Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a thread asking a legitimate question about something I read online about a breeder. It got one response and now I've found the thread was deleted. Is there a moderator or someone who can explain this to me? I had a concern and was seeking information about a breeder, is this not allowed?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Hmm. That's strange. People do post threads often on SM asking about particular breeders, so it's definitely allowed. Hopefully one of the admins can shed light..

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
I responded to your thread and believe you are not who you say you are.

Midis Maltese is great, Dian is great!!! You will get a great puppy from her with no problems.
The person, Clabec, that started that nasty post on RipOffs was just trying to hurt Midis with untrue comments and charges. I know first hand and will say stay away from Clabec! As many members here have done, feel good about buying a pup from Midis.

Marsha

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts

Midis Maltese is great, Dian is great!!! You will get a great puppy from her with no problems.
The person, Clabec, that started that nasty post on RipOffs was just trying to hurt Midis with untrue comments and charges. I know first hand and will say stay away from Clabec! As many members here have done, feel good about buying a pup from Midis.

Marsha

Oh I have to agree. I have two show dogs from Midis and both have produced BEAUTIFUL show quality puppies for me. PM me if you have any questions!

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Dian has beautiful dogs and is a very nice and knowledgeable breeder. I would not hesitate to get a pup from her.

Now on the other hand I have been offered a few pups from Clabec for free and with full breeding rights and have turned them down time and time again. In my personal opinion if I can't trust the breeder I can't trust to get a healthy pup. No legitimate breeder sells a intact dog with breeding rights if they aren't under contract to show. I have other issues with Clabec but will keep those to myself.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I also missed the original thread.......but know that Dian (Midis Maltese) has some wonderful, show and/or pet quality maltese and I would not hesitate to buy one from her.......actually I would feel privileged!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Marsha
I really was curious, I did a google search of Dian's name and maltese and that was one of the first things that came up. I'm sorry if I offended anyone, it was a legitimate question. I have read all of the bad stories of sick dogs and I knew a lot of people on here had experience with her and I wanted to know if there was any truth to whatever supposedly occured with one of Dian's maltese. Again, I am really sorry if anyone thought that I was trying to perpetuate what apparently is a hateful lie. I really just want a Maltese and I want a healthy one so I'm doing as much research as possible.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I really was curious, I did a google search of Dian's name and maltese and that was one of the first things that came up. I'm sorry if I offended anyone, it was a legitimate question. I have read all of the bad stories of sick dogs and I knew a lot of people on here had experience with her and I wanted to know if there was any truth to whatever supposedly occured with one of Dian's maltese. Again, I am really sorry if anyone thought that I was trying to perpetuate what apparently is a hateful lie. I really just want a Maltese and I want a healthy one so I'm doing as much research as possible.
It's good you are doing research. It's nothing wrong with asking questions about any breeder. Make sure you also check this out American Maltese Association

:chili:Has all the breeders who show by state.:chili:

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
It's good you are doing research. It's nothing wrong with asking questions about any breeder. Make sure you also check this out American Maltese Association

:chili:Has all the breeders who show by state.:chili:
Actually, that list does NOT have all the maltese breeders who show. Not all reputable breeders belong to the AMA. I just wanted to make that clear. Having said that, the list is a good place to start.
I believe both of the breeders you mention are banned from SM.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Actually, that list does NOT have all the maltese breeders who show. Not all reputable breeders belong to the AMA. I just wanted to make that clear. Having said that, the list is a good place to start.
Dian is NOT banned from SM that I know of but Clabec is.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Excuse me, yes it does not have all the breeders who show but yes it is a good start. What I have learned is some of the breeders on the list will give you information about the other show breeders who are not on the list. Do not be in a rush take your time! I learned this lesson from my Poppy who was not a maltese but a yorkie.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Excuse me, yes it does not have all the breeders who show but yes it is a good start. What I have learned is some of the breeders on the list will give you information about the other show breeders who are not on the list. Do not be in a rush take your time! I learned this lesson from my Poppy who was not a maltese but a yorkie.:)

Thank you for the advice. I have been reading/thinking about Maltese for a few years, and have been lurking around this forum for most of that time, just absorbing info. I feel like I have a pretty good handle on what I want and what's important in a breeder, I have just been waiting for the right time, financially and otherwise. Obviously, most of you didn't see the original thread but it said that I had more or less decided I was going to contact MiDis and then what I found freaked me out. These responses, as I hoped they would, have reassured me and when I've got my job situated I plan to contact Dian.

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
Sorry if you got some snippy responses here. Honestly? It wouldn't be the first time the 'perpetuator' created an alternate account, since her original one is banned from this site, so people are a bit wary and quick to jump to conclusions.

Personally, I feel that business/money/contract concerns should be kept between buyer and seller and not posted all over the internet (and definitely not giving someone's home address on a public site like ripoff report) To me, that tells me about the intergrity of the person making the complaint. If the seller was refusing to pay back the money at all, i can see that as a reason for taking it public but that was never the case.

I will say again that I am very happy with my dogs from Midis and found Dian easy to work with, esp with me being a brand spanking newbie to the show world. is she perfect? No, but there is no such thing as a perfect breeder.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry if you got some snippy responses here. Honestly? It wouldn't be the first time the 'perpetuator' created an alternate account, since her original one is banned from this site, so people are a bit wary and quick to jump to conclusions.

Personally, I feel that business/money/contract concerns should be kept between buyer and seller and not posted all over the internet (and definitely not giving someone's home address on a public site like ripoff report) To me, that tells me about the intergrity of the person making the complaint. If the seller was refusing to pay back the money at all, i can see that as a reason for taking it public but that was never the case.

I will say again that I am very happy with my dogs from Midis and found Dian easy to work with, esp with me being a brand spanking newbie to the show world. is she perfect? No, but there is no such thing as a perfect breeder.
I understand and I am not offended, I was actually more worried that I may have offended someone! I can tell it is a bit of a touchy subject. The original post did include that I had no interest in the business issues between these two people, it was just a concern on the claim of luxating patella in the dog so I got worried about genetic problems. It seems, however, from what yall are saying that if there even was a dog with this disorder it was an isolated incident.

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
I understand and I am not offended, I was actually more worried that I may have offended someone! I can tell it is a bit of a touchy subject. The original post did include that I had no interest in the business issues between these two people, it was just a concern on the claim of luxating patella in the dog so I got worried about genetic problems. It seems, however, from what yall are saying that if there even was a dog with this disorder it was an isolated incident.
From what I understood about the whole claim, the dog in question was pretty close to adulthood, so even with an LP concern, it can't be entirely blamed on a genetic issue. If it was a young puppy with LP, yes, it's probably more genetic than environmental.

Luxating Patella is a common condition with maltese and even those puppies from the top breeders can't be guaranteed to not be affected. Not letting them jump on and off the couch/bed can help prevent it, although that is easier said than done!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
From what I understood about the whole claim, the dog in question was pretty close to adulthood, so even with an LP concern, it can't be entirely blamed on a genetic issue. If it was a young puppy with LP, yes, it's probably more genetic than environmental.

Luxating Patella is a common condition with maltese and even those puppies from the top breeders can't be guaranteed to not be affected. Not letting them jump on and off the couch/bed can help prevent it, although that is easier said than done!
So does a dog having LP disqualify them from showing?? Or is it just a matter of ethics that since a dog has LP that it would not be wise to show since a dog with LP should not be bred????? Not trying to make an issue of it, just wondering??? I have two that have LP but you would never be able to tell it visibly because they show no signs.....I only know from the vet. Of course they are both rescues and most likely came from a byb.

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
An LP does not disqualify a dog from showing unless the problem is so severe as to turn the dog lame. A lame dog would be excused from competition. In another senario, the dog is not lame, but the LP limits function of the movement, then that would make it difficult for a dog to win. Many dogs in the show ring do compete with mild LP. In fact, some dogs compete in performance with mild LP.

You should know that not all LP dogs are pulled from breeding programs. In some breeds taking out all LP dogs would severely limit the gene-pool which could cause other more heinous problems. A dog with an LP should be checked, evaluated and disclosed.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts