Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Whoa! That's great that it got such wonderful coverage. I hope something can be done to stop this danger!!!

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
i think deb's picture of the coyote ON HER DECK would actually do more good... i mean, these people only think the coyotes are outside lurking in the dark, in the woods.. if the public was shown they are actually STALKING people/dogs IN THEIR HOMES, during the DAY, i think more would be done!

this whole situation is driving me crazy!

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
I cried when I first read about the loss of Bagel-but seeing Bagel's mommie crying-I just lost it. :smcry: :smcry: I was showing this to Peter and small world-his Aunt and Uncle live in Placentia too. It's not fair that all the residents are held captive in their own homes. OK-they're protected animals-but when they are out to kill-should they be protected more than the humans :wacko1: and their pets? :smilie_tischkante: :smilie_tischkante:

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
i think deb's picture of the coyote ON HER DECK would actually do more good... i mean, these people only think the coyotes are outside lurking in the dark, in the woods.. if the public was shown they are actually STALKING people/dogs IN THEIR HOMES, during the DAY, i think more would be done!

this whole situation is driving me crazy![/B]
Exactly! They said nothing about coyotes lunging at sliding doors and keeping people prisoners in their homes. They made it sound like if you had a flashlight and your dog on a leash, you were fine.

I must admit I was waiting for a woman with a towel around her head dripping dye to be interviewed. :)

·
Premium Member
16,777 Posts
Any press is good press, if it helps get that coyote. I teared up, too, when Bagle's mom was on and thay showed as picture of him. Makes it all the more real when there's a face attached to it.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I must admit I was waiting for a woman with a towel around her head dripping dye to be interviewed. :)[/B]
Oh if only Marj, what an image I have of that interview :)
I am sure Deb would have got the point across for sure, towel on head and all. What gets me is even if you walk with your dog on a leash and a flash light in hand these coyotes are hungry and daring, nothing will stop them.
I had no idea coyotes were a protected species, they aren't around here, I guess it varies from state to state, we are always reading about how the numbers are increasing and they are migrating to areas where they were once unheard of.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
I too feel it is better than no coverage but I truthfully am disappointed... I feel it didn't address the aggressive behavior of this particular coyote nor it possibly being rabid and a true public safety issue. I felt it approached it more like the 'normal' consequences of a 'normal' coyote being displaced and ending up in a communal area. Yes it showed the sad story of Bagel and that was heartwrenching for sure, but that 'can' be thought of as the natural order of 'nature'.
A Normal coyote, even a hungry one, will try to avoid human contact NOT pursue it.. like following that couple!
then after Deb throws the bat to the guy.. the coyote goes after her. That is NOT normal! I really don't think the media coverage took the angle to warn people this particular coyote MAY be rabid. Maybe it has another disease as dispemper also... making it just as dangerous.

I also am still astonished association representative ( I forgot just what capacity the person held) but to out-right LIE about the traps being set is totally unexceptable to me and he/she, in my opinion, should be held accountable!

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
Thank you for sharing this with us that are not on the West Coast.

Melanie

·
Registered
7,486 Posts

EXACTLY!!!!

·
Registered
10,369 Posts

I agree. Jaenette, and I, were very disappointed. We were hopeful, at first, because she told them of the lunging, following, and cries for help. They even taped near my patio, while interviewing. This was all edited out.

Our intent was to make awareness of the danger coyotes can cause. We are so use to them, we ignore the, possible, danger. Not many believe a coyote would be so bold. I have so many friends in this complex, and I must say, so many of them didn't believe me. I was so afraid for those who thought "my coyote", was just a stray, harmless dog. As the coyote continued to terrorize, they realized, "yep, it's a psycho coyote, we better be careful". Soon no one was leaving their house without a bat. That's what I want to see!!

Jaenette, and I, were thinking, what the heck!! Why doesn't Animal Control. the Police, Fish and Game, anyone, as far as that goes, care??

The complaint, I made with OC Register, is being investigated. They will add my story, and the picture, with that. It will be a real New's story.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

I agree. Jaenette, and I, were very disappointed. We were hopeful, at first, because she told them of the lunging, following, and cries for help. They even taped near my patio, while interviewing. This was all edited out.

Our intent was to make awareness of the danger coyotes can cause. We are so use to them, we ignore the, possible, danger. Not many believe a coyote would be so bold. I have so many friends in this complex, and I must say, so many of them didn't believe me. I was so afraid for those who thought "my coyote", was just a stray, harmless dog. As the coyote continued to terrorize, they realized, "yep, it's a psycho coyote, we better be careful". Soon no one was leaving their house without a bat. That's what I want to see!!

Jaenette, and I, were thinking, what the heck!! Why doesn't Animal Control. the Police, Fish and Game, anyone, as far as that goes, care??

The complaint, I made with OC Register, is being investigated. They will add my story, and the picture, with that. It will be a real New's story.
[/B]
Deb, has he still been stalking your door? Has anyone seen it? I am so very dissapointed with the coverage..but something is better than nothing..

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Deb, does any of your local news stations have a segment where they investigate complaints from people who are not getting the help they should be getting? In my area we have Contact16, which is the # of the station. They not only investigate if it is a valid complaint, but find out WHO is actually responsible for not correcting the situation and contact them. Often of course they are "not available for an interview", but it puts a lot of pressure on the right person or group to take care of the problem. They always have follow up stories to see if the situation has been corrected or resolved. It is amazing how quickly things get taken care of after they report the story citing WHO is the one responsible to correct the situation.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Deb, does any of your local news stations have a segment where they investigate complaints from people who are not getting the help they should be getting? In my area we have Contact16, which is the # of the station. They not only investigate if it is a valid complaint, but find out WHO is actually responsible for not correcting the situation and contact them. Often of course they are "not available for an interview", but it puts a lot of pressure on the right person or group to take care of the problem. They always have follow up stories to see if the situation has been corrected or resolved. It is amazing how quickly things get taken care of after they report the story citing WHO is the one responsible to correct the situation.[/B]
That's a good idea.. here in NY there is "7 on your side" that gets in, investigates and confront the 'powers that be' and they truly do get the job done. Many problems resolved this way when every other route has been tried to no avail.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
I have not seen Cujo in two days. The traps are set, I've found two of them.

I was taliking to Linda, Bonnie's Mom, last night, around 10PM. I told her I hadn't seen him. Right when we hung up, a 2nd Coyote shows up. Yep, he's of the grey species, not the reddish color of Cujo. He was HUGE. Very healthy looking.

I emailed the association last night. Told them to leave the traps out, there is, at least one more. The fires have them scattered all over So Cal.

I am not walking my little ones anymore. These coyotes have no where to go. I'm sure this will be an ongoing problem. They are far too desperate, and sneaky. I will not risk it.

Since Cujo was not trapped. I'm thinking this bigger one may have gotten him, and, perhaps now has rabies.

We are looking into "real" coverage of this problem. We have this "run-a- round" documented. We have emails, times, dates, etc. of all conversations.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Deb has anyone thought of contacting 20/20 or 60 minutes. They cover things such as this all the time. Maybe that is the route that needs to be taken. If the local authorities think this it is nothing to worry about I wonder what the heck they would do if one came a calling on their doorsteps. Stupid People!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This doesn't really surprise me Deb, I am sure there are more than just the two. I think it's a great idea to let 20/20 or 60 Minutes know, perhaps the more coverage you get the more chance you have of getting something done.
I don't blame you for not wanting to go out walking with the little ones either, I know I wouldn't go out till I knew it was safe to do so. Even now here I am wary and we have a fence up, but a farmer friend told Gary they can jump a 7 foot fence if they are hungry enough :shocked: ours is just over 6 feet.

Perhaps Cujo was so sick that he just died from what ever ailed him.

·
Premium Member
16,777 Posts
This just gets worse and worse - now there's a SECOND one?? I agree, maybe contact the national news, Dateline, 20/20, etc. You might be helping a lot of communities where this is happening, by putting the spotlight on yours.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts