Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:

Great, super news! Now if they could pass something like that for international travel!

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
Delaware is the first state in the country to pass a bill allowing a titer test in lieu of Rabies vaccine. :aktion033:
I saw that this morning...such great news.
I’m very fortunate that my town hall will accept titers, too. Actually, they didn’t even know what one was until I brought my Ling Ling’s titer in and proved she had enough immunity. My other two have waivers, which by law they have to take.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Great News! Hopefully the first state of many more to get "woke" and follow in there footsteps!
:chili:

FYI: Titer is pronounced TIGHT er :smartass:

I have copied an article below from Dr Dodds on titer testing for our newer members that don't know what a titer test is::confused1:

By W. Jean Dodds, DVM on October 11, 2012
What is a titer test?
A titer test is a simple blood test that measures a dog or cat’s antibodies to vaccine viruses (or other infectious agents). For instance, your dog may be more resistant to a virus whereas your neighbor’s dog may be more prone to it. Titers accurately assess protection to the so-called “core” diseases (distemper, parvovirus, hepatitis in dogs, and panleukopenia in cats), enabling veterinarians to judge whether a booster vaccination is necessary. All animals can have serum antibody titers measured instead of receiving vaccine boosters. The only exception is rabies re-vaccination. There is currently no state that routinely accepts a titer in lieu of the rabies vaccine, which is required by law.

There are commercially available vaccine titer tests for dogs that can be performed in a laboratory or also in the veterinarian’s office for faster results. Several commercial and university veterinary diagnostic labs and Hemet offer reliable titer testing for dogs, cats and horses.

What’s the bottom line on titers?
More than a decade of experience with vaccine titer testing and published studies in refereed journals show that 92 – 98% of dogs and cats that have been properly vaccinated develop good measurable antibody titers to the infectious agent measured. In general, serum antibody titers to the “core” vaccines along with any natural exposures last a minimum of 7 – 9 years, and likely are present for life. This corresponds with what we see clinically, as the number of cases and deaths due to these diseases has decreased significantly in the vaccinated population.

The bottom line is that using vaccine titer testing as a means to assess vaccine-induced protection will likely result in your pet avoiding needless and potentially harmful booster vaccinations. And that is a huge benefit for a simple blood test!

***************************************​

Also, a search on SM can bring up lots more info on this topic. :happy:

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
This is pretty cool. I wasn't really aware of antibody testing as a means of possibly not having to use certain boosters.

I guess the question i have is, it says "potentially harmful booster vaccinations". What do yall know of that can be harmful about them? Are there certain boosters in particular to be cautious of? Is it something like the dog having a bad reaction, or possible issues with their health down the road as a result of the booster?

·
Super Moderator
10,137 Posts
There is a ton of research that has been published about the side effects of repeat vaccination and the dangers of over vaccinating. Search for ”vaccinosis” as well as the impact of over vaccination on toy breed dogs. Dr. Jean Dodds and Dr. Ronald Schultz are the primary experts on titer and vaccination. Many of us have chosen to follow Dr. Dodd’s’ protocol of initial minimal vaccination followed by titer. This is especially important for small dogs. A number of years ago a study by, I think, Purdue University veterinary school showed that toy breeds were signific more likely to suffer ill effects from repeat vaccination. Given that there is also no scientific evidence that “boosters” are needed to provide immunity, and that’s why many of us chose to titer.

on this forum, search for vaccination side effects and you’ll find information many of us have already posted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts