Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Do you have a web site that shows you all the types of stitches?
I see in some patterns there is a a french knot, overcast edges... I have no idea how to do those.

nevermind.. hahahha... Ladysmom is way ahead of me!! Thanx!

One quick question... do the patterns always tell you which stitch to use??

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Jan 13 2005, 09:55 AM
Do you have a web site that shows you all the types of stitches?
I see in some patterns there is a a french knot, overcast edges... I have no idea how to do those.

nevermind.. hahahha... Ladysmom is way ahead of me!!  Thanx! 

One quick question... do the patterns always tell you which stitch to use??
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=29471
[/QUOTE]

yes it does tell you which stitch to use...don't worry! Usually instructions will include any different stitch instructions

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
This thread is so interesting. I love to needlepoint, myself. I tried cross stitch and just couldnt' follow the pictured directions. It wasn't counted cross stitch, it was a kit and a small one at that but I just got so frustrated I never finished it. The count was just too small and my eyesight not good enough.

This kind of needlework is very time intensive but sooooo satisfying when you produce a needlework of art!
I have several books that help with different stitches and when to use them and how to use them, etc. I find them inspiring when I get bogged down.

LadysMom: Do you use only one kind of thread on cross-stitch? Needlepoint has some pretty and fuzzy like kitten fur yarns that I'm thinking of using for a Maltese needlepoint. Could I make a needlepoint pattern from a picture of Pico like you do for cross stitch?

·
Registered
17,634 Posts
Kodies Mom:

http://www.stitchncountryinc.com/index.cfm carries it. It's made by Pegasus Originals so you can search by designer or just "maltese".

Pico's Mom:

Janine (Alex's Mom) is our needlepoint expert here, I think. She would probably know more about patterns for needlework. I know you can get a canvas printed from a photograph to work in needlepoint. That would be wonderful to do of Pico, wouldn't it?

As far as the threads/floss go, they used to be all the same. Recently they have come out with hand dyed floss with variations in color which add a lot of interest and are especially great for doing samplers.

I started with needlepoint many years ago, then a friend introduced me to counted cross stitch. I've been hooked ever since!

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I was looking around for patterns... and i went to acmoore on my lunch break... and i think my bf would like this one because he drew a picture like that in high school when he had to illustrate about himself... plus it has that old look to it... he likes that sometimes. I tried clicking to buy it and it doesnt get added to my chart... so i'm assuming its sold out. I looked everywhere and i can only find sites that give you a listing of stores that sell it but you have to drive to get it... its too far from my house. I am looking for an online store that sells it... so anyone that finds it let me know!!!

Would like to find this one

·
Registered
17,634 Posts
Kodies Mom, I have no problem clicking "add to cart" to order it. Is that what you tried?

At the top of the page is a link to email Laura directly if you still have a problem. I have found her to be very helpful. I'm sure she can send it to you.

FYI, her shipping is minimal, basically what it costs her to send something, I think. With the high price of gas, it's cheaper to order from her than drive all over town.
I have ordered as little as one skein of overdyed floss from her!

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Originally posted by LadysMom@Jan 13 2005, 03:41 PM
Kodies Mom, I have no problem clicking "add to cart" to order it. Is that what you tried?

At the top of the page is a link to email Laura directly if you still have a problem. I have found her to be very helpful. I'm sure she can send it to you.

FYI, her shipping is minimal, basically what it costs her to send something, I think. With the high price of gas, it's cheaper to order from her than drive all over town.
I have ordered as little as one skein of overdyed floss from her!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=29542
[/QUOTE]
THANKS! I will try it again at home when i get done work... i'm being paranoid! I'm going to order a few things... maybe even that MALTESE one!!

·
Registered
993 Posts
That Maltese one looks great but also very hard. If you get it, I wouldn't start with it. It will just frustrate you and turn you off to cross stitching. That music lover one looks easy.
The thing that I love abotu cross stitch is that you don't have to use the colors that they tell you too. If you want to make a red or a blue heart instead of green then you just get red or blue thread. I also like that you can change other things too. My first cross stitch was when I was younger and it was a dog in a dog house and the dog house had a name on it. I didn't like the name so I changed it. I haven't done cross stitch in years since my eyes have been getting so bad I can't see well enough to count.
For a first time I would suggest getting a smaller count cloth so the holes are not so small that you can't see them.

Wow! This one looks really, really hard! http://www.stitchncountryinc.com/detail.cfm?ID=15320

Edit to say: I just found this site that has free cross stitch patterns. I don't knwo if they are any good because I haven't looked through them yet. I just typed free cross stitch patterns into google and it found it. I am sure there are more.
http://www.freepatternsonline.com/xspatterns2.htm

·
Registered
13,098 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Jan 13 2005, 04:19 PM
I was looking around for patterns... and i went to acmoore on my lunch break... and i think my bf would like this one because he drew a picture like that in high school when he had to illustrate about himself... plus it has that old look to it... he likes that sometimes.  I tried clicking to buy it and it doesnt get added to my chart... so i'm assuming its sold out.  I looked everywhere and i can only find sites that give you a listing of stores that sell it but you have to drive to get it... its too far from my house.  I am looking for an online store that sells it... so anyone that finds it let me know!!!

Would like to find this one
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=29538
[/QUOTE]

Hi.. I just clicked on the "add to cart" under the pattern and it was added.. maybe you clicked the 'my cart" above the pattern by mistake?
terry and missy

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I ordered a few things tonight...
- I ordered the music lover one that I posted about earlier (FannyMay, I agree, I will probably NOT use green as the color or the heart..haha)
- I ordered the maltese (which will probably be on of the last ones I do... it does look hard)
- I ordered this pic of the NYC skyline...NYC ( love nyc)
- An angel.. I'm going to make this one for my mother... she loves angels angel (it looks hard... oh well.. haha)
- I also ordered this IMPOSSIBLE one... haha.. i couldnt resist! It looks sooo neat! Its NYC NYC (the hard one)

I know i'm prob over my head already... but i'm going to do the easy ones first. I have the whole rest of my life to finish the hard ones...hahah.. when i get an interest in something i always go over board..haha..

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
im not into angels but that one is really pretty. man i hope u like it...otherwise u will have a lot of unfinished projects sitting around lol...good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
Nice thread (no pun intended)! Cross stitch was my salvation 26 years ago when my husband started to dental school. I made cheap gifts for everyone we knew for the whole 4 years cause we were too poor to buy stuff. I did it for about 10 years but pretty much lost interest.

I think a small kit is the way to go. Some other advice: always cross in the same direction - right over left or left over right. Don't mix them up, tho, cause your stuff won't look as good. Don't tie knots on the back of the work. The best thing would be to have someone show you how to get started. Its really easy but a friend or person at a craft store might be a big help. Using 14 or larger aida will be a big help to you to get started. Later you'll want to use the smaller sizes to do finer work such as ornaments, etc. Always use good quality thread such as DMC. Don't try to match from the cheap stuff. After you've tried a kit, get a book and buy the correct colors. The idea about making your own patterns is great - but might not be the best for a beginner. Tape the edges or maybe use fray check - otherwise your piece will ravel out. I always used a hoop to hold the work nice and taut. Not everyone did this, but I liked to have the hoop to hold to. Wash your hands when you start - it'll keep your work from getting really dirty. Follow the directions for finishing the work. Wetting it will help the holes draw up and it'll look better.

Cross stitch is a great hobby and can be very addicting. Hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
993 Posts
msmagnolia that is all great advice! Everything that is important that you don't really think about. I haven't done it in so long but I remember my mom always telling me to wash my hands first! I also remember the rings, they were a lifesaver!
You can get big rings or small rings (for the smaller pieces).
My mom used to buy things like bibs and cross stitch on them. You can get stuff like that in craft stores in the cross stitch section. The bibs she would do had a section with small holes in it to cross stitch in. Once you are in the cross stitch section you will understand what I am talking about lol!

Edit to say: Kodie, you really got yourself in deep! The Maltese looks easy now, compared to the others you got. You are probably going to want to do the Maltese before the Angel and NYC lol.

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I'm glad i'm encouraging others now!!! I do think everyone gave me such WONDERFUL advice! THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Now i cant wait to get started!

FannyMay.. I agree.. NYC is gonna be tough.. hahahah.. but that just makes me have more motivation! :D

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Originally posted by Kodie@Jan 13 2005, 09:17 PM
I ordered a few things tonight...
- I ordered the music lover one that I posted about earlier (FannyMay, I agree, I will probably NOT use green as the color or the heart..haha)
- I ordered the maltese (which will probably be on of the last ones I do... it does look hard)
- I ordered this pic of the NYC skyline...NYC ( love nyc)
- An angel.. I'm going to make this one for my mother... she loves angels angel (it looks hard... oh well.. haha)
- I also ordered this IMPOSSIBLE one... haha.. i couldnt resist!  It looks sooo neat!  Its NYC NYC (the hard one)
I just got an email from the web site and they only had the one nyc pic instock... so everything else i ordered i will not be getting.....
Anyone that finds any of those i tried getting pleeeeez let me know. I really needed that music lover one...
They said they need to update their web site. This stinks cause they had the best selection on that web site.
I dunno what i'm gonna do now...

·
Registered
993 Posts
21 - 40 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.