Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until recently I've left Frosty's beard and ears pretty long. Now I cut his ears about chin length to keep them clean longer, and they look too square! How do you get a layered look on the ears? I scissor cut his body and legs and can layer them, but can't seem to figure out how to hold the hair on the ears when cutting so when the ears are down they are layered! He hates having his ears touched, so it's like trimming on a swivel.....that certainly doesn't help!

·
Registered
939 Posts
I also scissor cut Tiki, he hates the clippers!

I don't layer the hair on his ears, but I lay his ear flat and follow the outline of the ear flap... maybe aobut a half inch to an inch long, all the way around. This gives a bit of a layered look when the flaps are back down and you look at his face.

I am not sure if that is an understandable description, if not re-post and I will try to explain further.

Judi

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
For me the ears are the hardest part to cut. I hold them straight out, then cut in a rounded shape standing over her. I don't know if Lady's earss are set differently or it's me, but after I drop them down and look at her head on, they never look even.

So I trim them again.....

When I finish I always end up with her ears a lot shorter than I had planned! The good news is that I don't have to cut them again for awhile!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I do ears like LM. I brush the hair out and hold it out and trim in a nice rounded shape. Then I blend the ends rounding them into the rest of the head hair from the beard back. Basically from ear to ear under the muzzle is rounded.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I do it the way that JMM suggests. I actually knew from the time Chloe was itty bitty that I would keep her in a puppy cut so I followed (more or less) the curve that happens naturally. Who knew I was doing it right!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i cut the ears REALLY REALLY short. and i just put my fingers where the skin are...and cut close to my fingers.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I always had trouble cutting the ears and beard. That's one reason I have not done it yet. When he is sitting in front of me on the washer, everything looks even. But when I put him down and I look at him from another angle the ears are shorter then the beard. I will try the rounded shape.

PS. You can even see it on this picture. The ear hear is shorter then the beard.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Palbert's ears are cut very short, which I think makes him look even more like a puppy!! And I also don't really try for perfection when grooming my wiggle worm
His hair grows back pretty quickly, so if something doesn't look good- no big deal!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts