Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As it seems that a few pups are having trouble with dehydrated foods and owners aren't sure what is going on I thought a post with some tips might help.

This is based only on my personal experience and what works for Hunter and myself may not work for everyone.

If anyone else has any other tips it would be great if you would post them too!:thumbsup:

Hunter's TIPS:

Hunter Eats: Grandma Lucy's Artisan (usually Lamb but recently tried chicken and can't wait to try Bison)

How I prepare it: Hunter gets 1/3 a cup at each meal. To prepare I use small glad containers and put 1/3 a cup of the product in each container. Then I add 1/3 a cup of hot water to the product and stir with a small baby spoon (it just fits in the container best). If there is a large chunk of meat in the container I will add a little bit more water. Then, the containers are left on the counter. Once cool, into the fridge they go. Each container is one meal.

How I serve it: In the mornings we serve it cold with a little bit of yogurt on the side. In the evenings it is heated up (plastic container is taken out of fridge 30 mintues before dinner and placed in a shallow dish of warm water - we don't have a microwave). Dinner is accompanied by Earth's Best babyfood (usually sweet potato or peas), about a teaspoon.

******ONLY READ BELOW IF YOU WANT TO KNOW ABOUT STOOL***********

Hunter's Bowel Movements: He has 1 or 2 bowel movements per day depending on his mood (he has never been "regular" and does receive medicine one a month for this). His poops are light brown with a few speckles here and there. IF Hunter's food hasn't been given enough time to properly hydrate I will see more of his food remnants in his stool. This is why we hydrate and prepare the way we do.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
As it seems that a few pups are having trouble with dehydrated foods and owners aren't sure what is going on I thought a post with some tips might help.

This is based only on my personal experience and what works for Hunter and myself may not work for everyone.

If anyone else has any other tips it would be great if you would post them too!:thumbsup:

Hunter's TIPS:

Hunter Eats: Grandma Lucy's Artisan (usually Lamb but recently tried chicken and can't wait to try Bison)

How I prepare it: Hunter gets 1/3 a cup at each meal. To prepare I use small glad containers and put 1/3 a cup of the product in each container. Then I add 1/3 a cup of hot water to the product and stir with a small baby spoon (it just fits in the container best). If there is a large chunk of meat in the container I will add a little bit more water. Then, the containers are left on the counter. Once cool, into the fridge they go. Each container is one meal.

How I serve it: In the mornings we serve it cold with a little bit of yogurt on the side. In the evenings it is heated up (plastic container is taken out of fridge 30 mintues before dinner and placed in a shallow dish of warm water - we don't have a microwave). Dinner is accompanied by Earth's Best babyfood (usually sweet potato or peas), about a teaspoon.

******ONLY READ BELOW IF YOU WANT TO KNOW ABOUT STOOL***********

Hunter's Bowel Movements: He has 1 or 2 bowel movements per day depending on his mood (he has never been "regular" and does receive medicine one a month for this). His poops are light brown with a few speckles here and there. IF Hunter's food hasn't been given enough time to properly hydrate I will see more of his food remnants in his stool. This is why we hydrate and prepare the way we do.

Thanks, Erin, for taking the time to post your routine. I am sure it will help a lot of people.

My dogs do just fine on Dr. Harvey's pre-mix, Stella and Chewy's Carnivore Kisses Freeze-dried salmon treats, and freeze-dried apples.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Yesterday I decided to buy a "backup food" for when I'm out of homecooked. Like this week, I ran out of my homecooked after Tuesday and don't feel like cooking til this weekend... The store I went to had Sojos and Addiction dehydrated foods. This time I brought Addiction home (it's the herbed lamb with potatos and carrots). The dogs really like it and so far their tummy has been okay on it. Anyone else ever heard of addiction? It's a New Zealand company www.addictionfoods.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts