Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is important that we keep our home as toxin-free as possible so that our little fluffs can thrive. Some things that may not seem toxic to us may cause allergies in a tiny Maltese.

There are online lists of poisonous plants and foods, and we have some sticky threads on this forum, too.

But there are things that we can do in our home to reduce inhalation allergies and stress on our dog's lungs.

There is a difference between a product being fragrance-free and unscented. Fragrance-free means that the product contains a fragrance-masking chemical so that you don't smell anything. Unscented means that the product does not contain scent.

So when choosing cleaning and washing products, it is better to seek out and buy unscented products whenever possible, as most scents are from synthetic chemicals, unless they say 100% essential oil on the label. Try to buy products that use natural cleansers instead of harsh chemicals, which can be very rough on a little dog's lungs.

Please consider eliminating scented candles, air fresheners, or potpourri as 99% of these items that smell so good contain chemicals that can be irritants to a dog's lungs and cause allergies. (And sinus issues in humans.) Instead of scenting the air, open the windows and get some fresh air inside your home. Unfortunately, our perfumes and colognes also contain inhalation toxins. Google "toxic ingredients in perfumes," and you'll see what I mean.

Be choosy when buying toys for your dog. Some toys might contain harmful dyes, paints, and toxic materials. Do not trust that these things are inspected or regulated just because they are for sale in a shop. One of my favorite companies is West Paw Design, because all of their toys, beds, crate mats, sweaters, etc. are made in Montana, and are non-toxic.

I hope this helps keep your dog happy and healthy.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Amen sister! One of my daughters has asthma so I have been making all my cleaners for awhile. Amazing what you can make with vinegar, water, baking soda, and essential oils!! We got a swiffer a month ago and used the little trial bottle... I can't tell you how over powering the scent was to me! After going so long without using cleaning products with perfumes, it was aweful! I can't imagine what our little fuzzies go through being so close to the floor.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use vinegar, baking soda, and peroxide for cleaning. Cleans very well, and no worries about toxins.

I use the unscented Seventh Generation and Ecover products for other things, like laundry and dishwasher detergent.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Great info... my friend just saw my Swiffer wet jet (which I've been using to clean up potty accidents) and told me they aren't good (the stuff that sprays out). I had no idea...

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I clean with essential oils. Especially spearamint essential oil mixed with plain water in a spray bottle. Smells like chewing gum all the time in my home.
My floors I use vinegar and water. A few weeks ago I bought an orchard scented room spray at Fruits and Passion and I ended up returning it. The smell was so strong the dog kept sneezing. I DO NOT use any candles or plug in air fresheners. Natural methods are the best and they do clean well too!
Thanks Susan for starting this topic !:thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts