Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to surprise my bf and make him something to hang in his music studio... probably a picture. Is it hard to cross stitch? I never did it before. Anyone have any advice?
If it isnt too difficult... does anyone have any web sites that have any patterns with a music theme? any guitars?

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
its not hard..but can take a long time...for my hubby for our anniversary i found blue prints of guitars and framed them...they are really cool...i found them on ebay..i dont see ne right now..heres a cool poster poster...still looking

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
nah, it's not tough, but like Lady M said...it can be time consuming. I did counted cross stitch instead of stamped too! I miss doing it but I really can't focus w/ 4 kids saying "moooooom" every 5 mins.

·
Registered
493 Posts
AGREED! Lots of time, but not at all hard!

Here's what you can do to get a pattern.... trace or draw a basic outline of what you want to make a pic of... then get either some grid paper (or make your own on the computer) with grids 2-3mm square... trace the drawing onto it and voila! :D

As for using darker and lighter colours (ie darker blue and lighter blue for shading purposes)... if you take the picture of what you are making in when you purchase the cottons, you can match them... (you can also outline darker and lighter patches when you do the basic outline so you can count across and put them in...

Another tip... I know that it says to use the whole string... but I actually separate each one and use only two strands out of the string each time. I find that using the whole one makes it fairly thick and harder to work with - and I don't think it turns out as nice!

If you have a bit of an artists hand, you can even do pics of people - using a photograph!

I hope I'm making sense... hard to explain!!! LOL

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I have been doing it for years...not hard but time consuming. You would be very surprised at how long it takes to do. And I agree with Sunshine, seperate the string...looks nicer.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
oh wow, I've not created my own image b4! I have always used double/triple thread according to directions...never a whole thing! :eek:

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I must confessed that I am absolutely addicted to counted cross stitch! I always have a project going and boy am I popular at Christmas when I give samplers as gifts! I have also done Maltese cross stitch.

It's not hard, but you have to be a crafty, detail type person to enjoy it, I think.

Here's the link to my favorite online store. Click on search and enter "guitar" or even "music". I found a book of "one nighter" patterns by Jeanette Crews that has 38 musical instruments that might be fun for you to try:

http://www.stitchncountryinc.com/

I've posted this link before, but for those of you who do cross stitch, check out this free pattern for a Maltese angel (they are calling her a Bichon, though) It's is beautiful made up.

Scroll down about halfway - she's March:

http://www.vsccs.com/charts/FreeCharts.html

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone for your advice! It's SOOO HELPFUL!!
I will probably give it a try! What do I have to lose.

I JUST LOVE SM!

Originally posted by LadysMom@Jan 13 2005, 08:35 AM
I must confessed that I am absolutely addicted to counted cross stitch! I always have a project going and boy am I popular at Christmas when I give samplers as gifts!  I have also done Maltese cross stitch.

It's not hard, but you have to be a crafty, detail type person to enjoy it, I think.

Here's the link to my favorite online store. Click on search and enter "guitar" or even "music". I found a book of "one nighter" patterns by Jeanette Crews that has 38 musical instruments that might be fun for you to try:

Okay... i went to the web site.. i saw a few i liked after I searched music. They are real cheep only about $8 for one... I have a few stupid questions to ask you...
What am i buying when i purchase something on that web site... is it a kit? a pattern? thread? or is it the picture already made (haha)?
I'm totally NEW to this... sorry

Here are some examples of one of the ones i liked...
What is this
they do not give any info on this one

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Jan 13 2005, 07:59 AM
Thank you everyone for your advice!  It's SOOO HELPFUL!! 
  I will probably give it a try!  What do I have to lose. 

I JUST LOVE SM!

Originally posted by LadysMom@Jan 13 2005, 08:35 AM
I must confessed that I am absolutely addicted to counted cross stitch! I always have a project going and boy am I popular at Christmas when I give samplers as gifts!  I have also done Maltese cross stitch.

Okay... i went to the web site.. i saw a few i liked after I searched music. They are real cheep only about $8 for one... I have a few stupid questions to ask you...
What am i buying when i purchase something on that web site... is it a kit? a pattern? thread? or is it the picture already made (haha)?
I'm totally NEW to this... sorry

Here is an example of one of the ones i liked...
What is this
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=29444

[/QUOTE]

I pulled down the price thingy and it appears you have to buy the "chart" (directions) for 8$ and that includes the cute charms, and they are offering you the fabric for 9$ , frame for 33$ (you can find a frame at a Hobby Lobby for TONS cheaper)...I can't find if it comes w/ the thread but I imagine not since it isn't including the fabric. Usually "kits" include the fabric and thread. Thread is CHEAP and can be purchased at Wal Mart, craft store or Michaels...

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Counted cross stitch does not have the pattern on the material. the material is white and blank and you have a piece of paper that has the pattern. The pattern is full of different symbols, each being a different color.
The other cross stitch (not sure what its called, but its not called counted) does have the pattern on the material as well as the piece of paper with the pattern and symbols. I perfer counted myself. It is a matter of opinion though. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I think it's counted cross stitch. You are given a diagram ...I fold mine in half and half again the other way to find the middle, do the same on the fabric, ...that's my starting point. Stamped cross stitch has the pic already on it. Some people prefer that b/c you don't have to strain your eyes for the pattern as much but I am like caesar's mom, I prefer counted. Whatever you do, put masking tape on the outer edges to keep fraying of the fabric to a minimum. I wish we lived closer, I'd come over and show ya!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
alright.. i'm looking at a web site explaining how to cross stitch. I am alittle confused on "counts"..
14 count adia .. does that mean... 14 X's in a row per inch?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
How do you know how big to make the x's?
Here is the web site i am looking at...
siteThe picture of the heart with 3 different counts... could someone explain that? are they just making the x's bigger?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
If you have a Michaels or AC Moore near you, you can get everything you need there for a lot less.

You will get a pattern to follow. It will also come with a list of the floss colors you need (25 cents each at AC Moore). You can get a package of 14 count Aida cloth for a couple of dollars there, too.

I'll see if I can find some good basic how to instructions for you to download.

It really is fun and addictive if you like doing that type of thing!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by Triste@Jan 13 2005, 10:36 AM
I think it's counted cross stitch. You are given a diagram ...I fold mine in half and half again the other way to find the middle, do the same on the fabric, ...that's my starting point. Stamped cross stitch has the pic already on it. Some people prefer that b/c you don't have to strain your eyes for the pattern as much but I am like caesar's mom, I prefer counted.  Whatever you do, put masking tape on the outer edges to keep fraying of the fabric to a minimum. I wish we lived closer, I'd come over and show ya!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=29462
[/QUOTE]
I wish u could too!
I really wanna do this! I thought it would be nice to actually "make" something for my bf.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Oh I see, the larger the count of your fabric, the tinier your x's appear. 18ct is the largest I think I've worked with. If you go to the store and look at 14ct Aida for example...the holes where your needle would go are much larger appearing than an 18ct. I love the higher count clothes, it just looks nicer but it can be a little more tedious.

edited to add, I would go to wal mart or craft store and buy a small sample kit. They are fairly cheap. Take a stab at it. It'll give you more confidence. The music one you had linked here looked fairly simple...designs can be very intense.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts