Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that have crates, what size is yours? I have a 24 L x 18 W x 21 H" for Lexi. At the time that was the smallest metal one that PetSmart carried in the store. They now carry the 22 L x 13W x 16 H". I was wondering which size I should get for the new puppy? I know way to early to even think about buying it but I'm trying to price check so I know how much the stuff I need to get is going to cost.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I have the one that Lexi has for Peanut. Everything that I have read about crate sizes says that the dog should only be able to stand up, turn around and stretch out in it. Based on that, the crate I have is too big for Peanut, but I've never had a problem with it. I'm gonna get the new pup a crate the same size as Peanut's. I already have the divider panel to section off the right amount of space for the puppy. I've found that the smaller sized crates don't always come with the divider. I'm not sure of the exact measurments, but I saw a smaller one (maybe the one you are talking about) at the pet store and it looked just too small. Just my thoughts though.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by littlepeanut@Mar 15 2005, 11:54 AM
I have the one that Lexi has for Peanut.  Everything that I have read about crate sizes says that the dog should only be able to stand up, turn around and stretch out in it.  Based on that, the crate I have is too big for Peanut, but I've never had a problem with it.  I'm gonna get the new pup a crate the same size as Peanut's.  I already have the divider panel to section off the right amount of space for the puppy.  I've found that the smaller sized crates don't always come with the divider.  I'm not sure of the exact measurments, but I saw a smaller one (maybe the one you are talking about) at the pet store and it looked just too small.  Just my thoughts though.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=43536
[/QUOTE]

Actually all of the midwest crates (except the one I have, had to buy it separate) come with a divider. I'm thinking I might get the smaller one because it would be easier to take to the vets or what not. Lexi's is a pain to get in an out of the car without putting it down. I've seen someone with the smaller one and it was a nice size.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Do you use your crate for transporting her? I keep mine in their large crates 30" x 21 -ish and then use the Celleti and Sturdibag for transporting them...... I consider their crates to be "permanently" situated.... That way I can buy the sturdiest and largest that will fit in my room....

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Oh, I didn't know you used the crate in the car...I assumed it was just for home. I just use one of those Sherpa bags, looks like a regular duffle bag, for the vet. The vet has an easier time opening and closing the Sherpa, one time she couldn't get Peanut out of the Celltei...he wedged himself into the corner
Also they have those plastic crates that would be a cheap easier alternative for the car. I don't know, I'm just rambling...

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Kodie has the smallest metal wired crate petsmart had instock. Its still really big for kodie... and when he was a baby it was super huge! haha... I guess you can buy a cat crate or travel crate for a puppy that is soooo tiny... but i didnt.. i ended up not even training Kodie to be in the crate. He was just too tiny... I trained him in a pen and just placed the crate in there as a little dog house for him...haha.. Soo... sizing for a crate should really depend on the pups size... I heard your not supposed to buy it sooo big that they can poo on the one side and sleep on the other.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only time I use the crate in the car is when we travel.

I just know Lexi's crate is huge for her. I'm hoping that eventually they will share the crate. But just in case I wanted to get another one, plus I want to crate train.

Maybe when it closer to the time to buy one. I'll get the smaller one and take it home to see if Lexi fits comfortably. If so I could keep that one. If not I could return it and get the one that Lexi has.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts