he becomes more than just a nuisance. Why not station Stevie Ray down there? His screaming would scare just about anyone... :HistericalSmiley:

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
That is SO scary!! they are becoming a suburban nuisance. I bet that one was rabid to be acting like that. We have them around here, but it's very wooded--they won't "attack" unless something is on the edge of the woods or really easily accessible. I've never heard of one lunging at a glass door! He has to be rabid! Scary!! I hope they get him soon!!

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:shocked: that's no good! he must be extremely hungry to risk coming back to your place.... :mellow:[/B]

I'm thinking the soiled puppy pads, I keep on the patio next to the laundry room, are attracting him. He must have been on my patio last Thursday night, as well. It had rained and the pads were all over the patio with big paw prints on them. A coyote didn't cross my mind at the time. I've been keeping the pads in the laundry room now, but that's off the patio, and maybe he can still smell them.

I'm sure he's hungry, as he is very thin. I must say, it was weird having a coyote attack, with only a piece of glass between us.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yikes. I hope they catch him soon, before he becomes more than just a nuisance. Why not station Stevie Ray down there? His screaming would scare just about anyone... :HistericalSmiley:[/B]

:HistericalSmiley: :HistericalSmiley: Stevie Ray would clear out the entire neighborhood!!

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I know Deb .. I saw two 3 days ago just wandering around the subdivision.

About 3 weeks ago, my husband put Max out in the back yard - we have those scenic glass fences seperating our home with the canyon next door :shocked:

Max hates going in the back yard, even when we are all swimming and having fun outside - he comes out briefly .. then slowly walks inside.

We were getting ready to go out - my husband bought him back in - he was barely there 3 minutes alone ... :new_shocked:

I went outside before everyone to the front of the house waiting for the rest .. what is there on my driveway ??? yep a horrible ugly coyottee ... not moving just staring at me .. I told him go away - I don't think he got it ??? ... kept staring for about 5 minutes until my husband came out .. he growled at him and he slowly slipped back into the canyon. Our front is not fences - anything can walk up from the canyon - it's just the way it is. That is how they got my first Malt .. (RIP) ...

I read in the paper that they are coming into the city after escaping the fires and they are hungry .. I once complained about them but they told me that we bought a house on "their" original territory and we have to learn to live with them .. not when they are attacking family pets :smpullhair:

We have bunnies in the front of our house and sometimes all I see is the "fluff" left behind ... :smcry:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thank god everyone is OK.

My mom's friend lost her maltese to a hawk or some other flying predator. Poor little maltese, they probably look like yummy rabbits to predators. :( Add another reason I won't let my little guy out unsupervised.

Best wishes.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is SO scary!! they are becoming a suburban nuisance. I bet that one was rabid to be acting like that. We have them around here, but it's very wooded--they won't "attack" unless something is on the edge of the woods or really easily accessible. I've never heard of one lunging at a glass door! He has to be rabid! Scary!! I hope they get him soon!![/B]

I'm thinking he didn't know glass was there, and with 5 dogs suddenly barking their heads off, he may have felt under attack, then I come running up, and he wanted to rip my throat off, too.

Darn my "excellent window cleaning" skills :smrofl: :smrofl:

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know Deb .. I saw two 3 days ago just wandering around the subdivision.

About 3 weeks ago, my husband put Max out in the back yard - we have those scenic glass fences seperating our home with the canyon next door :shocked:

Max hates going in the back yard, even when we are all swimming and having fun outside - he comes out briefly .. then slowly walks inside.

We were getting ready to go out - my husband bought him back in - he was barely there 3 minutes alone ... :new_shocked:

I went outside before everyone to the front of the house waiting for the rest .. what is there on my driveway ??? yep a horrible ugly coyottee ... not moving just staring at me .. I told him go away - I don't think he got it ??? ... kept staring for about 5 minutes until my husband came out .. he growled at him and he slowly slipped back into the canyon. Our front is not fences - anything can walk up from the canyon - it's just the way it is. That is how they got my first Malt .. (RIP) ...

I read in the paper that they are coming into the city after escaping the fires and they are hungry .. I once complained about them but they told me that we bought a house on "their" original territory and we have to learn to live with them .. not when they are attacking family pets :smpullhair:

We have bunnies in the front of our house and sometimes all I see is the "fluff" left behind ... :smcry:[/B]

Isn't that terrible. There's a lake running through our complex, this attracts the duckies, every now and again I'll find a little duck foot, wing, beak, etc. It always brings tears to my eyes.

I'm so sorry about your first Maltese. A co-worker lost his kitty to a coyote.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
I would be very concerned.. even if not rabid ( which I believe it is unusual for them to be out and about in daylight) or desparate and either case is extremely dangerous!
Do you have some covering to close the sliders off so he can't see in to your babies?.. that might help?
we had one in our yard awhile back.. can't recall if it was Missy or Naddie and I know the pooch, whichever one it was was aware of it being there before I did. I had her ona leash and she just stopped very ridged and started growling and then I spotted it peeking our from behind the shed whe have behind our gazebo. I yelled at it to 'shoo' it away and it didn't move! BUT DID start to growl and show its teeth at me....HOLY CRAP!!! I hurried and picked the pooch up and ran inside. However I didn't want that thing thinking it had scared me off and keep hanging around so I gathered up my courage and stood at the door to see if it was still there...it was...just staring at me...HOLY CRAP!! LOL Well I flew the door open and ran yelling, screaming and flailing my arms at it.... it looked at me as if to say 'HOLY CRAP! .. she's nuts!
LOL and ran off!
But seriously Deb,... I know you love animals and you are so kind BUT do be careful!!!

BTW... The coyote never attempted to come to the glass slider....hmmm probably never saw it LOL ... my cleaning skills apparently aren't as good as yours!!! LOL

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would be very concerned.. even if not rabid ( which I believe it is unusual for them to be out and about in daylight) or desparate and either case is extremely dangerous!
Do you have some covering to close the sliders off so he can't see in to your babies?.. that might help?
we had one in our yard awhile back.. can't recall if it was Missy or Naddie and I know the pooch, whichever one it was was aware of it being there before I did. I had her ona leash and she just stopped very ridged and started growling and then I spotted it peeking our from behind the shed whe have behind our gazebo. I yelled at it to 'shoo' it away and it didn't move! BUT DID start to growl and show its teeth at me....HOLY CRAP!!! I hurried and picked the pooch up and ran inside. However I didn't want that thing thinking it had scared me off and keep hanging around so I gathered up my courage and stood at the door to see if it was still there...it was...just staring at me...HOLY CRAP!! LOL Well I flew the door open and ran yelling, screaming and flailing my arms at it.... it looked at me as if to say 'HOLY CRAP! .. she's nuts!
LOL and ran off!
But seriously Deb,... I know you love animals and you are so kind BUT do be careful!!!

BTW... The coyote never attempted to come to the glass slider....hmmm probably never saw it LOL ... my cleaning skills apparently aren't as good as yours!!! LOL[/B]

:HistericalSmiley: :HistericalSmiley: :HistericalSmiley: :HistericalSmiley: I need you at my house!!

I only have a curtain covering half my slider. Billy chewed on, clawed on, and peed on the other half when he was a puppy. My patio is secluded, and I kept them open all the time, so haven't been in a hurry to replace them. I'll do that this week though.

·
Premium Member
6,772 Posts
Wow - that's scary - very unusual single coyote human interaction if I may say so - so strange. Be careful he doesn't sound quite right. just my opinion
I'm so glad the crew are pee pad users!!

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Deb that sends chills up my spine. We have coyotes here but they've never been that bold. Might not be a bad idea for me to carry a stick while I'm walking the dogs.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Deb that sends chills up my spine. We have coyotes here but they've never been that bold. Might not be a bad idea for me to carry a stick while I'm walking the dogs.[/B]

Oh yes, carry a stick. My neighbor brought a baseball bat to keep on my patio.

After witnessing this crazy coyote, I will, more than likely, take the bat when I take the garbage out.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
That is so scary!! We had coyotes in Arizona and I saw them all the time from far away, but could never picture one up close like that. Its unbelievable how it lunged into your glass slider...crazy!! Were the babies barking at it? Ha, as I am typing I am debating whether to call it a "he" or "she" or "it" LOL.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts