Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out doing errands yesterday and happened into my local pet boutique which Sassy and I frequent :D While I was in there a conversation came up between me and the owner about pet therapy and I told her I had checked earlier and Sassy was not old enough but is old enough now. Anyway, yada yada yada and I made my purchase and came home. In a little while my phone rang and it was our local Animal Society and she was asking whether or not I would like to get Sassy certified through Delta Society. She said that they were in desperated need of a "little doggie" at the Brooks Rehabilitation Hospital here in Jax. I can not begin to say how excited I was. We had a long conversation and she said that we actually have an evaluator here in town and we made an appointment for me to go in this morning to pick up the home study course manual and all of the forms. I went to the appointment and the lady was soooooo excited at the possibility of getting Sassy to visit at Brooks. "Brooks Rehabilitation Hospital is a 143-bed, freestanding, not-for-profit hospital dedicated to treating patients with brain injury, strokes, spinal cord injury, comprehensive orthopedic problems and other disabling conditions. Brooks has more than 30 years experience dedicated exclusively to comprehensive rehabilitation care." So I am going to begin my study course immediately. Delta Society is very thorough and the entire application process takes about 6--8 weeks. I have told Sassy that she is going to be a "working girl." She is such a little social butterfly and when I shared her personality with the Animal Society lady she was just beside herself with joy. She said Sassy sounds perfect for the placement. I have all of the information about the fees and process if anyone is interested. I think this is going to be such a rewarding venture for both Sassy and myself to help people with these kinds of injuries. I will keep you posted as to our progress. We will see Sassy vet, Dr. Bennett, tomorrow at his annual open house. He will be so proud of Sassy. (And part of the process includes a well baby exam to be completed by him.) What do you ladies think? Don't you think Sassy will be a big hit?

The patients in this facility are not outpatients. They are there long term (8 weeks or more.) So Sassy will actually get to know them and them her. This will be so fun and rewarding.

·
Registered
174 Posts
That's awesome! Once Codi gets old enough, I would love to be able to do that! I definitely think it will be rewarding, for everyone involved! Everyone will definitely fall in love with her real quick! Best of luck studying!!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Oh-those people don't know how lucky they are!!
You both are going to do so much good!! How rewarding-congratulations to you and Sassy!

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Oh Sassy will be wonderful therapy for all who are lucky enough to meet her
You are going to find this very rewarding indeed for the patients and also for yourself and Sassy.
We took Scooby to Nebraska a month ago to visit our elderly Aunt for her 95th Birthday. She is in a nursing home, and Scooby was just beautiful with her, so much so that she said it was the best Birthday present ever. He sat on her lap and was so gentle and snuggled up to her with little kisses, and the smile on Aunt's face was our reward, we felt so proud of how well behaved he was too.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Oh wow! I've looked into therapy dog service for Paris to participate, but unfortunately I dont think his temperament would qualify.

You are so blessed to be able to help others with your Sassy.

I just had an idea. Dont know how practical this idea is but her it goes...
Wouldn't it be neat to make little buttons that say something like I was touched by an Angel (and have Sassy's picture?)

Put me down for one!

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all who have wished us warm wishes and Kudos. I am very excited about this.

Paris' mom, I too am a little concerned about Sassy's temperment. However, I have been assured that she will be fine. The issue with Sassy is that she to sooooooooooooooo friendly. She never meets stranger and wants to kissy kissy everybody. The button sounds like a good idea. I was thinking about making cards with Sassy's picture and give them to the patients. The card would say something like......My new "Sassy" friend...............or, I was visited by a "Sassy" gir-r-r........I am not sure what yet but something cute with her picture. Maybe what you suggested something like, I was visited by a "Sassy" angel. Something cute!

Wizzyb....age requirement is at least 2 yrs. old.

Thanks again to all who have wished us luck! We love you guys!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Originally posted by Sassy's mommy@Nov 6 2005, 09:24 AM
Thanks to all who have wished us warm wishes and Kudos. I am very excited about this.

Paris' mom, I too am a little concerned about Sassy's temperment. However, I have been assured that she will be fine. The issue with Sassy is that she to sooooooooooooooo friendly. She never meets stranger and wants to kissy kissy everybody. The button sounds like a good idea. I was thinking about making cards with Sassy's picture and give them to the patients. The card would say something like......My new "Sassy" friend...............or, I was visited by a "Sassy" gir-r-r........I am not sure what yet but something cute with her picture. Maybe what you suggested something like, I was visited by a "Sassy" angel. Something cute!

Wizzyb....age requirement is at least 2 yrs. old.

Thanks again to all who have wished us luck! We love you guys!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=117186
[/QUOTE]

Oooh. How about something like Certified Friend of Sassy? For the card? I think that it's more economical because I suspect Sassy will be making LOTS of friends =) Photocards are really affordable at Walmart.com (you upload the picture, make your design, and pick-up at the store!)

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
sassy will bring smiles to everyones faces!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
That is wonderful news
I think it will great for everyone all around...for Sassy, because she loves meeting people, for you because you are such a good Mommy and will love bringing her for visits and for the patients because she will fill them with love and
nose licks
Let us know how it is going for you both, I am looking forward to hearing about her new adventure

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Paris' mom....is Walmart cheaper than printing yourself? I have a pretty good printer, but with the cost of ink???????????????

Littleman's mom....nose licks? All I can say is that they better keep their mouth closed
Sassy has been known to lick a couple of teeth

Thanks Jaimie :D

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Originally posted by Sassy's mommy@Nov 6 2005, 04:23 PM
Paris' mom....is Walmart cheaper than printing yourself? I have a pretty good printer, but with the cost of ink???????????????

Littleman's mom....nose licks? All I can say is that they better keep their mouth closed 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=117281
[/QUOTE]

For regular photographs, they're the cheapest around. I haven't priced their gift cards yet, but since Walmart is usually known to be cheaper than their competitiion, I would think so.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Originally posted by Sassy's mommy@Nov 6 2005, 05:23 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=117281
[/QUOTE]

Sounds like our little guy, he will get an eye if you don't close it first

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Oh, I think that is so great for you and Sassy to do this program and work with the patients. In my years of doing this, some of the most severely brain injured have responded better to stroking a pup than anything else. I will tell you that you may have some problems with Sassy's coat. Many of my elderly like to rough up the coat, and I've learned to take a dog with shorter hair. Poor Liz went with me last month, and it took an hour to get her groomed again.

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sassy's coat is pretty easy to brush out. Her daddy sometimes backstrokes her coat, so I am used to that. And Sassy is used to me pulling and tugging tangles.....oops, sorry baby girl, mommy did not mean to pull the baby's hair
I guess if it becomes a big problem I can put a dress on her for their visit. I don't have another dog to choose from

1 - 20 of 24 Posts