Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
17,634 Posts
Forgive me for dragging out my soapbox, but here goes!

Please, please, if your vet says that Daezie needs to lose weight, listen to him. Just like with people, obesity is one of the #1 causes of diabetes. My Lady ballooned up to 11&1/2 pounds after I adopted her and became diabetic. She is now at her ideal weight of 9 pounds. Being 2&1/2 pounds overweight is a huge amount of extra weight to be carrying around, nearly a third of her ideal weight. Terry's Missy also became diabetic from obesity.

Greens beans are Lady's secret weapon, too. I put them in her Busy Buddy Twist and Treat and she loves them!

As for Harley, he may be at his ideal weight at 12 pounds. There are a lot of giant-sized Maltese out there who've had Bichon slipped into the lines and/or are bred by BYB's who don't bred to the standard and want to breed from larger dogs (more puppies, less difficult deliveries=more $$$$) They can be at their perfect weight at 12 pounds or more.

Your vet can tell if a dog is overweight or just large.

· Registered
17,634 Posts
I get the frozen cut green beans and either run water over them to defrost or let them sit out for a bit. I then cut them in half so they can fall out easily in Lady's Twist and Treat. She will choose a green bean over a piece of dehydrated chicken if you can believe that!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.