Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have to be careful of wiskers when you cut their face? My boyfriend says not to cut them so I have been trying to cut around them...(Not an easy task :new_Eyecrazy: ) Sooo..........can I cut them or not?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
749 Posts
Originally posted by shay@Apr 19 2005, 07:45 PM
Do you have to be careful of wiskers when you cut their face?  My boyfriend says not to cut them so I have been trying to cut around them...(Not an easy task :new_Eyecrazy: )  Sooo..........can I cut them or not?
 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54325
[/QUOTE]


If ur growing their hair long u should leave them alone. But if ur trimming the face u should treat them(wiskers)like hair. so I guess u can cut the wiskers same length as facial hair. I hope it made sence.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,271 Posts
The whiskers give them some sensing capability when they are sniffing the ground...for hunting dogs, many feel it is important to leave them on. For the average house dog, trimming them is just fine. Many people with breeds such as shelties simply prefer them trimmed...no harm done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,445 Posts
I heard you cant cut a cat's whisker or else they wont be balanced and will be walking funny. I was a kid when I heard that so my info is totally not accurate!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Apr 19 2005, 10:43 PM
I heard you cant cut a cat's whisker or else they wont be balanced and will be walking funny.  I was a kid when I heard that so my info is totally not accurate!
 
 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54349
[/QUOTE]

The groomer always cuts the whiskers. As far as cats go, I heard as a kid that their whiskers are as long as their body is wide, so they can determine if they can fit in a space. If you cut their whiskers, they might get stuck somewhere. At least that's the story I got.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,445 Posts
Originally posted by maltsmom+Apr 20 2005, 07:56 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-ButterCloudandNoriko
@Apr 19 2005, 10:43 PM
I heard you cant cut a cat's whisker or else they wont be balanced and will be walking funny.  I was a kid when I heard that so my info is totally not accurate!
 
 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54349
The groomer always cuts the whiskers. As far as cats go, I heard as a kid that their whiskers are as long as their body is wide, so they can determine if they can fit in a space. If you cut their whiskers, they might get stuck somewhere. At least that's the story I got.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54391
[/B][/QUOTE]

WHAT?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,668 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko+Apr 20 2005, 03:36 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 20 2005, 07:56 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-ButterCloudandNoriko
@Apr 19 2005, 10:43 PM
I heard you cant cut a cat's whisker or else they wont be balanced and will be walking funny.  I was a kid when I heard that so my info is totally not accurate!
 
 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54349


The groomer always cuts the whiskers. As far as cats go, I heard as a kid that their whiskers are as long as their body is wide, so they can determine if they can fit in a space. If you cut their whiskers, they might get stuck somewhere. At least that's the story I got.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54391

[/QUOTE]

WHAT?

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54583
[/B][/QUOTE]


I heard that too!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
I just wanted to chime in and say thanks for asking such a great question. I just finished grooming my girls last night and although I wasn't sure about it, I did trimm their whiskers down.

I love this site; so much great information!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by gigimom@Apr 22 2005, 10:06 AM
I just wanted to chime in and say thanks for asking such a great question. I just finished grooming my girls last night and although I wasn't sure about it, I did trimm their whiskers down.

I love this site; so much great information!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=55256
[/QUOTE]


I love this site too, everyone is sooo helpfull!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,533 Posts
I had a friend when I was younger, and her mom had 2 cats with longer hair. In the summer she would shave them down whiskers and all (because she didn't like to clean the long hair up
) One was male the other female, both fixed....well, one day we had gone to my friends house after softball practice and her male cat was lodged in a drainage pipe by the side of the house....I dunno if it had anything to do with the shaving of the whiskers or not....but it was pain getting him outta there!

-c
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,836 Posts
i think cats use their whiskers for distance. i'm not sure. i dont really like cats. lol.

that totally sucks that he got stuck.
caseys cats always get stuck behind the washer and dryer
.....you'd think they'd put a lock on those doors....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,445 Posts
Originally posted by Carrie@Apr 24 2005, 08:21 PM
I had a friend when I was younger, and her mom had 2 cats with longer hair.  In the summer she would shave them down whiskers and all (because she didn't like to clean the long hair up 
  )  One was male the other female, both fixed....well, one day we had gone to my friends house after softball practice and her male cat was lodged in a drainage pipe by the side of the house....I dunno if it had anything to do with the shaving of the whiskers or not....but it was pain getting him outta there!

-c
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56051
[/QUOTE]

OH MY...HAHAHAA
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top