Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to surprise my bf and make him something to hang in his music studio... probably a picture. Is it hard to cross stitch? I never did it before. Anyone have any advice?
If it isnt too difficult... does anyone have any web sites that have any patterns with a music theme? any guitars?

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone for your advice! It's SOOO HELPFUL!!
I will probably give it a try! What do I have to lose.

I JUST LOVE SM!

Originally posted by LadysMom@Jan 13 2005, 08:35 AM
I must confessed that I am absolutely addicted to counted cross stitch! I always have a project going and boy am I popular at Christmas when I give samplers as gifts!  I have also done Maltese cross stitch.

It's not hard, but you have to be a crafty, detail type person to enjoy it, I think.

Here's the link to my favorite online store. Click on search and enter "guitar" or even "music". I found a book of "one nighter" patterns by Jeanette Crews that has 38 musical instruments that might be fun for you to try:

http://www.stitchncountryinc.com/
Okay... i went to the web site.. i saw a few i liked after I searched music. They are real cheep only about $8 for one... I have a few stupid questions to ask you...
What am i buying when i purchase something on that web site... is it a kit? a pattern? thread? or is it the picture already made (haha)?
I'm totally NEW to this... sorry

Here are some examples of one of the ones i liked...
What is this
they do not give any info on this one

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
alright.. i'm looking at a web site explaining how to cross stitch. I am alittle confused on "counts"..
14 count adia .. does that mean... 14 X's in a row per inch?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
How do you know how big to make the x's?
Here is the web site i am looking at...
siteThe picture of the heart with 3 different counts... could someone explain that? are they just making the x's bigger?

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by Triste@Jan 13 2005, 10:36 AM
I think it's counted cross stitch. You are given a diagram ...I fold mine in half and half again the other way to find the middle, do the same on the fabric, ...that's my starting point. Stamped cross stitch has the pic already on it. Some people prefer that b/c you don't have to strain your eyes for the pattern as much but I am like caesar's mom, I prefer counted.  Whatever you do, put masking tape on the outer edges to keep fraying of the fabric to a minimum. I wish we lived closer, I'd come over and show ya!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=29462
[/QUOTE]
I wish u could too!
I really wanna do this! I thought it would be nice to actually "make" something for my bf.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Do you have a web site that shows you all the types of stitches?
I see in some patterns there is a a french knot, overcast edges... I have no idea how to do those.

nevermind.. hahahha... Ladysmom is way ahead of me!! Thanx!

One quick question... do the patterns always tell you which stitch to use??

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I was looking around for patterns... and i went to acmoore on my lunch break... and i think my bf would like this one because he drew a picture like that in high school when he had to illustrate about himself... plus it has that old look to it... he likes that sometimes. I tried clicking to buy it and it doesnt get added to my chart... so i'm assuming its sold out. I looked everywhere and i can only find sites that give you a listing of stores that sell it but you have to drive to get it... its too far from my house. I am looking for an online store that sells it... so anyone that finds it let me know!!!

Would like to find this one

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Originally posted by LadysMom@Jan 13 2005, 03:41 PM
Kodies Mom, I have no problem clicking "add to cart" to order it. Is that what you tried?

At the top of the page is a link to email Laura directly if you still have a problem. I have found her to be very helpful. I'm sure she can send it to you.

FYI, her shipping is minimal, basically what it costs her to send something, I think. With the high price of gas, it's cheaper to order from her than drive all over town.
I have ordered as little as one skein of overdyed floss from her!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=29542
[/QUOTE]
THANKS! I will try it again at home when i get done work... i'm being paranoid! I'm going to order a few things... maybe even that MALTESE one!!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I ordered a few things tonight...
- I ordered the music lover one that I posted about earlier (FannyMay, I agree, I will probably NOT use green as the color or the heart..haha)
- I ordered the maltese (which will probably be on of the last ones I do... it does look hard)
- I ordered this pic of the NYC skyline...NYC ( love nyc)
- An angel.. I'm going to make this one for my mother... she loves angels angel (it looks hard... oh well.. haha)
- I also ordered this IMPOSSIBLE one... haha.. i couldnt resist! It looks sooo neat! Its NYC NYC (the hard one)

I know i'm prob over my head already... but i'm going to do the easy ones first. I have the whole rest of my life to finish the hard ones...hahah.. when i get an interest in something i always go over board..haha..

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I'm glad i'm encouraging others now!!! I do think everyone gave me such WONDERFUL advice! THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Now i cant wait to get started!

FannyMay.. I agree.. NYC is gonna be tough.. hahahah.. but that just makes me have more motivation! :D

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Originally posted by Kodie@Jan 13 2005, 09:17 PM
I ordered a few things tonight...
- I ordered the music lover one that I posted about earlier (FannyMay, I agree, I will probably NOT use green as the color or the heart..haha)
- I ordered the maltese (which will probably be on of the last ones I do... it does look hard)
- I ordered this pic of the NYC skyline...NYC ( love nyc)
- An angel.. I'm going to make this one for my mother... she loves angels angel (it looks hard... oh well.. haha)
- I also ordered this IMPOSSIBLE one... haha.. i couldnt resist!  It looks sooo neat!  Its NYC NYC (the hard one)
I just got an email from the web site and they only had the one nyc pic instock... so everything else i ordered i will not be getting.....
Anyone that finds any of those i tried getting pleeeeez let me know. I really needed that music lover one...
They said they need to update their web site. This stinks cause they had the best selection on that web site.
I dunno what i'm gonna do now...

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
haha... thanks for filling me in on how difficult the maltese pic is!! haha.. I havent ordered it yet! (Thanks FannyMay for finding those sites!
I'm still deciding which to order..
)
I got soooo anxious to start at least something for practice, i went to ACmoore and bought a pansy picture for my mom. The pattern is stamped on it... i dunno if i'm wild about that... but i guess for practice it can be helpful. I have noticed that I will do one section GREAT and then the next section not too hot..
Maybe its because I'm not used to it... but i havent even cross-stitched yet. It said to do the silk stitch first... which is a lot of green leaves. You should see me... i'm all into this!!
I cant wait to see the finished product!
Ohh.. and i have called around to different shops that are about 30mins from my house and this one store is going to try ordering in Music Lover for me... i'll have to wait and see if they can get it for me... i really hope so... and then i found a friend of family that always goes in that area so he can pick it up for me if they ever get it in. I hope this is a good sign!! I need to have it all finished and framed by the end of July!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Thanks for the link! I tried ordering the same items on that web site... we will see if i get an email saying they are out of stock again...haha... CROSS your fingers!

I also got a book of sunflowers... (my bf's mother loves those)
when you click new items... there is a guitar on there! (I had to get that too!
)

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Well... I have recieved all my patterns except the music lover one now... and i have a few questions...
What is the difference from Adia and 32 count white linen (2 over 2)?
I was also looking around for DMC floss... I was wondering where is the cheepest and what is the Cheepest price you can buy them for? I saw one web site selling it for $.33.... is that cheep because i will be buying A LOT of them to get myself started?

Ladysmom... I just reread what you said you have to do when making the maltese cross stitch picture... you said something about blending filament.... what exactly is that? The Reflections picture uses that also. (I'm not going to start the Reflections one until I do some more practice ones but I do want to attempt it... it looks easy for the most part just HARD when your doing buildings... the whole sky is simple!)

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Well I have started a project. I bought a kit at ACmoore to practice before I recieved my patterns. Its a picture of pansys for my mother. It will probably take me a while to do.. but its helping me learn what i can and cant do.

I asked about the linen because I never saw what it looks like and my one pattern tells you to use it. Sooo... does that mean there are NO squares on linen? How do you know where to count? Here is a question... can I use adia when the pattern calls for linen?

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I was wondering if anyone could help explain alittle bit more about different flosses. I went to acmoore last night and saw there were different types of DMC floss. What is pearl cotton dmc? When would i use it?

I do not know much about floss at all... an info about the different types of floss available and when to use it would be great! Also what does the different types of floss do to the picture?

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
WOW
there is a LOT of detail! I bet it would look wonderful though.
I cant seem to find a pattern for a relative that passed away. A memorial or something really nice... I guess people dont do that? Maybe i'm weird?!
Cause i would also like to do a dog memorial for my other dog that passed away.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.