Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nightly routine with teh Gizmo which consists of me laying down in bed, watching t.v while he runs back and fourth on the bed, plays, etc. Well, on thursday night, while he got "all up in my face" I started to hear a cracking sound (much like when you crack your fingers, elbows, etc.) coming from his back left foot. I pretty much ignored it because I thought maybe it was a cramp or something. Then, on saturday I started hearing it again, constantly, when he walks, runs, etc! So, I put him on the bed with me and started feeling his legs. He didn't yelp, cry, nothing but when I pulled his back left foot part up ( Did that make sense?) and then down, I MADE it crack and if you continue doing that, it'll continue to crack but it doesn't bother him at all. I only did it twice because if it's something I should be concerned about, I didn't wanna make it worse. SHOULD I be concerned? Maybe, a visit to the vet is in need? It's monday morning and yup, it's still cracking! The constant cracking gives me goosebumps. :new_Eyecrazy: Advice?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, I would say definately check with your vet. How old is your baby? I experienced the same sound with my Mikey. I brought him home at about 16 weeks. A short time later I noticed the clicking/cracking sound from his back legs. I asked the vet about it and she said it could be the luxating patella but to just wait and see how it goes. She said it could get worse, go away, or stay the same. He was still so young. He is now 6 months old and I realized the other day that the sound has gone. So far so good. Hopefully yours will turn out good also.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by karenbabi@Apr 25 2005, 09:36 AM
I agree with everyone's reply and a trip to the vet would be beneficial. My Babi started having that clicking sound last year and once the vet had it checked, she was diagnosed with luxating patella as well.
  It really depends on the grading the vet will give, from a 1 (mild) to a 4 (worst or requires surgery).  Babi was diagnosed as a Grade 2, so she's been on a Glucosamine and Chondroiton supplement to repair and strengthen her joints.  The clicking sound for her doesn't seem to bother her.  I hope everything works out for Gizmo!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56158
[/QUOTE]

To: anyone who read about Brinkley's leg injury...

Although he seems 100% better, do you think it would hurt to put him on some of the Glucosamine/Chondroiton to make sure?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you ALL. Gizmo's 14 weeks old.
I called the vet today and told them what was going on and they said to bring him in so I made an appointment for tomorrow. I'll update as soon as I know what the heck is up?!?!
I read that luxating patella is like the kneecap being dislocated, riiiiiiight? Well, the sound isn't coming from the knee though, atleast I don't call it a knee. Lol. It's like the fooooot part that then start to connect to the leg. Can it still be that? Hmmm. THey said they might take x-rays or give him some meds. for his joints. We'll seeeeeee! THankies, once again. Umm, It just cracked. Ekkkkk.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
ellie had that for a while when she was a puppy---and it was her knee cracking. and the vet said that she'd grow out of it. and she did. but now she's cracking again---but the vet had said that it looks like she doesnt need surgery.

definitely talk to your vet though...everyones different.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts