Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just the tought of seeing Spike or lulu behind bars at the pet shop just tears my heart.. im not here to judge those who do.. but i couldnt bear to see them inside....
what are some benefits of using it? im trying to understand more why people do it.. since i have NEVER and WILL never DO IT!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
yeah, i think the only reason you have a bad view about crates is because people dont know how to use them right. dogsshouldnt be in there for a long period of time and a crate shouldn't be used as punishment.

i met a dog trainer that had her dogs crate trained. it was so funny because when the dog gets sleepy, he'll go in his crate and they tied a little rope toy on the gate of it---and he'll close it. lol. and he expects everyone to leave him alone when he's in there. its cute. ^_^

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Martini uses her crate as a little "home" for herself. She will even close the door if Milo is bugging her... She loves her crate. If I am cooking in the kitchen (where I keep her crate) she will crawl to the back and just hang out. I have started to let her have the kitchen when both my roommate and I are at work. We gate it off and their two crates are in there. For the most part both of them play in their seperate crates. They each "store" their favorite toys in there too.
I don't think it is cruel, but I also don't use it for punishment.

--WOW Just noticed all my errors..had to do a little editing..

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Lexi is crate trained. She loves her crate. When I'm at home she is usually following me around, but will run in the crate to get a drink every so often. She prefers to sleep in her crate. I'm trying to get her to sleep with me but she is very restless on the bed. She waking me up around 2-3AM and wants to go back into her crate. As soon as I put her in there she's out. She never complains about being in there.

I tried placing the crate in my bathroom and then putting a gate in the doorway but Lexi dug a hole in my bathroom wall while I was at work. So unfortunatly for now she has to stay in the crate while I'm at work. I have a pretty good size crate so she has plenty of room. I think she sleeps the entire time though.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I, also, use crates and love them. I never use them as punishment... especially since I don't ever punish them anyway.... only positive reinforcement.

Anyway, they love their crates. I, like Lexi's Mom with Lexi, was trying to get Catcher to sleep with Kallie and me but he prefers his crate.

When I go to work I tell them, "Mommy's going to work, get in your bed" and they'll go trotting off to their crates. They are never in there more than 5 hours and on most days it is only 4. When I get home they both have been sleeping and are not even freaking out to get out of the crates.

The crate keeps them safe. There is just too much they could get in to here. Even if I locked them in a room, Catcher would eat the woodwork!

I get the impression that they feel safe and comfortable in their crates. I think when we say we don't like crates that perhaps we are forgetting that dogs are not humans. A crate (or den) is a natural environment for a dog.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Kaley@Oct 27 2004, 11:38 AM
just the tought of seeing Spike or lulu behind bars at the pet shop just tears my heart.. im not here to judge those who do.. but i couldnt bear to see them inside....
what are some benefits of using it? im trying to understand more why people do it.. since i have NEVER and WILL never DO IT!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=13450
[/QUOTE]

Kaley, in thinking about what you are saying..... in a pet shop the dog is in the "crate" all day 24/7. This is different than crating a dog for a few hours. And the crates at a pet store are usually dirty and yukky and not cozy at all. Kallie has a huge (big dog size) wire crate with lots of pillows and blankets inside. Catcher has a smaller one right now since I am still potty training him and in a large crate he might be tempted to "go potty". When he is older, he'll get a huge one, too.

Anyway, to each his own........ for my babies... crating is a blessing for them...and me!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Brinkley is not crate trained...didn't try it...but I am not against it. He has the kitchen...which has now been expanded to the living room and den most of the time. He has been really good lately. He has a cozy house that he goes to when he wants to be left alone...and sometimes he goes inside the cat tower...
...this usually starts fights...

I agree that it is def. a choice...but it is fine if used correctly.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
When we got Jolie the Bichon nearly 10 years ago we were amazed at how many of the books recommended crate training. I don't work so there was never an issue of her being left long periods of time in the crate. We decided to give it a try and after having used it successfully I would never have another dog without using a crate. We haven't shut Jolie's crate door in years, but she spends hours each day in there. It is her retreat. We're working with Sadie with the crate now. She's fine in there all night and is getting to where she runs into the crate when she wants a nap. I agree with all the others who emphasized that the crate was used for the dog's safety, as a training tool, and NEVER as punishment. I think that maybe the key to success is starting the dogs in there very early so they don't see it as restrictive.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
i tired leaving jong-ee's crate in my room but she never uses it so i leave the crate in my car trunk

jongee sleeps with my on my bed (or she might think its her bed)
and usually when she sees me getting ready to leave she just walks up the steps i made for her and goes on the bed and lays down with a sad expression..

when i come back home, most of the time she doesnt even greet me at the door <_<

she just stays on the bed (sleeping on top of my clothes) and waits for me to come into the room and i greet her while shes jumping up and down on the bed

i guess she likes the bed than a crate..

but when i went on my plane trip with jongee, jongee kept staying inside the carrier..guess she felt safe inside there coz of the werid airport environment..

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I also use the crate when I'm travelling. I put it up in the backseat of my car and Lexi stays in there while I'm driving. That way I don't have to worry about her getting hurt if I have to stop suddenly. Or from her causing me to get in an accident. She sleeps most of the trip.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Crate training plays on a dog's natural instinct to be a "den" animal. A crate should be his special "safe" place, a place where he voluntarily goes when he's tired or just wants to be alone and undisturbed. It's his room. Used properly, a crate is a great training device that provides a lot of security for your dog.

Most experts recommend starting a dog with a just a few minutes in his crate, then gradually building the time up. When a dog is older, many of us take the doors off the crate so the dog can go in and out at will.

Crates should never be used as punishment. Then they really are cruel. It is also cruel to lock a puppy in a crate for 10 hours a day while you are at work. Of course she'll hate her crate if it is used that way.

·
Registered
994 Posts
From the day i got maxi he would not go in the crate and im not into the crate training thing at all now my neighbor he has the 2 sister cockapoos and he crate trains..The first night i had maxi he cried when i put him in there so i never did again , than the breeder guy told me to put his food in it and that would get him to go in and maxi wouldnt so that was that
he didnt mind the carry bag he liked it when we went out now he likes me to carry him so he can see everything he is nosey!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Caesar goes in a crate while we are both gone. He even walks into it himself, we no longer have to put him in it, he sees his treats go in and he goes inside sits down and starts eating his treats and playing with his toys. We have a blanket in the bottom for him, a water bowl that connects to the wall, food, toys and treats and we leave the tv on for him and leave the crate sitting on the bed. I think he doesnt seem to mind it very much but we make it comfortable for him, not just a bare cold crate.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I didn't crate train Tuffy mostly because he was already 80% trained to papers so I kinda felt it might hinder his progress. Sometimes I wish I had crate trained him just because there's no way I can put him in a crate under any circumstances or he'll cry like he's being tortured. But as to the cruelness, I don't see it at all.. most dogs like the feel of being enclosed and having their own personal space so to me a crate seems like a natural thing for a dog. JMHO.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Zoe would only cry when we put her in her crate so we ended up not using it but I definitely see the benifits.

I actually just had to post because Tuffy's signature made my day! Everyone in the room I'm in just got a huge kick out if it....Good work!

Happy Halloween :D

·
Registered
447 Posts
I too used to think the crate method was too harsh. My Shih-Poo never liked the crate, so I didn't use it. Brit'ny loves her crate. She never cries when she is put into it, but now she just uses it herself. IF she is bored or sleepy while we are still being active, she goes into her crate with her blankies pillows and toys, and goes to sleep. If she feels threatened, scared, or if there is too much noise she also goes into her crate.

Dogs are den animals so most of them like crates actually. My first dog did not so I trained him differently.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i didnt mean to be rude if i sounded like that im sorry.. it just lulu and spike are free to run everywhere in the house... and we like it like that i dont see a reason why put them in a cage.,.. if it works for you great.. we are very lucky that there is someone at home all the time.. maybe they stay alone 2% of the time.. and they mostly sleep.. as we left a camara once to see what they did...

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Originally posted by Kaley@Oct 28 2004, 09:29 AM
imaybe they stay alone 2% of the time.. and they mostly sleep.. as we left a camara once to see what they did...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=13667
[/QUOTE]

I have always wanted to do that.........

1 - 20 of 40 Posts