Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Demi has never had any bad tear staining before but we made some changes and now she has some so HELP me narrow it down as do not want to make too many changes at once. She never ever had mouth tear stains and now she does :(

I use to do this

Spring or distilled water

eye envy but did not have to do often

Organic chicken breast on kibble

washed her face with puppy shampoo as no tears

what changed

spa lavish facial scrub - has anyone had staining on this??

eye envy on occassion

wild cod on food

and screwed up was being lazy and giving water from fridge filter

so only difference would be cod, fridge water or spa lavish stripping hair shaft allowing stains to set in

I have now changed back to spring bottled water full time as my gut is the fridge filtered water:(

any ideas on what is happening

she is 6 years old and blood work just came back yesterday perfect.

I switched from chicken to cod when she did some projectile vomitting a couple times in a week thinking this was the cause plus fish is easily digestible and she needs to lose a little weight

also she chews her nails so when she is doing this since her mouth is pink now her front two paws are pink on under side -ughhhh

only other thing going on and why i had her annual exam done early as well as blood work is she is waking up in middle of night and having seizure activity where she cannot breathe right, licking lips, shaking like cold, stiff, eyes glassed over, scared look on her face and many times it is after she vomits first but not always. It does not happen often and last episode was 2 weeks ago and prior to that April so vet thinks seizure since it happens at night or first thing in am. She had a petit mal years ago after eating rosemary chicken :( so i knew there was underlying issue and she would do this activity and kept having wishful thinking maybe reverse sneeze even though my gut was it was not but this last episode lasted alot longer and scared me so took her in asap to discuss with vet. Next episode i will try to get on video but she wants me to hold her when it happens as she gets so scared :( We will watch her though to make sure they do not go longer or closer together but otherwise totally healthy :)

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
Don't know about the Spa Lavish, or the cod, but go back to the water she was getting. Eventhough your fridge water is filtered, the water you purchase is probably "cleaner". Change things one at a time over a period of a couple of months for each so you'll know what the culprit is. :)

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't know about the Spa Lavish, or the cod, but go back to the water she was getting. Eventhough your fridge water is filtered, the water you purchase is probably "cleaner". Change things one at a time over a period of a couple of months for each so you'll know what the culprit is. :)
Thanks so much - yeah did the water first and will wait 90 days and not use spa lavish anymore - I cut out the stains for now but cannot cut the mouth stuff :( If it does not get better in 90 days then will go back to chicken

does age factor into staining ?

I need to call newman's own organic to make sure they did not change their formula either as she has been on that for years now

·
Registered
573 Posts
I've been through the ringer with Athena's tear staining and my conclusion is that it is due to seasonal allergies. I've tried it all, including a visit to an opthomologist. I follow her known food allergies ( I had her tested)and never give colored treats with any additives. Still she gets an annual tear staining episode. If it takes too long to clear up or gets really dark I give up and use tylan or metronydizole to clear it up.

Good Luck,

mary anna herk and theena

·
Registered
59 Posts
My baby is a puppy-mill rescue and when I got him at 12 weeks his face was brown. Angel eyes has been a blessing. I only use it in 2-3 week increments every few months. He gets fridge-filtered water and that has never stained on him, although I agree allergies are likely your culprit.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
she does not have allergies as i have an allergy yorkie that is a nightmare :( this seems more related to one of those three changes and really think it is the water :( I hope that is it

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
Deb, I'm sorry Demi is having these problems. Do you think the tearstaining, nail chewing & seizures are all connected? After Boo's ACL surgery, he began staining like that really bad around his mouth. He was on 3 meds for awhile & had a lot of pain which caused him to pant & drool & lick his mustache repeatedly. I hadn't changed anything, so I knew it was a result of his injury & surgery. After he was better & off the meds,I started him on a probiotic that I ordered from Mercola & washed his face daily with a conditioning shampoo with brighteners & trimmed it up shorter. By the time he had his second surgery, it had cleared up quite a bit. Not sure why but, he didn't get worse again after the second surgery, the staining continued to get better. He did get a different antibiotic after the second surgery. He's almost back to normal now,except for just a tad in the very corners of his mouth,but it's not that noticable unless he starts licking a lot.He's always been a licker. Not his feet though, he likes bedskirts & woodwork.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used Pearlyt. I buy it at the vets. I found the Spa Lavish face wash to be a bit drying when used every day.
i am thinking the spa lavish may be contributing as this has started after using that a few times and when i called eye envy to order the refridgerated version vs the NR version she told me even though it does not say bleaching agent on the bottle it may have something like this in it and it strips the hairs causing stain to set in she said.

I do not think the seizures would be related as she takes no meds at all and I have never given her probiotics but will if it does not resolve.

I think the mouth is from chewing her nails and licking her feet alot as both paws and mouth are pink. I cut back her mustache which brings up another question lol can you trim their mouth hairs short as demi has some long ones and they go in her mouth and bugs dh and he is always saying cut those mouth hairs lol so maybe i will do it more now.

It is so odd as she has never had this before. Someone said cod has more mercury than tilapia and i was thinking maybe the cod is attributing to it as have always gave her organic chicken

racking my brain but for now I went back to regiment with eye envy after cutting out most stains but will not put anything on her mouth area

she has been having these episodes occassionally for a while after the rosemary chicken incident i posted when i first joined here so not sure if that triggered this occassional thing or not but i feel bad if it did as i talked to specialty hospital as i hope it was not me giving her that one time that did this all and they said not to beat myself up as it would have come out eventually and that was just a trigger. I kept thinking the vomit was going up her nasal cavity thus causing her to reverse sneeze but this last one was longer and scared me so took her in right away.

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
can you trim their mouth hairs short as demi has some long ones and they go in her mouth

As you can see I neatly trimmed Star's moustache - I think it looked better, and food particles hanging on weren't an issue/

81501618309.jpgEdit

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
can you trim their mouth hairs short as demi has some long ones and they go in her mouth

As you can see I neatly trimmed Star's moustache - I think it looked better, and food particles hanging on weren't an issue/

81501618309.jpgEdit

that looks good ok will trim her up today :) I just did not want it to make her lick more or bug her but i bet it bugs her less than having those hairs in her mouth

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
Deb, I thought chewing nails & paws is a classic sign of allergy. That's pretty much what I've always read on here. Face & eye staining, chewing nails & paws, reverse sneezing, all can be allergy related to my understanding. Hannah has mild allergies. After she's been outside, she tends to want to chew on her pawpads & she sometimes sneezes. I changed her food last mth to Wellness senior & her pawpad chewing got worse, so I changed her back to NB limited ingredients for allergies,no grains. My vet said she has minor allergies. When I adopted her, she did have quite a bit of staining on her face & back paws & lots of ear infections that took about 18 mths to get cleared up.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Deb, I thought chewing nails & paws is a classic sign of allergy. That's pretty much what I've always read on here. Face & eye staining, chewing nails & paws, reverse sneezing, all can be allergy related to my understanding. Hannah has mild allergies. After she's been outside, she tends to want to chew on her pawpads & she sometimes sneezes. I changed her food last mth to Wellness senior & her pawpad chewing got worse, so I changed her back to NB limited ingredients for allergies,no grains. My vet said she has minor allergies. When I adopted her, she did have quite a bit of staining on her face & back paws & lots of ear infections that took about 18 mths to get cleared up.
no ear infections no licking really just chews her nails lollll vet called her a drama queen so maybe she is nervous hahaha. Vet said some dogs do this and not sure why but will try to trim myself - SCARY more often as i have always hated trimming nails so let groomer do it as do not want to screw up and have a mess. She never itches, no ear issues, just bites her nails - she is a nut.

ok i trimmed her mustache lol - that was fun trying to avoid her tongue lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts