Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Cute lil hair bows

5K views 47 replies 22 participants last post by  foX42O 
#1 ·
Where do you guys get these???? I have 2 here that need 'em (Boy havanese and my Nikki baby)

Oh Dear I may be nuts but we MUST have some!

Thanks!

Robyn
and the kids!

#6 ·
Originally posted by Quincymom@Jan 11 2005, 12:22 PM
My favorite dog bows come from:

http://www.dogform.com/

She has an after Christmas sale going on now. Her bows are beautiful and addictive, so watch out!
Quincymom
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=28993
[/QUOTE]

I agree...Dogform has the best bows!!! And... they are addicting. I don't know who has more hair accessories, my daughters or my maltese!!!!

#10 ·
I think some people use both elastics at once and some just use one in case the other breaks, so it's your choice.

As far as being crooked goes, I find that if the bows have the small elastics, they don't move around as much.

Many of the sellers like both Molly Marie and Val offer a barrette as an option. I do a regular topknot with the papers, then barrette the bow right underneath it if the bow I'm using has a barrette.

#11 ·
I see both Digby and Lady's photos are on the Mollymaries page. Very cute!

Why do they have 3 elastics attached? Do you all use paper when making the top knots? I feel very unsure about this whole process. I put the girls' hair up in the bands from https://www.laineeltd.com/cgi-bin/laineeltd...ds?xCcdvpbe;;48

Their hair isn't really long enough for me to do much more than have the one top knot with the hair sticking up and out of the top of the band. I do cut the bands out at night and brush the hair. I have special scissors for that so I don't pull hair out. Sadie's stay in pretty good, but poor Sassy's is a mess. That's because Sadie pulls at Sassy's topknot until it is all sideways. I wish I could put bitter apple on the top knot to keep Sadie from fooling with it, but I'm afraid it would yellow the hair. Today I'm trying a bow in Sassy's hair to see if it makes it harder for Sadie to get a grip. Ironically Sassy has nicer hair than Sadie so I've been telling Sadie that she is only pulling the topknot out because she's jealous. Good grief! I've gone to the dogs!

#12 ·
Bhei Jei Mlatese has a wonderful tutorial on how to do topknots.

http://www.bhejei.com/groom-topknots.htm

So does Jackie, JMM, featuring her Mikey Man. Perhaps she could share it here????? (Hint, hint!)

I use the mesh papers from Sally's to wrap the topknot before adding the bow. It looks neater because it keeps the ends in. It stays nicely, but I do change it everyday.

I started letting Lady's topknot grow as soon as I adopted her. She's very used to it and never "messes" with it. In fact, she comes running when I tell her it's time to fix her hair! I love the look of a topknot, even in the summer when I keep her pretty short.

#13 ·
Oh dear.

I just bought quite a number of bows! They are all so cute! I have a little chocolate male havanese and managed to find a couple fo bows for him to (Well like 4!LOL) Maltese are easy they are white and everything goes. But for Chewy he is brown and a boy so only a few colors for him.

Fun anyway! I cannot WAIT until they get here whooohooo!!!

Robyn
and the kids

#14 ·
Originally posted by CookieCat@Jan 13 2005, 09:57 AM
But for Chewy he is brown and a boy so only a few colors for him.

Robyn
and the kids
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=29456
[/QUOTE]

I would love to see a picture of him!! What a cute name! :lol:

#15 ·
I'm quite the newbie to the foofie set-but I absolutely covet those little bows!!! How long will one bow last? They are reuseable? I'm looking at the prices, and while I find them expensive, if I can use them, for several weeks at least then it's worth it!

I must sound like such a dodo,
but she must have some little pink and purple bowsies in her hair!!

BTW, Joe, we need a smilie with a little bow on top.....

#16 ·
Oh, they last forever! Years, probably. The well made ones are stiffened and fray checked and sewn. That's why some of us have so many!

You don't use the bow to make the topknot, you just attach it after your topknot is made. (I posted a link to a great topknot how to one page 1 of this link, I think)That way, you just take the bow off without cutting the elastic when you redo it and pop it back on next time.

I've only had an elastic break once, I think, but it's easy enough to sew a new one on.

I store mine in plastic containers made for thread spools I get from Joann's so they stay clean. Walmart even has containers for crafts and beads that will hold them.

#18 ·
I got some bows on ebay from
BowsbyBeth

She does really great work and is VERY reasonable and nice to work with.
She will custom make too if you want.

I bought some for Brink when I was waiting on him, but I realized I didn't much care for the boy in bows thing. I like him better with his hair short on top...so I don't ever use them. But, they are nice bows!

#19 ·
Originally posted by MomtwoMaltmuffins@Jan 11 2005, 07:38 PM
Yes Laura makes nice bows, but her prices have gone so high now!!  Also her shipping charges I feel are high for what she is charging, especially mailing them within the same province.  I have had items that weigh more actually cost less so I do not know why she is charging so much for her shipping charges.  Also too her prices are listed in US funds so I have to convert to Canadian funds so it makes the price higher.  $6.00 US to send bows within a province is crazy - that works out to about $7

Digby has a few of her bows too!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=29162
[/QUOTE]

Hi Marilyn, thank you for your compliments on my Dogform Bows. I always enjoy making my bows for you and Digby
) I wanted to comment on a couple of things you mentioned in your post. My dog bow prices are very fair with respect to most available in the marketplace. My bows start from $6.95 and most are under $10. I have a few on my website www.dogform.com that are over $10 based on the complexity of the design application, cost of materials and the time it takes to make the bow. The #1 comment I receive from my customers is the amazing value of my bows in comparison to others. My bows are reknown for their unique ribbons, embellishments and truly one-of-a-kind designs. As as an interior designer by trade, my customers buy my bows b/c they are professionally designed, last a long time b/c of the high quality craftsmenship and they love my personalized service of customizing their dogs bows for the show ring or simply b/c they love a certain shade of pink or a particular beading application that I do. As far as shipping is concerned, I charge LESS than the total shipping cost. The price is based on the actual shipping cost PLUS the GST, the gift box and the protective bubble envelope mailer. Unfortunately, for Canadian residents, shipping is more and always has been, within Canada than it is from Canada to the USA. Within British Columbia, Canada, the cost of shipping a small packet is CAD$6.41 PLUS the GST PLUS the gift box and protective bubble envelope mailer making the TOTAL shipping cost MORE than the US$7 shipping rate I charge. The shipping cost from Canada to anywhere in the USA is US$6. I hope you and Digby are enjoying the warmer weather and please give Digby lots of hugs!!!! Laura

#20 ·
Hi Laura, welcome to SM

Yes your bows are beautiful no doubt about that! Digby is a lucky little girl to have some of your bows. They are one of a kind and unique.

It is shipping costs that I had problems with in my post. I guess someone here did not like the fact I said your shipping was too high.

I have had items sent to me from Victoria, jewelry which was heavier than dog bows and it only cost me $3.00 Canadian!!! So I do not see how you can charge US $6.00 for ONE bow! Perhaps in smaller padded envelopes and smaller boxes might lower your cost. Hmm if people are paying you in the US funds, then when you receive their payments and converted to Canadian dollars you are getting more, if I figured that out correctly.

Sorry I am a cheapie when it comes to shipping charges, that is just me.

Anyways welcome to SM, Digby says thanks for the hugs, and our weather is more like Vancouver weather right now - okay who sent that rain here LOL
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70536
[/QUOTE]

Hi Marilyn,

You mention you still do not see how I can charge US$7 for shipping within Canada...let me explain a few things to help you out.

First, the price I charge for shipping is based on the actual shipping cost plus the GST, the gift box and the protective bubble envelope mailer which makes the TOTAL shipping cost MORE than the US$7 shipping rate I charge.

Unfortunately, for Canadian residents, shipping is more and always has been within Canada than it is from Canada to the USA.

It's unfair for you to compare my shipping costs with that of this other vendor who sold you jewellery and conclude I charge more than I should. Either they were paying for a portion of the shipping cost for you, like I do on my Canadian shipments, or the jewellery was sent as an envelope rate versus a package rate or they have a business account with Canada Post so their shipping rates are lower based on their annual Canada Post shipping expenditure -- or any combination of these.

I pride myself on giving my customers the best bows and service however, like the old saying goes "you can't please everyone all the time" and as I say "unfortunately" so.

I also don't charge my customers for handling and extra goodies included with every shipment.

I trust this resolves the misuderstanding you have with my shipping costs.

Best Barks,
Laura

#22 ·
Originally posted by MomtwoMaltmuffins+Jun 9 2005, 10:49 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-puppylucy
@Jun 9 2005, 10:09 PM
ok, so insanely old post but...

do you all know if bowsbyval can put clips on the back of any bow?? or just the ones she specifies? i'm kinda confused 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71172

Yes Jessica, Val can put clips on the back of bows. Her bows are aweome

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71182
[/B][/QUOTE]

yay! definitely going to order about ten of those haha. they're soo cute!

have any of you dealt w/ cosmo dogs? she has some really unique ones

#25 ·
I don't know about shipping bows, but I get my pet supplies shipped to me about once a month and I order bulk and the shipping for a lot of merchandise like what I received yesterday was only $6.71. So, I think I would have a hard time spending the same amount for one little tiny hair bow
but I look for discounts and try to keep the cost down on my supplies..like shampoo,conditioner, pee pee pads, brushes..etc. for Indy..Oh and of course I always have to order new toys each time, as if he really needs another toy
I just put on his new PJ's this morning that I ordered and he looks so adorable..I may not put bows in his hair, but he is still dressed with class

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.