Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had to do several lab runs to see if Lisi can do her dental w/the vet on Monday. I have gotten her liver enzymes down to normal!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Her ALP is only half way down to where it was & not in the normal range but the vet wants to proceed w/the dental. There are a few small abnormalities to her lab work but nothing of which to be alarmed. The alarming thing is mostly what just this particular round is costing---over 700$. I am wondering what others pay? If I add in all the previous lab work I would be over 1000.$ I know. She is worth it but I am curious.

Reactions: Annette & Dolly

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
10,048 Posts
Glad you got the numbers down. Which lab tests did you have done? A CBC and mammalian liver panel used to cost me about $400 for Lucky. There could be a supply issue with some of the agents required for the tests.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi! So glad you were able to get the numbers down! Fantastic job! Such a good Mom! When Cody got his dental it ran about the same amount. Dental cost me $600 with no teeth pulled. And that also didn’t include the blood work either. If Cody got a tooth pulled it was a $100 per tooth. Thank goodness it was only thick tartar. Little Lisi is such a Cutie ! Hope her Dental day goes well. Hope you are doing and feeling well too! 🐾🐾

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
We had an estimate for a Dental for our Chrissy which was over $1,000 and included some extractions. However, due to her Blood work which came back with very sad news, she will not be able to undergo her Dental. Chrissy is in her last stages of advanced Kidney Disease and our Vet, who specializes in Dental work, did not recommend that she be put through that procedure. He was honest enough to let us know that she might not make it if she did go through that.

·
Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,113 Posts
We had an estimate for a Dental for our Chrissy which was over $1,000 and included some extractions. However, due to her Blood work which came back with very sad news, she will not be able to undergo her Dental. Chrissy is in her last stages of advanced Kidney Disease and our Vet, who specializes in Dental work, did not recommend that she be put through that procedure. He was honest enough to let us know that she might not make it if she did go through that.
I'm so sorry to hear Crissy isn't doing well. Sending you hugs.

·
Premium Member
17,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, I am so very sorry to hear about Chrissy---did you know she was having issues w/kidney? Your vet was kind to let you know not to do a dental. I am concerned for Lisi but we can't get infection so trying to do the best I can here. She is overdue & I think this was the last of 3 lab tests (CBC & Chem panels) to see if she was better so we could go through w/the needed dental.
I will add Chrissy to my prayer list---big hugs to you!

·
Super Moderator
10,048 Posts
I am so sorry.

·
Super Moderator
10,322 Posts
I am so sorry. That's how I lost Sweetness this past spring. Hugs to all of you!

·
Super Moderator
10,322 Posts
Sandi, regarding costs. Typical blood work for a "senior" has run about $200 - $250 each time. Now for the shocker - dentals here (Chicago area) have cost between $800 at my regular vet with one extraction to $1800 at the veterinary dentist with bone grafting and multiple extractions.

I hope Lisi does well!

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Thank you to all of you who have posted regarding our precious Chrissy. And no, we did not have any idea that she was in such bad shape until our Vet got the Lab results. She had been having some issues for about two weeks before we took her to the Vet but never thought that she had such advanced stages of Kidney disease. She is having a hard time keeping food down but still eats everything that we put in front of her. She is two months shy of her 14 Birthday but don't think at this point that she will make it.Thank you all again for your thoughts and prayers.

·
Premium Member
17,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Holding you close in my heart & prayers---such sad news on our little Chrissy. May God be gracious to your baby girl. Big hugs to you!

·
Premium Member
17,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The 700$ I mentioned did not include the pre-dental labs (which we have done 3 times now!) & no extractions---so it is sort of the same as what Maggie pays. This is our regular vet & we go w/her because she really knows Lisi's history & gives her special attention. I wrote to her to ask some ?s I had about all of this & she wrote back that "while I can not guarantee Lisi will come out of this I do know that I will give that my fullest attention." Sobering news always. Please pray for her on Monday---& our vet.

·
Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,113 Posts
The 700$ I mentioned did not include the pre-dental labs (which we have done 3 times now!) & no extractions---so it is sort of the same as what Maggie pays. This is our regular vet & we go w/her because she really knows Lisi's history & gives her special attention. I wrote to her to ask some ?s I had about all of this & she wrote back that "while I can not guarantee Lisi will come out of this I do know that I will give that my fullest attention." Sobering news always. Please pray for her on Monday---& our vet.
Sending prayers for Lisi to come through the dental with flying colours. Dentals are so stressful for us Moms even under the best circumstances.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
I am just getting on my Computer now and just wanted to let all of you know that we lost our precious Chrissy this morning. She had gone down hill so fast and her quality of life was over.So we made the decision (with my Vet's blessing and 100% support) to let her go over to Rainbow Bridge. She was less than two shy of 14 years old and she gave us so much joy.
As many of you have gone through this, it isn't easy to let a beloved Pet go, But for their sake, and know that they are suffering, we make that dreaded decision. Fortunately, we still have our Toodles and Tiffany (our Cats) as well as our little Laci.

·
Super Moderator
10,048 Posts
I am sorry. It is so difficult when their time comes. I hope your heart heals quickly and the emptiness is filled with beautify memories.

·
Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,113 Posts
I am just getting on my Computer now and just wanted to let all of you know that we lost our precious Chrissy this morning. She had gone down hill so fast and her quality of life was over.So we made the decision (with my Vet's blessing and 100% support) to let her go over to Rainbow Bridge. She was less than two shy of 14 years old and she gave us so much joy.
As many of you have gone through this, it isn't easy to let a beloved Pet go, But for their sake, and know that they are suffering, we make that dreaded decision. Fortunately, we still have our Toodles and Tiffany (our Cats) as well as our little Laci.
I am so so sorry for your loss. My heart is breaking for you.

·
Premium Member
17,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Although I knew it was coming it is not something we can wrap our hearts around. . . please know that we will miss her too! You are always so loving & kind & helpful I just wish we could be that kind of friend to you at this time. Words can't take away the pain of loss but know that you have given her the best life possible. We are w/you in spirit. Much love to you!

·
Premium Member
Pat & Maggie (& Casey too!)
1,665 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that you have lost your precious Chrissy. My heart is hurting for you. I lost my Maggie this past May and I'm still heartbroken. Sending love and prayers to you.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts