Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. this is a venting post for me and I'm sure many of you are NOT in the same boat as me (lucky you)

Long Story short.......I got my new baby after 4 years of nagging, begging and even sometimes arguing with my husband about getting her. FINALLY he gives in and says it's fine to get the dog BUUUUUUUUUUUUT.....he makes it clear he will have NO PART of dealing with the dog. Walking, feeding, Vet Appointments...NADA, ZERO, ZIP.
So I say fine WHATEVER between my daughter and I we will take care of the dog. I think my daughter and I over dose the dog with hugs, kisses and attention. LOL!! So we have had the dog for just about 2 months now and my husband was true to his word. He really does not pay much attention to her at all. Does not pick her up or anything. He IS NOT MEAN to the dog..just doesn't pay much attention to her. But that's fine....because my daughter, 4 year old son and I make up for it.

Now....yesterday...I had to go shopping for clothes for myself and the kids and of course there was no way I would take a dog with me to the mall because I had to try clothes on and knew I would be gone a VERY LONG TIME. My daughter came with me and Chulita stood home with my husband and my son. I told my husband to keep an eye on her and I called him serveral times while shopping to check up on her. I get home and I hear my husband yelling at the dog because she is chewing on the wire to his playstation control. I don't say anything to him because she is NOT suppose chewing on the wire and has to learn. Well.....he walks away and she goes right over to the wire and starts again..I'm in the room and I go over to her and she KNOWS when I come I mean business...LOL I pick up the wire to see she has chewed threw the wire and I'm like OOOOOH NO he is not going to like this. When he came back into the living room I showed him the wire and he went NUTS.
Yelling, carrying on, takes the romote and throws in the garbage. Tells me it's a BRAND NEW remote...blah, blah, blah. Well next thing you know...it turns into an arguement between us. I tell him YOU KNOW she chews on everything why would you keep it out!!! and it took her time to do that so you OBVIOUSLY were not keeping an eye on her. He tells me he was cooking and cannot do both things. Which is a bunch of bull...I do plenty of things and keep an eye on her at the same time. He tells me IT'S NOT HIS RESPONSIBILITY and that HE TOLD ME he wanted no part of taking care of the dog...etc.etc. It turned into a yelling match because I OF COURSE defended my dog. He knows she's a puppy and is chewing on things all the time, he sees how my daughter and I are CONSTANTLY watching her and telling her NO when she chews on things she is not suppose to. By the end of the night...I was not talking him and didn't say a word to him this morning.

UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH...

sorry but I had to let this all out.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
well...puppies chew. if he doesn't want his things chewed on he should take care of them. i tell that to my kids aaaaall the time.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Carrie@Nov 21 2005, 10:24 AM
well...puppies chew.  if he doesn't want his things chewed on he should take care of them.  i tell that to my kids aaaaall the time. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121691
[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I told him.
I'm so annoyed at him..he knows I won't talk to him all day today either.

Does this chewing/teething stage get better as they get older?? Does it eventually stop??

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
If I were in your situation I'd divorce the bum... Ooops just kidding!!!

No, seriously, what I would do is never leave her out when you are not at home. If you're going to be out for a few hours, I would put her in her exercise pen and treat the sitaution as if no one is home. I would never leave a dog alone with someone who doesn't like them and who has no interest in looking after them. Dogs can sense when they are around someone who doesn't like them... it is bound to be stressful for the dog.

A puppy left to his/her own devices will chew on things that look interesting. They don't know it is your prized possession. They should not be out of your site for a second. For example, I had left my vacuum cleaner in the great room in the middle of cleaning. It was there for a couple hours and when I went to finish vacuuming I saw that Kallie had chewed through the cord. Luckily it wasn't plugged in. Big lesson for me...

I sure hope things work out for everyone..... including precious, little Chulita.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by bklynlatina@Nov 21 2005, 09:31 AM
That's exactly what I told him. 
    I'm so annoyed at him..he knows I won't talk to him all day today either. 

Does this chewing/teething stage get better as they get older?? Does it eventually stop??
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121696
[/QUOTE]

It does get a lot better as they get older and it depends on the individual dog. My first Maltese, Rosebud, hardly chewed on anything. Yet Kallie and Catcher still have to be watched. It isn't just chewing it is making sure the trash can doesn't have any tissue in it that they can reach or that the closet door is closed so they won't get at my underwear, etc. I still keep my eyes on them.

They both still like to chew on the wooden rocker portion of my rocking chair and Kallie is 3+ and Catcher is 1+. They probably will always be sort of like toddlers.....

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Not to discourage you... but I don't know when they stop chewing either.
Abbey has chewed a computer wire, my plants, my daughter's barbie doll fingers off, etc. I know it should all be kept up but ultimately I felt responsible because I was not watching Abbey close enough. She chews more now at 11 months than she did as a very young puppy. I thought it would stop when her baby teeth were extracted but it only got worse! So, I have lived and learned. Abbey is not allowed in bedrooms (husband's request before he agreed we could get her), or in my daughter's toy room (for the safety of my child's toys but Abbey's safety as well!). Abbey mostly follows me whereever I go, but if she is not behind me, I call for her. When I am doing laundry upstairs, she is put in the bathroom with her pee pad, toys. water, and a special treat to keep her busy.

I suggest when your hubby is home (since he doesn't want to deal with her), put her in an x-pen with bed, pee pad, toys and water.

My hubby came around even though he really didn't want an inside dog and now he wouldn't trade Abbey for anything
but it sounds like your hubby probably won't warm up to her
, especially since he hasn't when she's an adorable little puppy!
Which is okay, as long as he's not mean to her. Not everyone is a dog lover and you have to respect that he let you know that ahead of time.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
I was pretty lucky with Toby, he didn't really chew on anything, but Wally loved the corner of my coffee table as well as my husband's PS2 cords.
What saved my sanity was Bitter Apple. I know some dogs don't mind the taste, but you may want to give it a try.

Also, you may want to try keeping her on a leash when in the house, that way you can see what she is up to at all times; it worked wonders for Toby.

As for your husband, he probably won't change and that is his prerogative, so if I were you, I would buy an exercise pen and leave your baby in there when you go out.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Nov 21 2005, 10:32 AM
If I were in your situation I'd divorce the bum... Ooops just kidding!!! 

No, seriously, what I would do is never leave her out when you are not at home. If you're going to be out for a few hours, I would put her in her crate and treat the sitaution as if no one is home. I would never leave a dog alone with someone who doesn't like them and who has no interest in looking after them. Dogs can sense when they are around someone who doesn't like them... it is bound to be stressful for the dog.

A puppy left to his/her own devices will chew on things that look interesting. They don't know it is your prized possession. They should not be out of your site for a second. For example, I had left my vacuum cleaner in the great room in the middle of cleaning. It was there for a couple hours and when I went to finish vacuuming I saw that Kallie had chewed through the cord. Luckily it wasn't plugged in. Big lesson for me...

I sure hope things work out for everyone..... including precious, little Chulita.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121697
[/QUOTE]

LOL!!

I know....I guess I can do that too...but the thing is if ANYONE is home and she is in her Play Pen she will bark, cry and whine. He told me yesterday that if I leave again to run errands etc...and I left him home alone with the dog that, that was exactly what he was going to do. But I yelled at him for that as well. LOL! I told him NO SHE'S IN THERE ALL DAY 5 DAYS A WEEK...why can't you just keep an eye on her when I go out...what's SO FREAKING HARD.

I tell him ALL THE TIME that she KNOWS he does not care for her.
I hate it when he comes home and she runs up to him just waiting for his attention and he just keeps walking by. It breaks my heart. I tell him you CAN YOU AT LEAST acknowledge her and say hi to her she just wants attention.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
What a terrible situation to be in. I guess that's why they always say that getting a pet should be something that the whole family is in agreement about. For someone who isn't in to them, pets can be a pain, whether it's a cat scratching the furniture, a puppy who chews, or even just pet hair on clothing.

I would think that if only for the sake of your children, he could try to care a little bit about Chulita. Maybe when the emotions settle down, you can talk to him about it.

I'm no shrink, but I suspect he's a little jealous of all the attention Chulita is getting.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by LadysMom@Nov 21 2005, 11:06 AM
What a terrible situation to be in. I guess that's why they always say that getting a pet should be something that the whole family is in agreement about. For someone who isn't in to them, pets can be a pain, whether it's a cat scratching the furniture, a puppy who chews, or even just pet hair on clothing.

I would think that if only for the sake of your children, he could try to care a little bit about Chulita. Maybe when the emotions settle down, you can talk to him about it.

I'm no shrink, but I suspect he's a little jealous of all the attention Chulita is getting.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121715
[/QUOTE]

It's been o.k until this happened yesterday. He said he doesn't mind her much but once she start messing with HIS stuff then he has a problem with her. I told him THEN PUT YOUR STUFF AWAY!!!

Hopefully he will eventually get use to her being around and yesterday was a hard lesson for him as well to keep his stuff off the floor where she can clearly get to it. and MAYBE AND THAT'S A BIG FAT MAYBE he will warm up to her. If not TOO BAD. Chulita is here to stay wheather he likes it or not. :D

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Abbey@Nov 21 2005, 10:40 AM
Not to discourage you... but I don't know when they stop chewing either. 
  Abbey has chewed a computer wire, my plants, my daughter's barbie doll fingers off, etc.  I know it should all be kept up but ultimately I felt responsible because I was not watching Abbey close enough.  She chews more now at 11 months than she did as a very young puppy.  I thought it would stop when her baby teeth were extracted but it only got worse!  So, I have lived and learned.  Abbey is not allowed in bedrooms (husband's request before he agreed we could get her), or in my daughter's toy room (for the safety of my child's toys but Abbey's safety as well!).  Abbey mostly follows me whereever I go, but if she is not behind me, I call for her.  When I am doing laundry upstairs, she is put in the bathroom with her pee pad, toys. water, and a special treat to keep her busy. 

I suggest when your hubby is home (since he doesn't want to deal with her), put her in an x-pen with bed, pee pad, toys and water.

My hubby came around even though he really didn't want an inside dog and now he wouldn't trade Abbey for anything 
  but it sounds like your hubby probably won't warm up to her 
, especially since he hasn't when she's an adorable little puppy! 
  Which is okay, as long as he's not mean to her.  Not everyone is a dog lover and you have to respect that he let you know that ahead of time.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121701
[/QUOTE]

I have a X-pen. She is in there 5 days a week for a good 7 hours so I just feel bad on the weekends if I have to step out that she gets put in there AGAIN. If I can take her with me I normally do on the weekends. Yesterday was ONE of the FEW DAYS I couldn't take her and left her with him. He did YELL at me that if he is left with her alone again that, that was what he was going to do was to put her in her X-Pen.
If your in the house and you put her in her X-Pen she KNOWS someone is there and starts crying, barking, whining...so that is the only problem I have with him putting her in there while he is home with her and I am gone.

HE'S A BULLY!!!!!!! and that's what I call him when I carry her around. LOL!! I tell her come on Chulita that Bully is here. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Gee you are in a situation, but in fairness to your hubby he did forewarn you about his feelings. Having said that I can't understand how anyone wouldn't warm to these sweet little furkids. Perhaps in time when she is a little older and out of the puppy stage she may be able to get around him and break down that barrier. I know one thing these little ones are not known to give up and they know when there is a challenge.
I had something happen just yesterday with Scooby while we were out on a walk. We stopped to chat with a neighbor and his son was there. Now the son didn't want anything to do with Scooby and he just stood there and ignored Scooby's persistant attempts to get some attention from him. After about ten minutes of Scooby jumping up to him and running back and forth and barking at him the lad eventually gave in and bent over and petted him. Scooby was then happy and left him alone after he had won his little battle of wills.
I guess what I am saying is eventually your hubby may come round and perhaps find that this little bundle of fluff isn't so bad after all and deserves some of his attention.
As for the chewing his remote cord, I have to say he is partially to blame for leaving it there knowing the interest Chulita was showing in it in the first place. I would suggest in future you will have to leave her in an e-pen perhaps with something of her own to chew on like a chew bone, of course one that is safe if hubby isn't going to keep an eye on her.
We are so very lucky with Scooby as he has never shown any interest in our things but that could be because he has so many toys of his own to play with and always has some kind of chew bone to keep his need to chew occupied.
Good luck with hubby, I sure hope you guys don't get into arguments over Chulita too often. I know this might be hard to do but if there is a next time perhaps it would be better to allow him to have his say and just say ok and leave it at that to save an unpleasant situation. It's best to just agree to disagree and walk to another room and let out your frustrations alone sometimes. I know Scooby hates elevated voices, even though hubby and I don't argue, we do have different opinions on some things and if it does get a little loud sometimes Scooby tends to get nervous and I am sure your little Chulita is the same and the last thing you need is a hyper sensitive dog.
I wish you luck, you sure have a challenging situation, but don't give up on hubby. Perhaps he had a bad experience some time that could explain his reluctance to get close to a pet. Maybe when things settle down as someone has already said you both can sit down and calmly talk about it.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by bklynlatina@Nov 21 2005, 10:29 AM
HE'S A BULLY!!!!!!! and that's what I call him when I carry her around.  LOL!!  I tell her come on Chulita that Bully is here.  LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121723
[/QUOTE]

OK... I'll share something that might help.... I was always told that people tend to act in the way that others expect them to. So, if you call him a bully, he will be more inclined to act like one. So, if I may be frank, maybe it would be best not to taunt or tease him as it may only make him resent her even more. He may come around and start loving her but it will be on his own terms when he is ready.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by Scoobydoo@Nov 21 2005, 11:50 AM
Gee you are in a situation, but in fairness to your hubby he did forewarn you about his feelings. Having said that I can't understand how anyone wouldn't warm to these sweet little furkids. Perhaps in time when she is a little older and out of the puppy stage she may be able to get around him and break down that barrier. I know one thing these little ones are not known to give up and they know when there is a challenge.
I had something happen just yesterday with Scooby while we were out on a walk. We stopped to chat with a neighbor and his son was there. Now the son didn't want anything to do with Scooby and he just stood there and ignored Scooby's persistant attempts to get some attention from him. After about ten minutes of Scooby jumping up to him and running back and forth and barking at him the lad eventually gave in and bent over and petted him. Scooby was then happy and left him alone after he had won his little battle of wills.
I guess what I am saying is eventually your hubby may come round and perhaps find that this little bundle of fluff isn't so bad after all and deserves some of his attention.
As for the chewing his remote cord, I have to say he is partially to blame for leaving it there knowing the interest Chulita was showing in it in the first place. I would suggest in future you will have to leave her in an e-pen perhaps with
something of her own to chew on like a chew bone, of course one that is safe if hubby isn't going to keep an eye on her.
We are so very lucky with Scooby as he has never shown any interest in our things but that could be because he has so many toys of his own to play with and always has some kind of chew bone to keep his need to chew occupied.
Good luck with hubby, I sure hope you guys don't get into arguments over Chulita too often. I know this might be hard to do but if there is a next time perhaps it would be better to allow him to have his say and just say ok and leave it at that to save an unpleasant situation. It's best to just agree to disagree and walk to another room and let out your frustrations alone sometimes. I know Scooby hates elevated voices, even though hubby and I don't argue, we do have different opinions on some things and if it does get a little loud sometimes Scooby tends to get nervous and I am sure your little Chulita is the same and the last thing you need is a hyper sensitive dog.
I wish you luck, you sure have a challenging situation, but don't give up on hubby. Perhaps he had a bad experience some time that could explain his reluctance to get close to a pet. Maybe when things settle down as someone has already said you both can sit down and calmly talk about it.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121730
[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what happens when my husband gets home. She will wait, follow him around and maybe even bark to get his attention. None of it works with him. So I either TELL HIM to acknowledge her or I call for her to come over to me. I tell him you know all she wants is for you to acknowledge her and then she will leave you alone. Just like Scooby did.

He did warn me before hand about not helping with her feedings, walks, visits to the vet. But I had not idea he would be THIS WAY. I thought once he saw that face he would of melted like the rest of us did.

Well what can I do but just take it day by day. I have an very very short temper and a bad one at that...so this craziness yesterday set me off. I think it was just worse because I had JUST GOT HOME and was in a good mood and he just ruined it.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Nov 21 2005, 10:55 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-bklynlatina
@Nov 21 2005, 10:29 AM
HE'S A BULLY!!!!!!! and that's what I call him when I carry her around.  LOL!!  I tell her come on Chulita that Bully is here.  LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121723
OK... I'll share something that might help.... I was always told that people tend to act in the way that others expect them to. So, if you call him a bully, he will be more inclined to act like one. So, if I may be frank, maybe it would be best
not to taunt or tease him as it may only make him resent her even more. He may come around and start loving her but it will be on his own terms when he is ready.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121732
[/B][/QUOTE]

Oh I agree with you there K/C a man's pride will always get in his way and make him as stubborn as you want him to be.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I'm really sorry you are having such a hard time. I am not much help with the chewing issue because neither of my pups have ever chewed much of anything. It seems to me that the safest and best thing for Chulita is to be in an X-pen when you or your daughter are not at home. This will be the safest thing for all concerned. If you are giving Chulita lots of love then going in the X-pen is not that big of a deal. Have you considered what will happen if you had to go out of town? Maybe your daughter could ask her dad to take Chulita for a walk with her (while you stay at home). Or maybe the daughter could suggest to her dad that they try and teach Chulita to play fetch. If he were involved it would make things easier, and he might do it for your daughter......

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I would do EVERYTHING possible not to leave my fur-baby alone with the husband. His anger actually sounds like it could endanger the baby.

It is hard to understand anyone who doesn't love these little balls of love but I do realize there are people that don't...but... I just don't get it. *shrug* My husband ADORES Bella....We actually kind of fight over her...not about her. :D

As for the chewing...Bella stopped that at 12-14 months old and now she is 2 1/2 never chews anything but her food.
Whoever suggested the Bitter Apple....that was the answer for us in puppyhood.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Nov 21 2005, 02:10 PM
I'm really sorry you are having such a hard time.  I am not much help with the chewing issue because neither of my pups have ever chewed much of anything.  It seems to me that the safest and best thing for Chulita is to be in an X-pen when you or your daughter are not at home.  This will be the safest thing for all concerned.  If you are giving Chulita lots of love then going in the X-pen is not that big of a deal.  Have you considered what will happen if you had to go out of town?  Maybe your daughter could ask her dad to take Chulita for a walk with her (while you stay at home).  Or maybe the daughter could suggest to her dad that they try and teach Chulita to play fetch.  If he were involved it would make things easier, and he might do it for your daughter......
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121781
[/QUOTE]

Yeah this has been the first real issue...that has turn into a full blown arguement. He has made his comments since we got her. But I have held it in and keep saying SHE'S JUST A BABY. LOL But yesterday he went nuts when the cord to his stupid playstation remote was chewed down to the wire. I had JUST walked in the door from shopping, was in a good mood, was happy to see Chulita and within just minutes of being home he got all beside himself about the cord and then it escalated from there I guess. I take zero B.S. (excuse the language) from anyone...and sorry but that means my husband too and he knows it. So when he started to carry on about I got back at him with it.

About getting him involved...he wouldn't even come with me to the Groomer on Saturday to pick her up.

Everyone has said the same exact thing you said about the X-Pen...and as I have said before...it's just that she is there 5 days a week a good 7 hours so I think it's unfair for her to be in there on the weekends. When she KNOWS there are people in the house...being in her X-Pen is a nightmare...she cries, barks, whines...
So I feel bad for her. BUT I guess I will have no choice the next time my daughter and I go out and are not able to take Chulita.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Surprises me that she hasn't won his heart?!
Is it cold and black?!
J/K!!!!!!

We have the chewing issue occasionally...and it is usually the kids' stuff. They get SO mad...but then I remind them not to leave it laying around. Most of Emily's barbies are missing at least one limb (hand/foot).

Wishing you luck in this stressful situation. Maybe if you try putting her in the play pen when you are home some, she won't be so stressed when she has to be in there when just hubby is home.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by tlunn@Nov 21 2005, 02:35 PM
Surprises me that she hasn't won his heart?! 
  Is it cold and black?!
J/K!!!!!!

We have the chewing issue occasionally...and it is usually the kids' stuff. They get SO mad...but then I remind them not to leave it laying around. Most of Emily's barbies are missing at least one limb (hand/foot).

Wishing you luck in this stressful situation. Maybe if you try putting her in the play pen when you are home some, she won't be so stressed when she has to be in there when just hubby is home. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121795
[/QUOTE]

Tell me about it!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!

I mean how could one not just turn to Mush.

I think it big part of it may be that he didn't grow up with Pets. NEVER!!!!! I on the other hand grew up with Fish, Birds, Hamsters, dogs...you name it. We had at least 2 pets growing up in MY HOUSE.

Oh yeah....Chulita has gotten a hold of my Son's Power Rangers...HE DOES NOT LIKE IT....LOL

I will have to try and leave her in her X-Pen while we are there for VERY SHORT amounts of times. We will see how that works. I give in VERY EASILY with that little one especially because I don't see her ALL DAY.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts