Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well $620 dollars later my boys teeth are nice and clean. Jonas is 6 months old, had 7 baby teeth extracted, everything is ok. Quincy, 15 months old had his first cleaning. He had bad tartar, and they also found a very loose permanent molar that had started to get infected , probably would have abscessed, so they pulled that one. I brush the boys teeth about 4x a week, other than increasing the brushing, anything else I can do? I had the vet apply the Oravet Dental Sealant to his (Quincy's) teeth, and bought the gel to apply at home, also bought the CET Enzymatic Dental Chews to give to the boys daily. I have heard of some stuff you add to the drinking water, Inobys, or something like that. Does any of this stuff work, or is brushing the best solution?
Thanks,
Quincymom

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
all of the above works..my mom used the stuff for the water and it worked, but they didnt like the water as much..but they drank it. lots to chew on and brushing..u can never care for the teeth too much. another thing u can try is buy a small bag of hills t/d and give them a nugget or two a day. my mom also does this, and her dogs have never needed a dental, and she doesnt brush their teeth.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I really like the gel you just rub on their teeth. I think it is helpful. Brushing is great, too.

Some dogs have nasty dental disease and always do no matter what you do. Jonathan is one of those dogs. He gets a dental every year no matter what I do. Mikey on the other hand cannot have toothpaste so doesn't even get his teeth brushed, just scraped every once in a while and they look wonderful (he's 4 1/2). Go figure...

My dogs always liked the CET chews. I actually buy the large or medium size for Jonathan and always supervise when he chews them.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
JMM, why do you have to supervise the CET chews? I don't think I can give those to Pico anyway because he can't have much protein but I wondered why they need supervision?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Any edible chew should be supervised. The CET either come in petites which are edible crumbly chews or rawhide chew strips. Dogs can choke or swallow large pieces so you should always supervise when giving things like this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts