Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...I'll try to make this short but get the story across...

I currently work part time (5 hours/4 days a week) and I go to school (4 hours/2 nights a week). In the fall I will be student teaching which is full time. Right now Bella stays in her crate when I leave the apartment. She has never been left out and I really feel safe with her in the crate. Because I am gone for 5 hours at the most I think she is plenty comfortable in her small crate. It looks like this:

I am thinking of getting a large wire crate that has a plastice bottom for her to have more room. I looked at x-pens and big crates and I think I like the big crates better b/c they hold their shape better. Does anyone have a crate like this:

I know this is for big dogs...but I want to have room to put some food and water and stuff without her turning it all over.
Any suggestions???

I have several months and I am just starting to look now.

Thanks!!!
Nicolle

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Ok, so maybe I'm a lunatic, but we just bought a child's playpen for Beastie (who we bring home today for the first time!!!!!!). The playpen gives lots of room, has see-through mesh on all sides and is open on top, has a wet-proof pad on the bottom (I've got a wee-wee pad in one corner). I will put his weighted and skid-proof food and water dishes in another corner, and put some toys in. The play pen can be wheeled from room to room, and breaks down to be carried for transport. I looked for the largest playpen I could find. They're all about the same dimensions. Finally got it at Toys 'R Us.

I am planning to bring him to work with me on most days, but wanted something large for him when he does have to stay home, or just needs to be in his "crate".

Not sure if I did the right thing, getting that vs. a real crate.

Nicholle - I'll let you know how this works out for him (and us).

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Yes we have that exact crate. It is definantely big enough for Caesar. We put a blanket on the bottom, a water bowl that hangs on the wall of hte crate, food, treats, chew toys, squeaky toys...and I think thats it. He is in there pretty much 3 days a week. (My 2 days of classes and one day of clinical). We put the crate on our bed and have the tv on for him. We have had good luck with it.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
While I don't work, I am gone for long chunks of time...we use a cabana (vari kennel crate) and a play yard for our puppy. When I'm gone, she's in the cabana with the door closed. She uses her play yard as her space and hasn't had an accident in it in about a month. When she can go two months with no accident, we'll leave with her in the pen and the cabana door open. I feel it's very safe for her and pleanty big enough. We have a mat for the bottom that is water proof and it velcroes to the sides. It keeps it shape just fine. If I were gone for 8 hours, I would probably put her in the cabana with the door closed. I do have a water bottle for the side. I would recommend if you go with the larger crate, try to get a water dish and food dish that attach to the crate so that your baby cannot knock it over while you're away. You certainly are wise to begin thinking about how to deal with this now. You'll have lots of time to get her used to her new house! Good luck.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Originally posted by Carol Ann@Jan 29 2005, 10:06 AM
Ok, so maybe I'm a lunatic, but we just bought a child's playpen for Beastie (who we bring home today for the first time!!!!!!). The playpen gives lots of room, has see-through mesh on all sides and is open on top, has a wet-proof pad on the bottom (I've got a wee-wee pad in one corner). I will put his weighted and skid-proof food and water dishes in another corner, and put some toys in. The play pen can be wheeled from room to room, and breaks down to be carried for transport. I looked for the largest playpen I could find. They're all about the same dimensions. Finally got it at Toys 'R Us.

I am planning to bring him to work with me on most days, but wanted something large for him when he does have to stay home, or just needs to be in his "crate".

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=32228
[/QUOTE]
Carol Ann, I'd be a bit careful with the child's play pen for your puppy. The puppy might be able to chew through the mesh sides of the play yard. I also think that you'll do well to have a small crate for him to use as his "den" regardless of whether you close the door or not. It's a great way to transport him to doctor's visits, in car rides, etc. He'll feel that's his safe place.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The playpen sounds like a wonderful idea. I have a small plastic airline type carrier that I could even set inside the playpen with the door open. What a perfect solution. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
This is what I use:
http://www.ferretstore.com/mr-00261.html
I have two of them - one for Sassy and one for Sadie. I also have the expansion panels and the big mat, but that is too big. I could probably both of leave them in the big one when I'm gone but I don't because Sadie won't leave Sassy alone and I'm afraid that the two of them might get figure out how to get out. Anyway....

I put the little small crate that they sleep in at night inside the playpen and open the door. I also have a little lambswool mat and some toys in there. I don't work and the longest that they've been left alone is 5 hours. When we were gone for that long I put a wee pad folded in half on the side away from the crate. No one used the pad but thought I should have a backup. The floor mat of this pen comes up on the sides and helps it hold its shape. It can be set up or taken down in about 2 minutes. I LOVE it and highly recommend it.

My dogs weigh about 4 pounds. I don't recall how large your dog is and whether not she is a climber. My dogs haven't ever given any indication that they were trying to get out. I always give them a kong with liver paste when I leave the house. That is the ONLY time that they get that treat so they seem to look forward to getting into the pen and getting their treat. They don't fuss when I leave.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
We also have a pet carrier with mesh sides and a "door" that we can leave open (inside the playpen or wherever) to function as his den. If a real crate is also a necessity, please let me know. I want to do whatever is best for him.

Thanks for any advise!!

I LOVE it here!!!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Sylphide has had full run of a three story puppyproofed house since we got her and has never been confined or restricted to an area. I just couldn't imagine keeping her confined for hours at a time.

She never gets into anything and always uses her wee wee pads (and we are talking about one bratty, hyper puppy here with lots of "Maltitude"). I just have to ask: why crate at all? If you need to restrict to an area, why not gate instead?

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I have the same play yard that Ms. Magnolia has. I highly recommend it. We have a second home, and that yard has travelled with us several times now. It is a breeze to set up. When we arrive home, first thing we do is let her out of the cabana. She immediately runs to the mat and sits in the middle of it until the sides are up. She knows it's her special place. I think these creatures are so smart! I didn't order the larger size, but I may get the larger mat and expansion panels as she gets older. Right now, she's 20 weeks (5 months) and it's pleanty big. She has her food, water, toys, cabana, and blankets in there.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by SylphidesMom@Jan 29 2005, 01:01 PM
Sylphide has had full run of a three story puppyproofed house since we got her and has never been confined or restricted to an area.  I just couldn't imagine keeping her confined for hours at a time. 

She never gets into anything and always uses her wee wee pads (and we are talking about one bratty, hyper puppy here with lots of "Maltitude").  I just have to ask:  why crate at all?  If you need to restrict to an area, why not gate instead?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=32259
[/QUOTE]

I live in a rented apartment on the 3rd floor, so I don't want to let her have the run of the apt b/c
1. It's rented and any damage she does I have to pay for.
2. Since it is a 3rd floor walk-up if the maintence people had to come in for any reason (you never know in an apartment) she could run out and it is a 3 story drop off.

I love using the crate b/c I feel she is safe when I am gone. I am thinking of gradually expanding her space but I don't want to let her have too much in this apt for the above reasons. I also feel the crate is much the same as putting a baby in a baby bed when they are young. They do not have the skills or knowledge to deal with being in a big bed (or the whole house for a puppy) and I don't want to be the one responsible for setting her up to hurt herself. I have tried gating her in the bathroom and she cried the whole time whereas she happily goes in her crate and goes to sleep. I am very careful to take her on a long walk and give her plenty of time to play/eat/pee/poop/etc before putting her in the crate. She is really tired when she goes in and just sleeps the whole time. Also she sleeps with me at night so the only time she is in the crate is during the day.

Nicolle

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Jan 29 2005, 11:56 AM
This is what I use:
http://www.ferretstore.com/mr-00261.html
I have two of them - one for Sassy and one for Sadie.  I also have the expansion panels and the big mat, but that is too big.  I could probably both of leave them in the big one when I'm gone but I don't because Sadie won't leave Sassy alone and I'm afraid that the two of them might get figure out how to get out.  Anyway....

I put the little small crate that they sleep in at night inside the playpen and open the door.  I also have a little lambswool mat and some toys in there.  I don't work and the longest that they've been left alone is 5 hours.  When we were gone for that long I put a wee pad folded in half on the side away from the crate.  No one used the pad but thought I should have a backup.  The floor mat of this pen comes up on the sides and helps it hold its shape.  It can be set up or taken down in about 2 minutes.  I LOVE it and highly recommend it. 

My dogs weigh about 4 pounds.  I don't recall how large your dog is and whether not she is a climber.  My dogs haven't ever given any indication that they were trying to get out.  I always give them a kong with liver paste when I leave the house.  That is the ONLY time that they get that treat so they seem to look forward to getting into the pen and getting their treat.  They don't fuss when I leave.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=32250
[/QUOTE]

Bella is just under 4lbs too but she is 7.5 months so she is still growing. She has never been a climber or jumper...she just hangs out on the floor
I looked at this pen and I really like it...my only concern is: I live in a one bedroom apartment and the open space is very limited. I don't know if this would be able to fit. I'll have to take some measurements and check out my different options.

Thanks for sharing!
Nicolle

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I was worried about that too, but it's about 4' across. Because it is not round, we have one of the "walls" up against a wall and it fits great in the corner of my kitchen. You can recofigure this pen to a square shape, however, the mat won't work as it is octagon shaped.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Originally posted by Nicolle916+Jan 29 2005, 03:41 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-SylphidesMom
@Jan 29 2005, 01:01 PM
Sylphide has had full run of a three story puppyproofed house since we got her and has never been confined or restricted to an area.  I just couldn't imagine keeping her confined for hours at a time. 

She never gets into anything and always uses her wee wee pads (and we are talking about one bratty, hyper puppy here with lots of "Maltitude").  I just have to ask:  why crate at all?  If you need to restrict to an area, why not gate instead?
I live in a rented apartment on the 3rd floor, so I don't want to let her have the run of the apt b/c
2. Since it is a 3rd floor walk-up if the maintence people had to come in for any reason (you never know in an apartment) she could run out and it is a 3 story drop off.

I love using the crate b/c I feel she is safe when I am gone. I am thinking of gradually expanding her space but I don't want to let her have too much in this apt for the above reasons. I also feel the crate is much the same as putting a baby in a baby bed when they are young. They do not have the skills or knowledge to deal with being in a big bed (or the whole house for a puppy) and I don't want to be the one responsible for setting her up to hurt herself. I have tried gating her in the bathroom and she cried the whole time whereas she happily goes in her crate and goes to sleep. I am very careful to take her on a long walk and give her plenty of time to play/eat/pee/poop/etc before putting her in the crate. She is really tired when she goes in and just sleeps the whole time. Also she sleeps with me at night so the only time she is in the crate is during the day.

Nicolle

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=32265
[/B][/QUOTE]

That's a great answer, Nicolle, and I can see how this makes sense for you. Our cirumstances and choices are different since we have three adults at home with flexed schedules...and don't ever have to worry about people coming into the house without our presence.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I use a large wire crate for both of mine. They are only in it when I'm not home. But Catcher does sleep in his. I have a very large puppy playpen for Catcher when I can't watch him when I'm home but I don't trust him in it when I'm not here. Crating works out wonderfully for me. The one I use is large enough for them to stand and stretch in, etc. I have a crate pad on the bottom of each.

They just cannot be trusted on their own. There is no room that is safe for them as they eat wood, carpet.... anything. When my first Maltese, Rosebud, was about three I was able to block off several rooms and she was fine. Hopefully K&C will get to that point. In the meantime, for their protection and my sanity, they use a crate. Here is a photo of them in their crates:

Size: 30" front to back; 21" wide and 23" tall

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Carol Ann@Jan 29 2005, 10:06 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=32228
[/QUOTE]

Just be careful.... puppies can be terribly destructive... he might just eat that playpen up!!
I tried weighted bowls in Catcher's playpen and he was always putting his feet in the water and making a mess everywhere. I use a bowl that hangs from his playpen now. There are a lot of threads on SM about playpens....
Here is one with playpen info but also lots of info on things needed for a new puppy:
http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1134&hl=

·
Registered
894 Posts
We went with the crate, Sisse had been in a playpen but started "climbing" the mesh and was caught in the act several times. She is not allowed in one anymore as they are afraid she will fall from the top and hurt herself. She will be crated at home when we are away. Just my thoughts.....

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Nicolle916+Jan 29 2005, 01:41 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-SylphidesMom
@Jan 29 2005, 01:01 PM

Nicolle

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=32265
[/B][/QUOTE]

I also live on the 3rd floor of an apartment building. I have a crate and an exercise pen. The crate is in the pen. At night Lexi sleeps in the crate with the door closed (otherwise she barks). While I'm at work Lexi in in the pen with the crate door open. I got a piece of out door carpet for under the pen. The pen holds its shape very good.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Nicolle916@Jan 29 2005, 09:35 AM
Ok...I'll try to make this short but get the story across...

I currently work part time (5 hours/4 days a week) and I go to school (4 hours/2 nights a week).  In the fall I will be student teaching which is full time.  Right now Bella stays in her crate when I leave the apartment.  She has never been left out and I really feel safe with her in the crate.  Because I am gone for 5 hours at the most I think she is plenty comfortable in her small crate.  It looks like this:

I am thinking of getting a large wire crate that has a plastice bottom for her to have more room.  I looked at x-pens and big crates and I think I like the big crates better b/c they hold their shape better.  Does anyone have a crate like this:

I know this is for big dogs...but I want to have room to put some food and water and stuff without her turning it all over.
Any suggestions???

I have several months and I am just starting to look now.

Thanks!!!
Nicolle

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=32227
[/QUOTE]

That is what we got for Brinkley! I got mine on ebay for about 40.00 or so with shipping. I forget the dimensions...but it is the size for like a lab or that size dog. It holds a small cat litter pan for a small wee pad, a small bed, and a small basket of toys, with room left over. I love it...although he doesn't go in it very often, I know if he has too, that he is comfortable.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts