Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, tiny Deni will be going in for her spay and dewclaw removal tomorrow. She'll also be getting her microchip inserted. She will be six months old exactly tomorrow, what a way to spend a b-day!!
I'll post a few days after she's been home to let everyone know how the dewclaw procedure went. Now, it's time for a bath before puppy class and a good night's sleep!!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
awww, poor deni
well, at least she's getting it done now instead of later.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Good luck with everything
I am curious about the dew claws too. I hate the thoughts, but I might have to do that to Phoebe
I wish the breeder had it done it. They really do get in the way and already Phoebe's bleed just from playing because they catch on things the way she holds them. I need to put it past my vet of course, but they really are bad and I keep them trimmed well (Phoebe is much better at that now).

Please let me know how that goes. This is a hard decision for me because of the pain of course, but she could be in pain pretty much now alot of the time

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Deni's pretty tiny, not quite 3# yet by my scale (an OLD kitchen scale).

As far as the dewclaws, my two older (senior) dogs still have their dewclaws and we've had problems with them snagging and damaging the nail to the point of pretty heavy bleeding. As small as she is and the fact that I plan to keep her hair long it just seems prudent (to avoid problems w/ snagging) and easier (too much hair is making it very difficult to trim the nail since I can't see it that well). I've been thinking about it since I brought her home, an now with her hair longer I just think life would be easier without them.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Awwwww, good luck to Deni! Shrek went in for his neuter, hernia removal and microchip Tuesday of last week, and he is already healed and back to business as usual. The first couple of days after the op are tough for them, but they start recovering quickly after that.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just got a call from the vet. Deni is out of surgery (was first in) and is doing well. She's waking up great from anesthesia and is on a warming pad. Her little feet/legs are wrapped from her dewclaw removal, so now it's going to be healing time. I get to pick her up after 5pm today.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
yay deni!!

take some pics of her like that. with the bandages on her wrists....it looks all sporty. lol.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I'm glad things ran smoothly for Deni.

I asked our vet about dew claw removal when we first got our pup....she said that it usually is no problem to have them removed unless they are an attached digit (kind of like the way your thumb is). In that case, the procedure is much more complicated and very painful...akin to declawing a cat. If the dew claws are floppy and just attached by connective tissue, then it is a simple, easy procedure. If a pup's dew claws are bleeding from getting caught on things, then I think it's a good idea to remove them. But if they aren't a bother (we are fortunate that ours are not)....then if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Hope Deni recovers quickly!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks to All for your well wishes!!
Deni's been home for about 1 1/2 hours and is doing well. Napping more than usual (to be expected after surgery) but does get up to walk. She's putting more weight on the right front legs when sitting, but walks without limping and no signs of pain. She did get a pain shot at the vet, so won't be due for any pain med if needed until early, early in the AM. She's got bright pink co-flex on her front legs that matches her collar, harness and leash. This was just a stroke of luck as I didn't bring her collar in when I dropped her off this AM. Other than being a little sleepy, she's acting normally. I'll be keeping her seperate from the other furkids when I can't watch them because Ally tends to like to roughhouse a bit. I've got Deni's ex-pen set up with her crate, toys, blankie and pee pad in the dining room where she can see everyone and listen to Animal Planet (my TV is on most of the day and when I'm not around I leave Animal Planet on for the kids to watch!). I'll try to get a pic with her and her pink bandages in the next couple of days...Thanks again!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts