Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I had Abbey at the vet's today, she told my little daughter she had a baby to show her. Then she brought in a 5 week old maltese puppy. She was so small and quiet and sweet!! She weighed 1 lb 1/4 oz but looked 3X smaller than Abbey! She wasn't white white like Abbey is and I was wondering do they get whiter as they get older? Also, her hair was alittle wavy. We didn't see Abbey until we picked her up at 12 wks but she was very white with straight hair. Just was wondering if all maltese puppies look like this at 5 wks?

I never thought to check with our local vet for breeders! We went 3 1/2 hours away to get Abbey. She said this lady only breeds maltese and yorkies. I may have to work on my hubby to get one of these pups! I keep telling him maybe Abbey wouldn't cry as much at night if she had a companion. I'm happy with just one puppy but I just sorta feel so sorry for Abbey at times. What do you all think? Would Abbey be happier with company or is us all she needs? Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
While the choice is yours, I just think that you should wait till Abbey is older and trained before bringing a new pup into the family. Bad habits could be taught to the pup and then you may end up with two dogs crying at night. I waited till Peanut was all trained before I decided to get TicTac and so far things have been great. TicTac is taking cues from Peanut and paper training him has been a breeze. But I can already see from the past week that we've had Tic that he is picking up on some of the habits that Peanut has. They aren't terrible habits, just things that I don't care for. Just my opinion

·
Registered
116 Posts
To comment on littlepeanuts advice, I agree they do tend to pick up all of the habits that you wouldn't want duplicated. However, the trick to that is to supervise their time together. I do not let my girls stay together when I'm not home. Why? Because I'd have a true disaster on my hands when I got back home. My girls know the rules but it doesn't take much incouragement from one another before all rules are out the window (this is because they are still rather young).

For example, my yorkie is still only about 60% housebroken and she's turning a year old this month. She will use the paper IF I'm in the area when she needs to go but if I step away, she goes wherever she wants to (the kitchen is their play area). So when the two Malts are around, they too feel that they can do what she is doing even though they almost always go on the paper any other time. But left separated when I'm out, everyone is a true angel.

Sorry for the long response but the purpose of all of that was to say, if you can deal with having them separated when unsupervised, it may work out for you. Just remember, its almost like doing everything twice and during playtime (when they're together) you'll have to be right there until they mature enough to be trusted alone.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I think it is generally recommended that you wait until the first puppy is at least a year old, housebroken and well-trained behavior wise. As Little Peanut's mom said, a younger one will pick up all the bad habits of the older one and you'll end up with 2 un-housebroken, badly behaved adult dogs. That's why so many young pairs end up in rescue. As Gigi's mom said, her Yorkie's is almost a year old and still not housebroken and her Malts copy that behavior.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts