Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I need some advice.

Lacey is getting "fixed" on September 9th. Right now her hair is about 5 inches long. She has a grooming appointment on August 28. I was wondering if I should get her hair cut shorter. I don't know if she will want me to mess with her hair after the surgery or if she will be a little messy - blood on her. I just want her to be comfortable. Right now I brush her everynight. She is just adorable with all of her hair fluffy but I want to make her comfortable and I figure the hair will grow back. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
489 Posts
They'll shave the area they need to any way. I made the fatal mistake of cutting my Harry down for the first time (he's a year and a half) and he wouldn't go out of his own accord for two weeks. He was so mortified all he would do is hide. If they're used to it from the beginning they don't mind but if you haven't cut her hair it may be evan more traumatic for her.

Good luck

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Lexi just got spayed on Friday, July 30. I keep her is a puppy cut so I don't have any experience with the long hair. I gave Lexi a bath the night before her surgery and was very glad I did. By Sunday Lexi's stiches did not really bother her. I had to wait 10 days to give Lexi another bath. I think she somehow knew that. The week after her bath she rolled in every smelly thing she could find.

I used the baby onsies on Lexi and they worked great. I did buy a cone from the vet but I only did that because their's was cheaper than PetSmarts. I used the cone at night because Lexi kept tryingto get to her stitchs. During the day when I was at work I also used the cone. If I was at home Lexi was fine wearing the onsies. Someone recommend buying the onsies at GoodWill or some other second hand store. I wish I had done that.

My recommendation would be to not cut her hair. I would just give her a good bath and brushing.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I bought 2 packs of onseis at Target. I got the newborn size. One pack was a perfect fit. The other was not long enough. They were different brands so that sizes must differ from one to another. I ended up putting it on Lexi backward (the front on the onsei was on her back). That allowed me to snap the crotch around her tail. I just did the two outside snaps.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the replies. I just want to make sure that Lacey is comfortable as can be after the surgery. I would hate to cut her hair...she is just so cute with her longer hair. I spoke with my groomer and she said she would take a little length off the next time Lacey is in. The ends are a little dry. When I first brought her home the ends were a little dry and damaged from her playing and the other puppies, her littermates, playing with her. She will be 6 months old next Sunday and I am just amazed at how silky she is getting.

For everyone that mentioned the cone...Lacey does not wear a collar, just a harness when she is outside. Should I also get a collar for the cone?

Isn't it just amazing how much we all care for these little darlings? If I could I would quit my job and stay home with her and my cat. Wish I could win the lottery or maybe marry wealthy! LOL

Thank you.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you. I will go to the petstore this weekend and get the cone. I hate putting it on her but better safe than not.

Nicole - I must say that Toby is just adorable. I love the little coat-shirt on him and the way he is just standing there. Wish I could get Lacey to stand still, but everytime I try her little butt starts to wiggle and she just gets all excited. She is great about sitting and staying but we are still working on the standing and staying.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Aug 20 2004, 12:17 PM
I just aim, point, hope for the best, and snap multiple pictures at once.  :D  Believe me, I have a lot of pictures where Toby is nothing but a blur!
That is one reason why I love my digital camera. I can take as many pictures as I want and then delete the ones that don't turn out. I can also see right away if the shot turnedo out. I am always amazed when one turns out looking like she was posed.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I know what you mean. I took like 15 pictures of Lexi's new haircut. Unfortunatly 10 turned out. So then I had to try to eliminate some. On reason why I did the online photo album. I can now tell my family where the pictures are and if they want to look they can.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts