Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
18,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K & L both had dentals today---no extractions--YAY! The vet sent them home w/a new chew--veggiedent for tartar control. It contains (among other ? things--sorbitol & erythritol---both sugar substitutes!!!!!! Have any of you used these? I do not think they would be good for my two. It also says on the bottom of the pkg. that they are made in Vietnam? Company is Virbac C.E.T.

·
Premium Member
LACIE, SUKI & LING LING ❤️❤️❤️
6,062 Posts
I have used them without issue. Here is a list if you want to try something else if your concerned. http://vohc.org/VOHCAcceptedProductsTable_Dogs.pdf
As you know all of our dental woes, I have tried just about every product on this list, brush my girls every night and they continue to have problems. Does any of it work…who knows 🤷🏻‍♀️

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
18,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Joanne---helpful list. I used Plaque Off for years & am still not sure if it helped. I don't like the ingredients in this one either as they don't seem healthy or serve any benefit as far as I can see. We had no extractions today & the vet was very pleased w/how clean their teeth were considering they had not had a dental for a while. She would like to try going 2 yrs. between for Kitzel due to his cardiac issue (he is now grade 5 w/Thrill or whatever it is called! :) He will now be on antibiotics for 10 days but Lisi doesn't have to have them. Dwt. brushes their teeth religiously!

·
Premium Member
6,062 Posts
Thank you Joanne---helpful list. I used Plaque Off for years & am still not sure if it helped. I don't like the ingredients in this one either as they don't seem healthy or serve any benefit as far as I can see. We had no extractions today & the vet was very pleased w/how clean their teeth were considering they had not had a dental for a while. She would like to try going 2 yrs. between for Kitzel due to his cardiac issue (he is now grade 5 w/Thrill or whatever it is called! :) He will now be on antibiotics for 10 days but Lisi doesn't have to have them. Dwt. brushes their teeth religiously!
I brush Suki and Lacie and Ling is a lost cause. She gets so worked up, I wouldn’t dare push it. She lost most of her teeth during the pandemic. My lil Suki who went through all that painful jaw surgery,
is losing her tooth where she had so many problems. I followed the surgeon advice to a T and nothing has helped that I’m totally discouraged at this point. I’m not sure if any ot those products work or it’s just really bad genes. I didnt notice any difference with Plaque Off either.
Im so happy your dentals went well. That’s such a relief. I think that’s a good idea on waiting. Im sorry Kitzel’s murmur has progressed. Strangely enough, my vet and the IMS did not hear Lacie’s murmur these last visits. If I wasn’t so preoccupied with my 3 misbehaving girls, I would have asked more questions on how that could be possible 🤷🏻‍♀️
Sending hugs to you all…

·
Registered
137 Posts
Joanne,

I think it is genetic 😢
I brushed Lena's teeth and gave her C.E.T enzymatic every day. But she had bad teeth. I felt so bad and hopeless.
I follow the same regimen with Leia (she is older than Lena and she is a rescue) and her teeth are ok.

Sandi, I am happy for Lisi and Kitzi🧡 but very sad that Kitzel's murmur has progressed.

Sending love to both of you🧡

·
Premium Member
6,062 Posts
Joanne,

I think it is genetic 😢
I brushed Lena's teeth and gave her C.E.T enzymatic every day. But she had bad teeth. I felt so bad and hopeless.
I follow the same regimen with Leia (she is older than Lena and she is a rescue) and her teeth are ok.

Sandi, I am happy for Lisi and Kitzi🧡 but very sad that Kitzel's murmur has progressed.

Sending love to both of you🧡
Thank you for your thoughts. I really appreciate hearing from others regarding dental disease. I’ve had so much guilt that maybe I was being neglectful with my girls teeth because I’m always so busy caring for my parents. I thought maybe I should have brushed twice a day, maybe I should have brush longer, maybe I should buy the more expensive product etc.
Like your girls, my two youngest have rotten or no teeth, yet Lacie my oldest has beautiful teeth.
Going forward, I will definitely be asking breeders about the teeth. That is one thing that never crossed my mind to ask about.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hi! My vet gave me the exact dental chews for Cody. However Cody didn’t want anything to do with them at his age now. When he was a puppy though he chewed them and nibbled to almost the very end. But now, he won’t even touch it. Hope Kitzel is doing okay and Lisi too!

·
Super Moderator
10,414 Posts
I brush Suki and Lacie and Ling is a lost cause. She gets so worked up, I wouldn’t dare push it. She lost most of her teeth during the pandemic. My lil Suki who went through all that painful jaw surgery,
is losing her tooth where she had so many problems. I followed the surgeon advice to a T and nothing has helped that I’m totally discouraged at this point. I’m not sure if any ot those products work or it’s just really bad genes. I didnt notice any difference with Plaque Off either.
Im so happy your dentals went well. That’s such a relief. I think that’s a good idea on waiting. Im sorry Kitzel’s murmur has progressed. Strangely enough, my vet and the IMS did not hear Lacie’s murmur these last visits. If I wasn’t so preoccupied with my 3 misbehaving girls, I would have asked more questions on how that could be possible 🤷🏻‍♀️
Sending hugs to you all…
All of my small dogs have had dental issues but Sweetness' had all of her teeth removed by age 12. My girls go to a veterinary dentist (expensive but awesome) and he said genetics does play a part especially with bone loss which Sweetness had. Tessa and Josie are both missing a lot of teeth, but he said with toy breeds it's so hard to get into the mouth and keep it spotless so there's a greater incidence of dental disease in our little ones.

Re the chews for Sandi - Virbec is a good brand and he does recommend them, but we use Petzlife because the ingredients are a bit simpler.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts