Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some people have posted about dehydrated sweet potatoes before, but I think they bought them. Today, I actually made some for the dogs. I bought a HUGE sweet potato, peeled it and then using the peeler, peeled off long strips. I then placed them on a Silpat and dehydrated them in the oven, set at 200º, for 2 hours. Just a word of caution: They really shrink!
Best of all, the dogs went nuts for them! I even tried one and you know they weren't half bad!

I think I have found a new treat for the dogs--cheaper and much better than the store bought ones!

·
Registered
277 Posts
<span style="font-family:Times">that sounds like a great idea
thanks for letting us know.</span>

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Thanks for sharing the recipe! Sweet potatoes are a great nutritious high fiber treat for diabetic Lady. She gets samples of dehydrated ones at one of the dog boutiques that sells my bows and she loves them! I haven't bought any because they come in such a big bag, though.

Got what is probably a stupid question....what is a silpat?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
It is a silicon liner you put on your cookie sheet or inside a baking pan,

If you didn't want to buy one you could also use parchment paper. I used to think the silicone liner was cool but with all the new studies about cooking in the plastic bowls and new baking dishes I'm not sure.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Then there is the foil that made by renolds I think called relese and its great so I will do it on that
It will work the same way

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I love how topics morph! :lol:

Anyway, I love my Silpat. It is an awesome invention! Nothing sticks to it! You probably could just put the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet, but I am so used to using my Silpat that I just grab it. I would highly recommend them if you make something that always sticks to the pan. I make these cookies for Christmas and every year they stick--I end up breaking more than getting off the pan.
Anyway, since using the Silpat, they peel right off the pad and no more broken cookies!!!

If anyone watches Martha--she always uses them too!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Originally posted by Angelsmom@Sep 18 2005, 09:31 PM
Tried it and Angel and Tag say "mmmmmm Thank you Nichole, mom made us some and they are great
"
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=100906
[/QUOTE]

Just wondering before I make these....how many can you feed them per day? And another kind of silly question. Does the sweet potato turn their hair orange? :lol:

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
the buttercup is simply salivating at the mere THOUGHT of more sweet potato treats! she loves her gerber veggie puffs (sweet potato flavored, at that) and they have nearly replaced cheerios as her favorite treat here...

will have to try this!!!

ann marie and the "i'm a sweet potato too" buttercup

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by *Tink's*Mommy@Sep 18 2005, 08:39 PM
Just wondering before I make these....how many can you feed them per day?  And another kind of silly question.  Does the sweet potato turn their hair orange?  :lol:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=100910
[/QUOTE]
Well, they shrink up really small, so I would think that even a handful would be okay throughout the day.
Afterall, it is a veggie. I bought a HUGE sweet potato and by the time I dehydrated them, I had maybe a sandwich baggie full.

I haven't noticed any orange hair with Toby. They are dried up and not wet so I think they are safe.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I made them for Lady and they are a big hit!

I sliced the sweet potato instead, pretty thin, but it took 5 hours to cook them!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I made some on Friday night. I had a non-stick cookie sheet so I thought I would try it without any parchment paper or aluminum foil. BIG MISTAKE!!!
Most of the ended up sticking to the cookie sheet.

·
Registered
174 Posts
So I read this topic and was real excited to try these. I went and bought a big yam, cut it up and placed it on the sheets of my mom's dehydrator. After a couple hours, I went and looked and some of the pieces looked like they were moldy. They weren't really crispy either. I'm going to continue drying them this morning, but I was wondering if anyone has any pictures of how their's turned out so I can compare and make sure I'm doing this right. Although I dont know what the difference between an oven and a dehydrator would be as far as results, but I'm just kind of confused.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!! :D

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Originally posted by wizzyb@Sep 27 2005, 11:46 AM
So I read this topic and was real excited to try these. I went and bought a big yam, cut it up and placed it on the sheets of my mom's dehydrator. After a couple hours, I went and looked and some of the pieces looked like they were moldy. They weren't really crispy either. I'm going to continue drying them this morning, but I was wondering if anyone has any pictures of how their's turned out so I can compare and make sure I'm doing this right. Although I dont know what the difference between an oven and a dehydrator would be as far as results, but I'm just kind of confused.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!!  :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103958
[/QUOTE]

The ones I buy, "Sams Yams" are not crispy they are hard and chewy. I have not tried to make them yet (bought the yams and the no stick aluminum foil but haven't done them yet). I have had Ty's beard turn orange with Sam's yams but it washes out.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts